Home Precious Metals
Options

For those of you who think gold is at a top:

Just wait until cities start to file for bankruptcy, and states default on muni bonds. Dont think thats gonna happen? Just wait. We are about 18-30 months away from wholesale defaults in every major market in this nation. When the scared money pulls out of municipal bonds, its going to flood the gold market. And if the U.S. FED starts to help these failing giants through some cute name....like "quantitative easing", or "internal stimulus", or however they brand it this time.....thats when the rocketship takes off!

Comments

• Options
    Spot on.

It will be interesting to see just how much revenue Ill. 66% income tax hike

really brings in ..... over the next few years. Would you move to Cook County (Chicago)?
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget China recently saying that the Dollar is a "relic of the past."

They are in "town" right now dictating to Dear Leader their terms after the default, jmho, hmm!
  • Options

<< <i>Spot on.

It will be interesting to see just how much revenue Ill. 66% income tax hike

really brings in ..... over the next few years. Would you move to Cook County (Chicago)? >>

I hear people are having trouble finding rental moving trucks in Ill!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Camden, NJ ~ Layoffs In case you did not see this.

One of the worse crime rated city's in USimage = scary sign of the times!!!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    My buddy and I argue about what our resolution is to help the state level agencies, I say watch systems deteriorate from the agencies to schools to general things like road maintenance.

He says our federal leaders won't let it get there.....SO I ask where is the stimilus going to come from? from our broke government? He says from private Corporate money, increase their taxes taxes taxes.....

I laughed in his face and said good luck getting politicians to vote that in.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...It will be interesting to see just how much revenue Ill. 66% income tax hike really brings in ..... over the next few years.... >>

They don't really have a "few years."

The beast will have to be fed again sometime in 2012.

According to the scheme's architects:

The income tax hike will raise about $6.3-BILLION

The "corporate tax" hike will raise about $1-BILLION

The $1-per pack "cigarette tax" hike will raise an undefined amount.
    (Actually, this hike will result in a LOSS of revs as smokers will go
    "elsewhere" to buy their cigarettes.)

ALL of the money collected will be used to "collateralize" a NEW
    round of BORROWING in the amount of $12.2-BILLION

The proceeds of that NEW float will go to:

$8.5-BILLION to pay "overdue bills."

$3.7-BILLION to pay a "missed" government worker pension payment.

As a result of the NEW loan - with borrowing costs added - the taxpayers
    will be on the hook for ANOTHER $6-BILLION in unfunded liabilities IN
    JUST 12-months.

What will happen when the NEW loan cannot be serviced in 2012?

The state will either:

1. Get permission to seek Bankruptcy protection; or,

2. Raise taxes AGAIN; or,

3. Ask Federal taxpayers to bail them out.

Since The Bernanke has said "no state/municipal bailouts will be made,"
    more tax hikes for IL taxpayers are the most likely "remedy" NEXT YEAR.

IF bailouts are REALLY "off the table," as The Bernanke claims, the pressure
    on gold prices will largely be limited to the psychological impacts of serial
    municipal/state defaults. Those impacts could be shortlived.

Bankruptcy, when available, is a healthy thing; not a process that destroys
    the debtor entity. Freed from their RIDICULOUS "obligations," most units of
    govt would again be seen, by markets, as VERY credit worthy.

The metals may be a VERY temporary rest-stop for the capital that awaits
    state/municipal post-default opportunities, but will NOT lead to a permanent
    spike in metal prices. OTOH, a Federal default could/would indeed result in
    a long lasting reset in metal prices.

Obviously, if Federal "bailouts" were squandered on rescuing state/municipal
    debtors, there would be price action that could easily accelerate the move
    toward a permanent reset in metal prices.

