Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you purchase a coin from someone with whom you didn't share the same...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
values, morals and ethics image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would have purchased the right coin at the right price from Hitler.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    At my level of values, morality and ethics, I have no choice! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • yup
    Positive transactions as a buyer-Utahcoin, CEOGBOSE, grote15, guitarwes, ms71, zrlevin, Durexmetals
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's only a coin transaction---not a marriage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>values, morals and ethics image >>

I suspect I've done so many, many times.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>values, morals and ethics image >>

Depends how badly I wanted the coin.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure I buy from many different dealers and collectors that I have never met. So I really have no idea what there favorite brand of beer is let alone who they date.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure I already have! In fact I know I have - I bought the bust dime currently in my type set some years ago at a major show from a large dealer from the Southwest - a year or two later I saw in CoinWorld he was convicted of multiple counts of nefarious activities.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Sure I by from many different dealers and collectors that I have never met. So I really have no idea what there favorite brand of beer is let alone who they date. >>

Root (beer) and my girlfriend... NOW you know! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how opposed to my values/ethics/morals they are.

If they do things that are so far off the wall (underage things, killing, serious drugs, etc), then no. No coin I want is worth me doing that (my own morals don't allow such).
    If it is just that they are a democrat, then yes, yes I would. Even democrats aren't THAT bad image

If they are a plain ol' thief, once again, no I wouldn't.
    If they are a known coin doctor, I don't think I would.

Each situation would have to be shown for me to make up my mind though as there is no cut and dry answer.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Tough question.
    I would say that there are some people that I wouldn't ever knowingly buy another coin from at any price. I guess that might make me a bad collector. People are addicted to many things and I guess I just wouldn't want my money going to enable someones addiction.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends...whatcha got for sale?

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends...whatcha got for sale?

image >>

MidLifeCrisis image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Yes, and I know I already have, as I've purchased a nice DMPL Morgan from a dealer whom I previously overheard ranting politics. Numismatics is a social hobby, and social hobbies should bridge differences rather than widen them. My political views differ from many fellow gold collectors, some whom are drawn to this area of coins because of the survivalist advantages of precious metals. (I concur with those advantages; I just disagree with which political processes are getting us to the point at which we will need them.)

I would not buy coins from someone like Hitler (the perennial favorite for worst human ever, though Stalin and Map Zedong both have him beat on sheer body count.) I boycott those who are engaged in fraudulent activity, and I would instantly stop interacting with a vendor were I to learn of them engaging in coin doctoring. Holding an opinion is a basic, fundamental right that should not interfere with the market. What one does with that opinion is another matter entirely.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends...whatcha got for sale?

image >>

Quite a compliment to Broadstruck about how superb his values, morals, and ethics are!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>values, morals and ethics...... >>

How is one supposed to ascertain the values, morals, and ethics of a new dealer that you meet for the first time at a coin show without asking a lot of personal questions?

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How is one supposed to ascertain the values, morals, and ethics of a new dealer that you meet for the first time at a coin show without asking a lot of personal questions? >>

I struck up a conversation with a dealer in Baltimore one time just being friendly...I had noticed a couple of coins in his case and I wanted to take a closer look. He proceeded to freely admit that he was a coin doctor and even started a little show and tell with me describing some of his examples.

I remained polite, found a natural break in the conversation and walked away. I will not buy from him.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a handful of dealers that I will never do business with, regardless of the coin they may have for sale... but there are many dealers that I do not agree with 100% regarding their values, morals and/or ethics that I will buy from if they happen to have the coin I need.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah i would

1997-present

• << <i>

How is one supposed to ascertain the values, morals, and ethics of a new dealer that you meet for the first time at a coin show without asking a lot of personal questions? >>

I believe the question assumes you do have some knowledge of the sellers morals. Obviously if you dont its a moot point.
  • I believe in the book of John it was said "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

Good advice I think.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchase a coin from somebody with different values, morals, and ethics from my own?

Shoot, I've done it all the time. Perhaps the majority of the time.

PS- of course there are some values and ethics which are relevant in a business transaction and others that aren't. Though I have done business with a great many people who are very different than I, they probably weren't so different in the relevant values, like basic honesty and such.

PPSS- and then there are one or two people, including at least one on these forums, who I will NOT do business with, even though they're perfectly trustworthy and knowledgeable. It isn't often that a clash of personalities gets in the way for me, but it has once or twice. If I simply cannot stand you, I won't do business with you, no matter how advanced a numismatist or honest a businessman you are. (These are very rare cases, though.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I'll answer it this way:

I'm not going to knowingly enter into a shady deal that might end up costing me.

[edit to add "knowingly"]
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you implying that I have the same values, morals and ethics as a coin dealer? image
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people that I would not want to buy from, but I suppose if they had some fantastic coin at the right price I'd probably cave.
  • If I knew the person in question didn't have good values, morals and ethics we probably wouldn't be communicating in the first place.
    Therefore, I wouldn't know what if anything he/she had for sale and would not be buying from them.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I guess some folks have a Big Numismatic Bone to pick with others.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course

Buy the coin. Not the holder
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• << <i>values, morals and ethics image >>

Well... I don't know...

I have done business with you.... image

personal note... I'll accept a letter from you anytime... no matter what type of stamp you use... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

• << <i>Of course

Buy the coin. Not the holder >>

Hey - that's a good line!
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    like the dept of the treasury, yep, even have subscriptions

(l8-)>>

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Values, morals and ethics......

I would not knowingly buy a coin from someone I thought was dishonest in a major way or whom has treated me rudely. This is different from someone who imo routinely prices his coins too high or wants to make more than what I think is a reasonable margin on the sale of such coins.

