Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A lil background info on F. C. C. Boyd...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Most of the F. C. C. Boyd collection was in the Stack's John J. Ford sales and here's some info I ran across on the web doing some research...

The mid-1940s were the twilight numismatic (coin-collecting) years for “Fred” C. C. Boyd, who in his life combined the fortunate circumstances of being a highly successful business executive and a discriminating collector of rare coins.

Actually, in the early years he may have determined to become a rare coin dealer. After Boyd held a mail-bid sale on Sept 17, 1913, the editor of The Numismatist commented: “We wish Mr. Boyd great success in his undertaking in the numismatic field.” However, although Boyd continued dealing in coins, including conducting an auction in connection with the American Numismatic Association (ANA) convention in August 1922, and having a large retail stock, he gained personal wealth as an executive of the Union News Co., which had kiosks in railroad stations and other public places.

While dealing in coins, he also avidly collected, sometimes accepting a challenge of a new series, building a fine display, and then selling it – as he did with his fractional currency in the late 1920s. However, as numismatists often do, he missed these colorful bits of paper and soon started a new collection. In 1937 he was the appraiser for the coin part of the estate of Col. Edward H.R. Green, whose holdings, among other things, included all five known 1913 Liberty Head 5 cent coins, part of a collection and accumulation valued by Boyd at $1,240,299.

Among the coins owned by Boyd and his wife Helen, was a 1933 Saint-Gaudens double eagle, which was proudly displayed at two or more ANA conventions (in the days before the Secret Service “witch hunt” to seize such pieces). To a journalist, Fred Boyd noted that he had all of the United States coin rarities he considered important (important caveat, as many rarities, Mint marks, etc., did not attract his attention), except for an 1804 Draped Bust silver dollar. Beyond that, he had vast holdings in Colonials, pioneer gold, patterns and other specialties.

In the early 1940s King Farouk of Egypt was one of the main buyers of rare coins, backed by the resources of the Egyptian treasury. Up-and-coming New York City dealer Abe Kosoff befriended Boyd, and in 1945, he bought en bloc his immense collection of pattern pieces and sold it to King Farouk. Boyd consigned his regular federal silver and gold coins to Kosoff, who by that time had Abner Kriesberg as a partner in the Numismatic Gallery as “The World’s Greatest Collection” crossed the auction block and created a sensation. The coins were of extraordinary quality, there was lots of cash to be spent and the results made (numismatic) history. Q. David Bowers, Coin World Magazine, May 19, 2003.

Starting in 1878, it seems that one of the major coin dealers on the era, David Prosky, started buying up all the remaining specimens of the proof cents, 3 cent pieces, and 5 cent pieces leftover at the end of the year. This hoard of proofs was accumulated throughout the rest of Indian Cent series and numbered in the hundreds of coins per year. This group of Indian Cent proofs was still intact when the entire hoard was bought by Frederick C.C. Boyd, I believe around 1910. Later these were mostly all sold to Howard MacIntosh of Tatham Stamp & Coin Co. By this time the coins had mostly acquired beautiful iridescent purple toning and were advertised as such in their monthly ads in The Numismatist throughout the 1940's and 1950's. Today these purple toned beauties are very tough to find.

Frederick C.C. Boyd was born in New York City on April 10, 1886 and died on September 7, 1958. He is visible to the numismatic world today through the sales of the John J. Ford Collection, the latter having acquired many numismatic items from Boyd. His employment was as an advertising manager of the American Tobacco Company in New York, later managing the Union News Company. During the 1930s, Boyd served as a board member of the National Recovery Administration, and later as a board member of the Office of Price Administration during the second World War. His numismatic interests were far reaching, from colonials to odd and curious, as well as political ribbons. In 1945 and 1946, Abe Kosoff and his Numismatic Gallery sold portions of the Boyd Collection under the non de plume "World's Greatest Collection."
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Informative read. Thanks

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the source of the info?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been an amazing life of collecting, relationships, money.....kinda like now but different. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    What is the source of the info?

"Q. David Bowers, Coin World Magazine, May 19, 2003." is noted at the end of the 6th paragraph.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been wondering where Broadstruck went. Now I know. He's in 2011.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Must have been an amazing life of collecting, relationships, money.....kinda like now but different. Peace Roy

He has quite a provenance.

It wold be great to be able to track his collection better.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

Ha I'm still around just don't pop on here very often anymore.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck .... You should 'pop' more often... always interesting contributions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@Hydrant said:

Ha I'm still around just don't pop on here very often anymore.

Our loss.

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Boyd’s world coins were sold in the 1975 Superior ANA sale. A wonderful sale. This coin is ex Boyd:

Wonderful

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread btw

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a friend of Thomas L. Elder, and is mentioned on a few of Elder's tokens.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is also ex Boyd, finest extant Argentinian Rebel 8 Reales. Key to the silver series for Argentina.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boyd was good friends with Wayte Raymond and many of the world crowns featured in Raymond’s books are actually from the Boyd collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file