BUT, absent an actual Federal "default," we have to assume that the metal
    market has ALWAYS "priced in" the "mere risk" of such a default. The mere
    risk is one kind of price driver, but an ACTUAL default is a totally different
    force.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wait until cities start to file for bankruptcy, and states default on muni bonds. Dont think thats gonna happen? Just wait. We are about 18-30 months away from wholesale defaults in every major market in this nation. When the scared money pulls out of municipal bonds, its going to flood the gold market. And if the U.S. FED starts to help these failing giants through some cute name....like "quantitative easing", or "internal stimulus", or however they brand it this time.....thats when the rocketship takes off! >>

You got that right, Phil.
    Next month you get paid in cheese won from the Governor of Wisconsin this weekend!
    GO BEARS!!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    when illinois was about to go belly up they raised taxes just like all the states will do mores taxes, the flood gates are still open
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭✭
    When firemen get laid off, they might need to sell their gold to pay their living expenses.
  • Options

<< <i>When firemen get laid off, they might need to sell their gold to pay their living expenses. >>

Thank you for making it public exactly what an idiot you are. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When firemen get laid off, they might need to sell their gold to pay their living expenses. >>

Thank you for making it public exactly what an idiot you are. image >>

Come to think of it...the above quote about Fireman or any State or Local Bureaucrat being laid of is not that far fetched. It would not surprise me if it did happen in some of the affected States or Municipalities ...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    FWIW, the Chicago burb I live in is so broke that last Fall they announced that police and firemen would only get half pay until the city got some expected tax money from the state around the first of the year, after which they would get the rest of their money.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    We had a house in our state that the fire men just stood around and watched as it started as a small fire and then burned down to the ground. They protected the houses on each side of it. The reason was the home owner of the burning home didn't pay the $75.00 a year fee the county charges for fire protection that year. The home owner even offered to pay all the fire departments expenses if they would fight the fire but they refused to do so.
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they'd put that guy's fire out, does that mean NOBODY has to pay the county for fire protection any more, and they'll still get help they didn't help pay for?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>We had a house in our state that the fire men just stood around and watched as it started as a small fire and then burned down to the ground. They protected the houses on each side of it. The reason was the home owner of the burning home didn't pay the $75.00 a year fee the county charges for fire protection that year. The home owner even offered to pay all the fire departments expenses if they would fight the fire but they refused to do so. >>

The guy was a jerk for not paying the fee.
  • Options

<< <i>
    The guy was a jerk for not paying the fee. >>

Naw, he was just stupid for not paying the fee...

He was a jerk for trying to publicize it as if the city or fire dept did anything wrong... or as if he was owed the service.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naw, he was just stupid for not paying the fee...

He was a jerk for trying to publicize it as if the city or fire dept did anything wrong... or as if he was owed the service.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Naw, he was just stupid for not paying the fee...

image >>

I saw that all over the news... The VOLUNTEER Fire Dept wasn't at fault.. The homeowner was just too cheap to pay for the svc !
  • Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Come to think of it, isn't this the same idiot who made a post about gold is worthless or something like that? Just a desperate attempt at starting a intellectual conversation. Stick to your seated proof coins buddy, I'm sure when SHTF you'll be turning a profit. image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Come to think of it...the above quote about Fireman or any State or Local Bureaucrat being laid of is not that far fetched. It would not surprise me if it did happen in some of the affected States or Municipalities ... >>

Many small municipalities are manned by VOLUNTEER firefighters. Why can the big cities do the same?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Another $50 to $100 down, and the newcomers sucked in by the
    TV-pitchers will either head for the exits OR be "encouraged" to do
    some "bargain hunting."

Late last night, this list of proposed spending cuts was released. A
    false optimism - as predicted by many in November 2010 - could
    bring further downward pressure. Once everybody realizes that there
    will be NO meaningful cuts, the elevator should quickly reverse.

Stackers should prolly do nothing for a little while. Well capitalized
    paper traders should prolly get agressive with their guesses - if they
    have the stomach for it - and bet both directions alternately.

Additional Program Eliminations/Spending Reforms

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    I don't think gold has topped out yet, I'm still expecting an exponential blowoff, before a very serious dump, but I do think the worst of the municipal crises will most likely be over this year. time will tell

Plus, Meridith whitney and 60 minutes have already said the market will be devistating to munis image I think some of the shock has been built in to a degree..At some point this year, I think munis will probably be a screaming buy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Come to think of it...the above quote about Fireman or any State or Local Bureaucrat being laid of is not that far fetched. It would not surprise me if it did happen in some of the affected States or Municipalities ... >>

Many small municipalities are manned by VOLUNTEER firefighters. Why can the big cities do the same? >>