If someone falls into the categories I described above, he could offer he a genuine 1804 Silver Dollar at melt and I would pass, because I don't care to associate with people like them in any way, shape or form.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Do you know the values, morals and ethics of the people who own the market where you do your grocery shopping? How about the values, morals and ethics of the people who own the companies whose products you buy there? Is buying coins different? If so, why?

Ok- that's all the questions for now. image
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Ummm depends.

I've passed on several common VF/XF bust halves cause the dealer was an A-hole, but if a dealer had a prime example of a coin i didn't know if i saw it again - then yeah I would. You better believe I wouldn't pay him a dime more than was necessary though!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Happens daily already whether you like it or not.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows what hands one's coin has passed through before one got it?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I have, many times. Generally these things don't come up in discussion.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • You mean there are dealers out there that would lower themselves to my level of sin and debauchery?

Ron

imageimage
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    If you're speaking of buying or selling to someone I don't trust any farther than I can throw them, then often. But I recommend you guys stay away from such deals. --Jerry image
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A. How does one go about doing this comparison? Do Dealers come with some type of documentation?
    B. Nothing pleases me more than freeing a good coin from a nasty owner. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I have seen dealers who have Nazi memorabilia on display, I simply won't do business with them.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I will deal with someone unless they do something to me personally- there is one dealer who is fairly well known that I will never shop from because of how I was treated by them- a look of general disgust and totally ignoring my hello. (And it's not like they didn't hear, as they were looking right at me and no one else was at their table).

In fact, I won't even look at their wares, in person, in their full page magazine ads, or online.

Likewise, if someone is nice to me- above and beyond general pleasentries- I will be much more likely to shop from them, even if they should have higher prices or are a little harder to get access to, and even if they have nothing I want or nothing in my price range, I am going to at least make an effort to see what they have and hopefully give them some buisness. The only dealer I've ever spent into the triple digits with at one time (yet) falls under this category, he was nice to me, tried to help me out, so I helped him out by handing him 5 $20s. (In case anybody is wondering, it's Larry at Sea Eagle Coins- and I didn't just give him money, I bought stuff from him!)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    3 of my 5 restaurants have been purchsed from CONVICTED felons.. so a coin? no problem.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I would have purchased the right coin at the right price from Hitler. >>

It all depends on your perspective. As a Jew I would not.

As you're from Oklahoma City, I'm guessing this statement was made out of frustration because you haven't recently been able to add to your collection of Timothy McVeigh memorabilia.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I would have purchased the right coin at the right price from Hitler. >>

It all depends on your perspective. As a Jew I would not.

As you're from Oklahoma City, I'm guessing this statement was made out of frustration because you haven't recently been able to add to your collection of Timothy McVeigh memorabilia. >>

What if you could cherry pick Hitler and buy a rare variety worth many multiples of what you paid for it?image

• << <i>I have seen dealers who have Nazi memorabilia on display, I simply won't do business with them. >>

Strange thing about this... a local B&M owner, a Jewish man, also handles all types of historical memorabilia... I once noticed some Nazi stuff in his shop and, of course, questioned him as to how/why he would handle such mishagas...

He told me that he has a number of customers who are very active collectors of this stuff... AND THEY ARE ALL JEWISH... image

Go figure image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen dealers who have Nazi memorabilia on display, I simply won't do business with them. >>

Strange thing about this... a local B&M owner, a Jewish man, also handles all types of historical memorabilia... I once noticed some Nazi stuff in his shop and, of course, questioned him as to how/why he would handle such mishagas...

He told me that he has a number of customers who are very active collectors of this stuff... AND THEY ARE ALL JEWISH... image

Go figure image >>

Back in the late 1960's, I belonged to a coin club and there was a young Jewish man that collected Nazi stuff. He brought a large full sized bronze bust of Hitler to one of the meetings for show and tell. I always thought this was rather strange. I also know a black coin dealer that usually has several pieces of Confederate currency for sale.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I struck up a conversation with a dealer in Baltimore one time just being friendly...I had noticed a couple of coins in his case and I wanted to take a closer look. He proceeded to freely admit that he was a coin doctor and even started a little show and tell with me describing some of his examples.

I remained polite, found a natural break in the conversation and walked away. I will not buy from him. >>

I guess the value of his that was your opposite was intelligence (namely, HIS lack of intelligence). What kind of moron would freely admit he was a coin doctor to a new client?

With many successful, professional people I have worked, I have little idea of their specific values, morals, or ethics as it doesn't come into play and they are smart enough to realize that disclosure could jeopardize the relationship if there is not alignment between parties. It's actually quite a complex and potentially emotional subject if the two parties differ in their beliefs and practices (whether or not one person is actually "wrong" and the other is "right" - such as with MLC).

Just getting ready for a series of professional ethics classes for my students over the next few weeks! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen dealers who have Nazi memorabilia on display, I simply won't do business with them. >>

Go figure image >>

Back in the late 1960's, I belonged to a coin club and there was a young Jewish man that collected Nazi stuff. He brought a large full sized bronze bust of Hitler to one of the meetings for show and tell. I always thought this was rather strange. I also know a black coin dealer that usually has several pieces of Confederate currency for sale. >>

There are a lot of Jews (scholars in particular) that collect Nazi material just as there are a lot of African-American scholars that collect black racist material. When you talk to them you understand that it's not some backwards "admiration" of the material, but an attempt to understand/educate and to try an ensure that nobody forgets these darker days of our humanity.

Coins are great markers of history and often emblematic of the culture at the time of issue.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy coins from people that I may not care for as long as the coin was obtained legally. Buying stolen property or from Hitler? NO!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file