Home Precious Metals
Options

No, no, Rhodium. Don't exert yourself :/

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 hurts ya?
  • Options

<< <i>20 hurts ya? >>

Less than 1% swing in a volatile market just kinda sucks.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>20 hurts ya? >>

Less than 1% swing in a volatile market just kinda sucks. >>

That only tells me one thing...price of Pal & Plat is driven up by speculators & not industrial demand, otherwise Rhod. would be up there with the pack.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    what you need is a rhodium ETF !!!

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now Weiss. Settle down. If Rhodium decides to take off for $8,000/oz. you won't be bored. It happened once - will it happen again?

Did we ever figure out why Rhodium went sky-high the last time? I don't remember ever seeing an analysis of any sort.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the same chart that's in my banks lobby. It's their CD interest appreciation rate over the past two years. I like the Rhodium trade as a spec play FWIW. Good luck...............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>That's the same chart that's in my banks lobby. It's their CD interest appreciation rate over the past two years. I like the Rhodium trade as a spec play FWIW. Good luck...............MJ >>

Even as a paper asset?
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't own physical rhodium except maybe a small cohen piece as a novelty. It's pure speculation. There is no market for it other than via Kitco.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Dont get me wrong Weiss, you are a giant of the physical PMs.....if I had your metal, i'd throw mine right in the garbage.

But there is something about a paper metals contract that makes me feel ill. You are hoping to hit the big homerun with a 300-500% upward move in prices, yet if it does move that dramatically, will Kitco have enough physical rhodium to sell to generate your....and everyone else's request for payment?

Theres nothing like physical. I know it exists. I can touch it, feel it, see it. I dont have to wonder if the metal I "own" even actually exists somewhere in some vault. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's the same chart that's in my banks lobby. It's their CD interest appreciation rate over the past two years. I like the Rhodium trade as a spec play FWIW. Good luck...............MJ >>

Even as a paper asset? >>

I've own uranium on and off for 15 years. I was married at the time and my wife insisted that I couldn't keep it in the house so I had no choice but to own uranium in paper form. Unless Weiss wants to be single again on a college campus Rhodium in a pooled account is prolly his best option. Phil, paper is always better but in this case there is no option and generally agree with your assertion. However, in any portfolio one should expose themselves to some risk. A Rhodium trade would be at the riskiest asset level and milk money shouldn't be used to buy it. MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Even as a paper asset? >>

I've own uranium on and off for 15 years. I was married at the time and my wife insisted that I couldn't keep it in the house so I had no choice but to own uranium in paper form. Unless Weiss wants to be single again on a college campus Rhodium in a pooled account is prolly his best option. Phil, paper is always better but in this case there is no option and generally agree with your assertion. However, in any portfolio one should expose themselves to some risk. A Rhodium trade would be at the riskiest asset level and milk money shouldn't be used to buy it. MJ >>

Actually there is a physical rhodium option with Kitco. However, it is subjected to "chain of command" policies that present a discounted buyback price in the event you decide to take actual delivery of the metal. The discount isnt much....about 5% or so IIRC. For quick in/outs paper contracts or ETFs are fine. I have never bought paper metal, but I can see where it would be a valuable tool to the speculative investor. However, its utterly useless for the metals stacker.

On a related note, if you had to speculate.......what would you say is the ratio of metal sold to actual metal owned by COMEX? By the leading ETFs? Im quite curious to know just how much you think they oversell their PM commodities through paper contracts.
  • Options
    <Dont get me wrong Weiss, you are a giant of the physical PMs.....if I had your metal, i'd throw mine right in the garbage>

You can have his gold. I'll take his hair

<On a related note, if you had to speculate.......what would you say is the ratio of metal sold to actual metal owned by COMEX? By the leading ETFs?>

guess. 50:1> 100:1

<Actually there is a physical rhodium option with Kitco. However, it is subjected to "chain of command" policies that present a discounted buyback price in the event you decide to take actual delivery of the metal.>

physical rhodium is not practical

MJ

• Options
    I agree its in the neighborhood of 100-1. So on a very large run up in prices.....if holders flock to profit taking....how does an ETF or COMEX survive a "bank run" type scenario?

Could paper metal be the next "bubble" as far as asset classes?

If there were a default by a major ETF...due to overselling....how much will that impact the price of physical?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a thin market. Not as thin as Osmium or Iridium, but still pretty danged thin

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was tempted to get a Cohen piece, but I'm holding out for D. Carr to make a cool Rhodium coin.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Why I dont invest in Rhodium

I have written about the rhodium market here several times during the last few years, and I want to repeat again to you my admonition: Buying and selling rhodium for speculation is only for those who can afford to lose large sums of money rapidly.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>Why I dont invest in Rhodium

I have written about the rhodium market here several times during the last few years, and I want to repeat again to you my admonition: Buying and selling rhodium for speculation is only for those who can afford to lose large sums of money rapidly. >>

As the saying goes .... the greater the risk etcimage
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942
    I can't wait to bring my Kitco Rhodium Sponge to one of my local dealers to sell and see them run or jump out the window.image
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that Rhodium is still down about $100 from when this thread was started.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that Rhodium is still down about $100 from when this thread was started. >>

True .. but it's up about $300+ since 5/24image
  • Options

<< <i>I can't wait to bring my Kitco Rhodium Sponge to one of my local dealers to sell and see them run or jump out the window.image >>

Why buy a sponge when you can buy into the Pool Accountimage
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone make Rhodium coins or rounds?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone make Rhodium coins or rounds? >>

Go back and read the thread again, then write out "I will google Cohen + Rhodium" 100 times image
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    This physician just healed himself. imageimageimage

Cohen's 1 oz Rd round!
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OMG Weiss, Fortuna is smokin hot....................MJ