Most small municipalities dont build 2 1/2 story wood frame houses 4 feet apart. Have you ever been to a big city? With a volunteer fire department, response times would go from the current 2-3 minutes to at least 15 minutes or more. A 15 minute response time is ok for a fire in a building thats closest neighbor is 50 feet away....but try having a response time of 15 mins to a building on fire thats 4 feet from YOUR house!
  • Options
    There are a lot of houses in Chicago where you can stand in the gangway between two of them and touch both houses at the same time. We also have the tallest building in North America, The Sear Tower. You want to grab a hose and fight a fire on the 98th floor?
    TD
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make a couple of points, the big money started fleeing munis a month ago, check the fund flows. The state and federal govt will literally destroy the country before they allow defaults, now that the people have been warned. The only state default during the depression was AR, it went bankrupt trying to prevent all of it's cities and towns from defaulting. Whatever happens will not be pretty, but I'm not sure we can predict that outcome either.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Agree with the OP here. No way $1421 was tops, it was "a" top though. When we're at $2,000 next year - let's talk.
  • Options

<< <i>Agree with the OP here. No way $1421 was tops, it was "a" top though. When we're at $2,000 next year - let's talk. >>

Why is it next year now? I thought all the "parabolic uptrend" was this spring 2011?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to make a couple of points, the big money started fleeing munis a month ago, check the fund flows. The state and federal govt will literally destroy the country before they allow defaults, now that the people have been warned. The only state default during the depression was AR, it went bankrupt trying to prevent all of it's cities and towns from defaulting. Whatever happens will not be pretty, but I'm not sure we can predict that outcome either. >>

BTW There is nothing in the US Constitution that allows a State to file BK, i guess Arkansas didn't file...just defaulted on bonds? just curious.

i think States will be supported at all costs at the Federal level (that is what you are saying?)....regardless of what is said today from D.C.

• Options

<< <i>Why is it next year now? I thought all the "parabolic uptrend" was this spring 2011? >>

Still could be this year but I see $1500 or $1550 this spring and $1600-$1650 in the fall. This bull run has a long way to go and our economy has many ups and downs ahead. The recent "uptick" in equities looks over for now. It won't take much bad news this winter to push gold to $1500.

Never fear! Our money printing extravaganza isn't half over yet.
  • Options
    I'm confident in gold. RR, has been talking like bull run is history this week? Of course I may be misreading his comments???

I'll admit I'm flustered with all the comments since last week............???
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

"...BTW There is nothing in the US Constitution that allows a State to file BK,..." >>

///////////////////////////

Congress could legislate a "Chapter 8" BK.

Provided the statute did NOT include provisions for "involuntary bankruptcy"
    proceedings, there would be NO constitutional impairment.

The qualm is that state sovereignty could be encroached by the meddling; it
    would NOT, if the state could NOT be forced to seek BK protection.

It would take a rightwing govt to make the MUCH needed legislation happen.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wait until cities start to file for bankruptcy, and states default on muni bonds. Dont think thats gonna happen? Just wait. We are about 18-30 months away from wholesale defaults in every major market in this nation. When the scared money pulls out of municipal bonds, its going to flood the gold market. And if the U.S. FED starts to help these failing giants through some cute name....like "quantitative easing", or "internal stimulus", or however they brand it this time.....thats when the rocketship takes off! >>

Howz everyone enjoying Illinois politics and economics?? They raised our income taxes now (we already pay high property and sales taxes) and that's not going to be enough to fix the economic problems and the debt of the state. More government here means less $$ and fewer freedoms in the Land of Lincoln. Illinois is belly-up officially. Remember that no State is an island.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>"...BTW There is nothing in the US Constitution that allows a State to file BK,..." >>

It would take a rightwing govt to make the MUCH needed legislation happen. >>

Article 1 Section 10:

No state shall pass any Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts.

And this means the contractual pension obligations. I just dont see how a state can get around the United States constitution.
  • Options

<< <i>Article 1 Section 10:

And this means the contractual pension obligations. I just dont see how a state can get around the United States constitution. >>

///////////////////////////////////////////////

ALL BK statutes "impair" contracts.

