Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you purchase a coin from someone with whom you didn't share the same...

2»

Comments

• NO! There is a coin company I avoid because the owners and employees give substantial donations to political candidates I oppose (opensecrets.org) and who have raised money for groups that advocate issues in which I am morally opposed. The reason? I figure if I buy something from this company that I am indirectly enabling them to give more. No Thanks!
  • There are always limits.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I would have purchased the right coin at the right price from Hitler. >>

It all depends on your perspective. As a Jew I would not.

As you're from Oklahoma City, I'm guessing this statement was made out of frustration because you haven't recently been able to add to your collection of Timothy McVeigh memorabilia. >>

I'm not particularly interested in McVeigh memorabilia--if there is such a market and I suspect that there is--but, yes I would buy the right coin at the right price from him or anyone else.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

• << <i>You mean there are dealers out there that would lower themselves to my level of sin and debauchery?

Ron

imageimage >>

hehe, that's about what I'm thinking as well! Some of the crazy things I did growing up in Austin in the 50's, 60's and 70's probably should best be forgotten. For that matter, the 80's were pretty much touch and go, too!
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Here is another hypothetical:

What if Walter Breen were still alive, and he was a member of the CU forums...

Being such a great numismatist, would we regard him as an asset to the boards?

What if he then posted photos of himself in this forum fraternizing with under age boys?

Would we still think he was a valuable asset?

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I, too, am sure I've bought coins from people 180-degrees away from me politically, but unless they are trying to impose their views on me, I will buy from them and swap coin talk with them. BUT only if they are nice people. I've had one or two highly unpleasant interactions and I would never deal with these people again. However, I have to say, especially on these boards, that I have had FAR more good interactions than bad.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I would have purchased the right coin at the right price from Hitler. >>

It all depends on your perspective. As a Jew I would not.

As you're from Oklahoma City, I'm guessing this statement was made out of frustration because you haven't recently been able to add to your collection of Timothy McVeigh memorabilia. >>

I'm not particularly interested in McVeigh memorabilia--if there is such a market and I suspect that there is--but, yes I would buy the right coin at the right price from him or anyone else. >>

It's good to find out you've found a niche in coins after you lost your job at the trading desk when Enron went down.

In NYC a year or two ago it was all over the papers about a funeral home owner who was harvesting organs from cadavers for transplants.

In its purest form the free market is totally amoral.

Osama just released another video. He mentioned your name. He read your post and thinks you are the ideal buyer for a group of Kalashnikovs (slightly used) with fresh notchs on their stocks. And the price is 1c each. He will throw in a list of potential players in the secondary market, even drop-ship at no additional cost.

image in your further trading endeavors. You seem to have what it takes to be successful anywhere.

imageimageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I never have discussed ethics or morals with anyone selling a coin.
    If they are pleasant and open to short conversations, I will purchase.
    If they seem too busy to talk or I get the impression I am a "nuisance",
    I just walk away, even if they have a coin on my list.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a dealer, you don't have to be a people person, but I strongly suggest it.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    If the seller is dealing in stolen merchandise, you could be required to surrender the item with no payment, even decades later, such as the large cents allegedly stolen by Dr. Sheldon from the ANS collection.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>values, morals and ethics image >>

No.

• << <i>It's good to find out you've found a niche in coins after you lost your job at the trading desk when Enron went down.

In NYC a year or two ago it was all over the papers about a funeral home owner who was harvesting organs from cadavers for transplants.

Osama just released another video. He mentioned your name. He read your post and thinks you are the ideal buyer for a group of Kalashnikovs (slightly used) with fresh notchs on their stocks. And the price is 1c each. He will throw in a list of potential players in the secondary market, even drop-ship at no additional cost.

image in your further trading endeavors. You seem to have what it takes to be successful anywhere.

imageimageimage >>

With all due respect: Colonel Jessup, I enjoy your formidable intellect and knowledge of coins. But you frequently dance perilously close to crossing the line in RULE #3.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's good to find out you've found a niche in coins after you lost your job at the trading desk when Enron went down.

imageimageimage >>

With all due respect: Colonel Jessup, I enjoy your formidable intellect and knowledge of coins. But you frequently dance perilously close to crossing the line in RULE #3. >>

Jessup appreciates your adherence to protocol in addressing me when about to disagree. And all compliments, even those which are qualified in some way, are greedily accepted.

Would the part of rule #3 to which you refer be about in some way soliciting a transaction other than on BST? If so, I can see your point.

As to my appraisal of another's characterological issues you may in some way again be right.

Glenn Beck uses Nazi equivalents without seeming restraint, and I have a profound appreciation of his world view (No sarcasm emoticon available).

On a technical basis I have nothing but awe at how well-suited the poster to whom I referred is equipped to operate in whatever market he might choose.

Were there no leeway the image emoticon would not be available.

All I have to guide me in this issue are the screaming souls of 6 million innocents and the scarred lives of their survivors, some of whom were/are family and friends. Others have suffered as much in the situations/vignettes I mentioned. My moral outrage is surely influenced by my own personal perspective and warped by tribal prejudices.

I count myself as a member of the American tribe too, and only hoped that the outrages to which I referred would somehow be more easily available to those whose anguish I share more directly with but a slightly different angle of approach.

I can but fall back on Edmund Burke's aphorism (paraphrased), which Glenn could quote as facilely as I: All that is needed for evil to flourish is for men of good conscience to remain silent.

Now if Hitler were a coin doctor, that would be different.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file