Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade this 1875-P Twenty-Cent'er

Here is a nice 75-P 20 cent piece, looks better in hand than what my pics could show.
Regardless of current pricing, the 75-P is tougher to find in any grade than the 75-CC.
It appears to be fully original, what do you grade this at?

Comments

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF 50 ?
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50 would be my guess. I like it alot.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU 58
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be a circulated proof?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I like it too but I can't find the P mint mark. image
  • If you like it with these pictures, you'd really like it in hand.
    It has some blue/teal toning on the rims, and doesn't look as crusty.

As for it being a circ proof... it does have some evidence of a wire rim, so you may be on to something?

And as for the mint mark, it's very, VERY weak. image
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU53
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade the coin AU-50. It has the detail of a 55, but the luster is a bit too subdued for a 55. In addition, there appears to be a fairly significant mark across the obverse.

All of the 1875-P twenty-cent pieces, business strikes and proof strikes, were struck with the same die pair. There are two "die states" that I have been able to determine. One has no obvious polish lines on the obverse and the other has circular polish lines running from about K-11 to K-2. This is one reason why many 75-P business strikes appear prooflike, even in AU.

The 1875-P is indeed more rare than the 75-CC, but that Carson City provenance trumps the relative rarity of the Philly coin. Even rarer is the 76-P.

Nice coin, BTW... image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! image

This is a 53 in an old holder:

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice! image

This is a 53 in an old holder:

image >>

Nice example of an undisturbed 75-P in high grade.

The fields are semi-PL, no?

Is the old holder an ANACS white cache? It just seems to have the look (toning) of a number of AU double dimes I have seen in the old ANACS holders.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would call it a 58......
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless there is luster under that heavy toning, which I tend to doubt, the "old time" grade is EF-45. The slab grade might be AU-50, but you have got a scratch that runs from Ms. Liberty's right arm and into the right field on the obverse. For that reason I could never grade this piece AU-58.

It's a nice, old well preserved coin that survived as a freak of circumstance and not as a well-preserved numismatic item. For that reason it's nice, but not THAT nice considering the toning and the scratch.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Thank you all for your input.
    It does lack some luster, but there is still some underneath of it all
    I do agree it's in the AU range. And really does look better in hand, I just couldn't get the colors to pop out correctly.

And nice coin BG!
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS XF45. Enough luster for an AU50, but probably too crusty and subdued for PCGS.

NGC AU50

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy that coin in a 45 holder, and that's what I'd grade the coin.

That said, I do think the coin has an argument to be graded 50.

Nice coin. I really like the look.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Probably XF-45 or AU-50.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice example of an undisturbed 75-P in high grade.

The fields are semi-PL, no?

Is the old holder an ANACS white cache? It just seems to have the look (toning) of a number of AU double dimes I have seen in the old ANACS holders. >>

Thank You and it does have Semi-PL fields. It's in an old NGC holder.

<< <i>And nice coin BG! >>

Thanks, as is yours.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    53 and I like it! image
  • LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭
    45 was the number that jumped out at me at first, from the picture. In person, I might see it as high as a 53, if luster shows that we can't see in the images.

...Tom

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for 45, but then again, i wouldn't suppose AU is out of the question, either.

Edit- now that I've scrolled down and read the other responses, I think LRCTom and I have been on the same wavelength:

<< <i>45 was the number that jumped out at me at first, from the picture. In person, I might see it as high as a 53, if luster shows that we can't see in the images. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice high-end AU. I will go with AU58.
    Dwayne Sessom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file