Virtually EVERY issue likely to be raised by a "Chapter 8" was
    already addressed by SCOTUS in 1938, when Chapter 9 was
    greenlighted.

Municipal BK - Chapter 9 - already gives the BK courts the
    right to "cram down" provisions of a reorganization plan filed
    by a local/municipal govt.

"Chapter 8" would simply mirror Chapter 9.

The most "protected class" in the contemplated "Chapter 8"
    would likely be CURRENT recipients of pension benefits. ALL
    other prospective beneficiaries would be left to their best
    negotiating skills AND those of their union bosses.

Existing benefit recipients would be handled somewhat gently,
    but "future" beneficiaries of the "contract" would take a HARD
    but not fatal hit. There would be something left for the future
    trough, but not very much.

Pensioners would be at war with bondholders in such a scenario.
    The bond guys would take almost any deal they were offered;
    if the unions balked, the judge would be disamused AND could
    easily declare ALL/MOST of the union demands off the table
    and subject them to "cram down."

History shows that Debtor municipalities are treated MUCH more
    favorably than their private-corporation counterparts, in BK courts.
    The courts' primary interest in C9s is to "save" the debtor govt; if
    govt workers get the shaft, the courts are, generally, disinterested.

The inevitability of C8 legislation will become clear, IF there is ANY
    overt attempt by the Feds to print money to bailout the failed little
    govts. The peasants who oppose bailouts will be in the streets with
    pitchforks; AND, precious metals will get a nice bump.

At this moment, we have to take The Bernanke at his word: No
    Bailouts For Failing Govts.

If The Bernanke is NOT lying, the little govts will either HAVE to get
    legislative permission to go BK, or continue to raise taxes on a
    population that is NOT remotely interested in saving govt or its
    workers from "reorganization."

I think I know which choice the pols will make.

• Options

Yikes.

The NYT is on the story.

Chapter 8 Prospects

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << OTOH, a Federal default could/would indeed result in a long lasting reset in metal prices. >>

Yes, but in which direction?

At least in the short run, a Federal default - inability or refusal to redeem its bonds or pay its bills - could be deflationary rather than inflationary. It would freeze or reduce the amount of dollars in circulation and could cause the value of these dollars to stabilize or even rise, since they would continue to be needed for everyday personal and commercial transactions within the U.S. and abroad.

Most of the "legal tender" dollars circulating today are issued by the Federal Reserve, and most of these are backed by U.S. Treasury bonds. If the new Congress refuses to raise the debt limit ceiling this Spring - a distinct possibility - the U.S. will be unable to increase the supply of Treasury bonds, and consequently the Federal Reserve will be unable to increase the amount of circulating money.

If it is not allowed to borrow additional money, the Federal government will sooner or later be forced to delay or deny redemption of its existing bonds. This may cause the value of the bonds to decline, but it will not necessarily impair the value of actual spendable dollars if the supply of these is not increased.

If government gridlock brings U.S. money creation to an abrupt halt, a wave of deflation could result, which would be bearish for the price of gold until the issue is resolved one way or the other.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm sure you'll be OK. Your financial future is in the very capable hands of honest Bill Daley and will soon be transferred to the wise stewardship of the honorable Rahm Emanuel.

I don't wish you any misfortune; however, you're delusional if you think your job is ironclad safe.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a lot of houses in Chicago where you can stand in the gangway between two of them and touch both houses at the same time. We also have the tallest building in North America, The Sear Tower. You want to grab a hose and fight a fire on the 98th floor?
    TD >>

Sadly, that once great retailer of mostly American made goods appears like it's just gasping for air whenever we go there. Amazing it's even open for business and I used to really like Sears.

The building isn't Sears anymore either and foreign owned:

Willis Tower

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are a lot of houses in Chicago where you can stand in the gangway between two of them and touch both houses at the same time. We also have the tallest building in North America, The Sear Tower. You want to grab a hose and fight a fire on the 98th floor?
    TD >>

Sadly, that once great retailer of mostly American made goods appears like it's just gasping for air whenever we go there. Amazing it's even open for business and I used to really like Sears.

Willis Tower >>

They can call it whatever they want. I will call it The Sears Tower.

