Home U.S. Coin Forum

1913 type 1 Buffalo Nickel. Just picked this one up, take a look and tell me what ya think of this

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a sucker for the type 1 Buffalo Nickel, I not even sure how many I have. I love the look of these coins, they're sure not rare but I love the look never the less. I'm trying to complete my collection, and then another type 1 will come along and spoil the plan, and here is the latest plan wrecker. Comment are welcome, like always I like to hear what you all think. If you want to take a stab at the grade fire away as I have many pics from different light angles. Thanks for looking ...Joe

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes-I'm partial to this issue, too, and have a number of them in Mint state, most with varying degrees of color. Yours shows excellent color, a nice state of the dies and a full strike-it's a lovely example.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    snap 'em up, Joe!!image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if not for the excessive tarnish.... Cheers, RickO
  • You can't go wrong with a type 1 Buffalo.

Grade... NGC MS 65?

I would love to pick one up in 65/66 territory with nice eye appeal.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In person the toning probably looks fairly attractive. But I'm not big on black fly specks, and this coin has a few of those. Check out the one by the rim at 6k and the one below "FIVE CENTS" to name a couple.

Some collectors like toned copper-nickel coins, but the interest drops off once they get to be crusty. This one appears to be on the borderline, at least on the obverse. For the most part most collectors prefer these coins with the original gray-white luster. It’s easier to sell them that way unless the colors are bright. But then bright colors could be called AT.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one likes Type 1 Buffalos more than me, Joe, but the carbon specks here, particularly the one on the chin, would grab my eye every time (unfortunately). They might not bother others so much. The rustic toning is a look I have on a few of my buffalos and I must say it's not my favorite toning for the issue. You have always provided pretty nice photos but your images seem to be improving -- like the multiple angles.
    Keep posting em.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one likes Type 1 Buffalos more than me, Joe, but the carbon specks here, particularly the one on the chin, would grab my eye every time (unfortunately). They might not bother others so much. The rustic toning is a look I have on a few of my buffalos and I must say it's not my favorite toning for the issue. You have always provided pretty nice photos but your images seem to be improving -- like the multiple angles.
    Keep posting em.image >>

I can not believe you don't like the wart on his chin? You got something agaist warts?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Here's the grade if anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure this is the first generation holder. This coin kinda fills the gap, I now have a 64, 65, 66 and a 67 type ones. I love the look of this beauty and thanks for all the comments....Joe
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Based on those wide reverse rims, I was thinking this coin might be a proof!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

<< <i>Based on those wide reverse rims, I was thinking this coin might be a proof! >>

That exact thought went through my mind as well. The rims are very wide and sharp...
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love 'em:
    imageimage
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Dog - Look at your rims compared to drwstr123's.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    A smoking' hot 13 t1!! The reverse is close to 67. I'm enjoying your latest batch.
    Have you changed your lighting strategy?
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file