Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I was going through some coins and this was marked regrade.

gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
So what grade would you guess it. Thanks for playingimage

Comments

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    MS62?
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Grip, it says teletrade at the bottom of the photo so I am sure someone will cheatimage--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, the pic on my monitor says 64. But, grading gold . . from pix ?? And of course, with me being a bit raw at the skill anyway??

I guess what I am saying is, I can be flushed down the grading toi-toi as irrelevant, but I sure like the look of the coin!

Drunner
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Pics are a bit small, but if it is 62 then I think a regrade is in order.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Grip, it says teletrade at the bottom of the photo so I am sure someone will cheatimage--------BigE >>

Yup,sure is.It's also in the properties.LOL Next time i'll try to make it more interesting.
    It's a 62 as you probably all know,now I need to find four others for the tripimage
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Look purdy! 63??
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    From the picture I would say that it is a candidate for upgrade.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>58 >>

I'm with you...58
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like an MS-64 at least, but somehow the photo looks too good (too clean, too free of marks) to be true.

What is it in, an MS-62 holder?

I have a 1907 No Periods eagle that is in an MS-62 that looks like it could be 1 or 2 points higher. But the services seem to have some consistently problems with the grading of those softly struck coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Wembley
    Welcome to the boards.And yes,thats what I thought when I pulled the triggerimage
    But like BillJones said, there must be something i'm missing.It's
    in an NGC holder,and i'm going to crack and send to PCGS.

It will be fun,little downside if it comes back 58.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would grade it...

That is some strike! Until I scrolled down to the date, I though I was looking at higher-relief 1907.

Too tough to grade from the pics... if it is as mark free in-hand as it appears, and the luster is there, I would not be surprised to see it in a 65 holder, or higher.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id say 63 maybe a 64
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Unfortunately, the images provided do not allow for a meaningful grade guess.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a killer 1911 $10 in MS62 I bought at FUN two years ago. The coin was a 62++ without any significant hits, no real hairlines and full field luster. Felt that a 63 would be an easy score. The coin came back 61 on the next 2 tries. I still have it. image

The irony will be that as soon as I give up on it.....then next guy will get a 63 on the first try. image
    That's how Indian gold works.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Mark; Best I can do on size.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭
    I really have no experience grading gold, but that coin looks amazingly close to mark free. Is that a hit(s) on the 9 and 0 of the date? That's about all I see. I see no obvious wear, but then again I don't collect or grade gold. I think it is a fine looking coin!
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very nice for a 62... what are we missing?

How about some new pics taken with it tilted different ways in the light?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Looks very nice for a 62... what are we missing?

How about some new pics taken with it tilted different ways in the light? >>

My guess, based on the assigned grade, compared to how nice the coin appears to look, is that there is slight friction on the Indian's cheek, but that we can't see it in the images. Or perhaps some light hairlines in the fields.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're right, Mark, in tilting my head around my monitor like an idiot, looking at the bigger picture, there could be a touch of rub at the cheek and temple, and highest edge of wing

Still, has a good shot at 63

(or 58)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file