Many years ago City National Bank bought one of the landmark buildings in downtown Detroit, the Penobscot Building (which was the tallest building in town from the late '20's until 1970 or so) and renamed it the "CNB Tower." They even put up giant signs at the top with "CNB" on all four sides.

The local joke was "Hey! What Canadian radio station is advertising on The Penobscot Building???"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"...BTW There is nothing in the US Constitution that allows a State to file BK,..." >>

It would take a rightwing govt to make the MUCH needed legislation happen. >>

Article 1 Section 10:

And this means the contractual pension obligations. I just dont see how a state can get around the United States constitution. >>

State governments are just a wanna be federal government except most of them don't have anyone smart enough to keep 'em afloat. They are too divided by their short sighted legislators. States should be allowed to fail but unfortunately they are too big to fail (ie their economies are too important as a federal tax base). The pensioners might get screwed in the end but the states will get bailed out and their inability to take care of their own will be passed on as a national burden.

"spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Article 1 Section 10: No state shall pass any Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts.

The states are already in violation of section 10 of Article 1 by not allowing gold and silver coin to be the only payments for debt. Not adhering to the Obligation of Contracts would only be a continuation in that trend.

I'm confident in gold. RR, has been talking like bull run is history this week? Of course I may be misreading his comments???
    I'll admit I'm flustered with all the comments since last week............???

Yes, I was suggesting at least a short term setback in light of the fact gold and silver weren't able to achieve traction despite weakness in the dollar took since early December and especially with the significant drop over the past 2 weeks (81.6 to 78.0). With many other commodities and metals doing much better it would seem the banksters were lending an extra fist to gold. Now with options expiration right around the corner next Wendesday, that's always been a convenient time to accelerate the beating, esp. when gold has already been weakened. The gold to silver liquidity ratio turned it's momentum upward back in late November/early December which was an early warning sign of the PM's price trend changing. GSR has now achieved some strength that it hasn't shown since last summer and is providing additional resistance against gold and silver prices. The last time the dollar and gold fell in unison was back in the summer for about 2 months.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    How about if we declare Illinois bankrupt and throw the governor and the entire state legislature in jail and start over??????

TD
  • Options

<< <i>The states are already in violation of section 10 of Article 1 by not allowing gold and silver coin to be the only payments for debt. Not adhering to the Obligation of Contracts would only be a continuation in that trend. >>

////////////////

Article 1 Section 10

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

"Make" means to "establish as a method of payment."

The Federal govt is not prohibited from "establishing" any
    method of payment. The states merely permit Fed paper-money
    to circulate in commerce.

Likewise, BK statutes are Federal; state exemptions are allowed,
    in part, as elements of the states' rights to implement rules/regs
    that define the relationships between debtors and creditors.

Article 1 Section 8

The Congress shall have power to....:...establish...uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

If BK is an "impairment" to contracts, it is contemplated by the
    Constitution. Further, the risk of such "impairment" is priced into
    the value of ALL contracts upon their making.

• Options

<< <i>

TD >>

Willis Tower >>

We recently bought a gas range from Sears after having not dealt with them in years. I was just informed by a robot call that we are getting a delivery on Monday, this will be the third range they have brought. I guess the service guy couldn't fix the problem on the second one. I say guess because he told us he would call us on Friday, never called, this comedy of errors goes on and on. We had no stove for 10 days at one point. If they put half the energy they spend on automated calls asking us how we like Sears into getting a product to us that is either not damaged or doesn't work right, they might benefit. F"""" Sears, they should go under.
  • Options
    The pensioners might get screwed in the end but the states will get bailed out and their inability to take care of their own will be passed on as a national burden.

I don't think that the pensioners will get screwed in the way that you might think. I agree that the states will get bailed out, and the template is already in place - the Too Big To Fail excuse is exactly why when it comes to inflation and the total collapse of the dollar, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I don't care how weak gold gets. Math doesn't lie.

2+2=4, even now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting to see how the new "Tea Party" House of Representatives performs.

The big bailouts may be over.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I'm waiting to see how the new "Tea Party" House of Representatives performs.

The big bailouts may be over.

Let's see what happens with Kalifornia and Illinois. They're big on socialism and need big bailouts.

I knew it would happen.