Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Hypothetical" Conflict with forum member on a coin trade: What would you do?

13»

Comments

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks, TomB. I think you are correct on all points. I posted this message just to further validify your post, clarifying Mark's post.

I, of course, will PM Mark to let him know that his post has been both clarified and that the clarification has been validated.

llafoe may possibly clarify and expound on some points. I think though, it is even more likely that he may refudiate at two words used in this post, he, being always one who eschews obfuscation. Furthermore, he will probably do so in a succinct way. >>

Be nice! image

P.S. Why use a "p" when an "f" will suffice? image >>

Yes, you are right, but you're also disappointing me. No refudiation?
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, any time you get 2 lawyers involved...... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks, TomB. I think you are correct on all points. I posted this message just to further validify your post, clarifying Mark's post.

I, of course, will PM Mark to let him know that his post has been both clarified and that the clarification has been validated.

llafoe may possibly clarify and expound on some points. I think though, it is even more likely that he may refudiate at two words used in this post, he, being always one who eschews obfuscation. Furthermore, he will probably do so in a succinct way. >>

Be nice! image

P.S. Why use a "p" when an "f" will suffice? image >>

Yes, you are right, but you're also disappointing me. No refudiation? >>

At least you're consistent... but I don't wish to rePudiate.

I'm like Cyndi Lauper... I just wanna have fun! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Life is too short to make a huge ordeal over this, as it's a real petty issue... Just rubber-band a $5 bill to the slab and move on.

This isn't any worse then buying a coin on ebay from poor images with a return option. >>

image >>

I think it is worse. I have already mentioned this, but based on Al410's's last post to this thread, now, it sounds to me as if he is unwilling to allow John to return the coin, even if he is willing to pay postage both ways. "....Either way since you chose this route I consider our transaction over."

• << <i>By posting the dealer code of ethics only, you left the meaning of you post less clear than if you had posted both codes of ethics. >>

How would you (in general- not directed at any specific poster) feel about the ANA if the general membership was held to a lower standard than dealers? image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Life is too short to make a huge ordeal over this, as it's a real petty issue... Just rubber-band a $5 bill to the slab and move on.

This isn't any worse then buying a coin on ebay from poor images with a return option. >>

image >>

I think it is worse. I have already mentioned this, but based on Al410's's last post to this thread, now, it sounds to me as if he is unwilling to allow John to return the coin, even if he is willing to pay postage both ways. "....Either way since you chose this route I consider our transaction over." >>

$5 return fee caused all this? I know it is a principle thing, but I was also taught to pick your battles carefully. This is one battle that just
    is not worth the original $5 demand. >>

Yes, you are correct! However, I have submitted a bill for $300 to each party since I thought about their conflict while on the throne, and because I gave them both advice. Which reminds me, I need to send them another bill for $50 each, for this post.

• << <i>

<< <i>By posting the dealer code of ethics only, you left the meaning of you post less clear than if you had posted both codes of ethics. >>

How would you (in general- not directed at any specific poster) feel about the ANA if the general membership was held to a lower standard than dealers? image >>

You are correct! Excellent question. And, since this will give me another billing opportunity, I would say that dealers should be held to a higher standard, unless of course, the dealers are paying me for my opinion, in which case I think the dealers should not be held to a higher standard. Any further questions? Please, take your time.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I have dealt with Coinlieutenant before and had NO problems with him and would deal with him again anytime. A man of his word and full of integrity from my experience with him.
    Second, I have never dealt with the other party, so have nothing to say (good or bad) as I can only see what others have seen here.

That said, I saw the coin's pics when they were originally posted on the BST for awhile. Looks nice, from the photos, but something bothered me. I think that some of the glare on the slab, and the lighting/tilt could easily hide spots or issues. John, would love to see some pics from you since you have the coin in hand, and point out the spots that way.

From the start, if someone were to say, in response to a specific question, that the pics were what to use, then I would have an alarm going off in my head (they don't know what they are talking about, they don't want to admit there is an issue, or something else). Regardless, I would likely say "thanks, but no thanks" at that point.

I've tried to trade coins, on the board, a couple of times.....not really that fun to do I found out. There is a certain member that I tried it with and that soured me to doing that going forward. Not quite as bad as the trade mentioned here, since we both paid return shipping and there were harsh feelings, but bad enough.

I would never want to saddle anyone, particularly a friend or board member, with a coin from me that they didn't want...especially if it were in the first few days after they received it. Makes me think that the original purchaser got the coin and saw issues and either couldn't, or wouldn't, return it and this was his way out.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets see, this thread is about 2 millionaires upset over who should pay 5.00 postage, I'll be right back-gonna check out the new State Quarters in the other thread--------------------BigE

Ha!! I wish!! Those of you that know me know that this not about the money. Remember the Penny Pincher 2004 incident BigE? image That wasn't about the money either...

For Al340, I'll send you your coin back. Let me know when you get it. For the record,I won't be doing any more business with you, nor recommending you to anyone here on the boards. All I ask is that you go ahead and post, on this thread, how much you want for postage and I'll send you a check or cash. That way everyone can see how much your rep was worth.

If you want to just send the coins back to each other and leave it at that, go ahead and reply to that regard as well. I will delete all my posts in that event after we have our respective coins in hand.

One of the reasons why I like this board is that we generally police each other. So when I said I would take it to the next level, I meant it and this is where we are. Your choice. image >>

Well done. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Irish proverb: A man who squanders his reputation may never regain it.

Or better yet: He'd offer you an egg if you promised not to break the shell.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Other than for entertainment, why must rubbish threads like this always be posted?

This is a he said, she said over a $5.00.

Its funny how people here will play dealer until something happens. Then they become cry baby collecrtors who have to plead to the forum.

Work this stuff out privately-please!

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Other than for entertainment, why must rubbish threads like this always be posted?

Its funny how people here will play dealer until something happens. Then they become cry baby collecrtors who have to plead to the forum.

Work this stuff out privately-please! >>

This is a valid point, and I am surprised more people didn't fall into this camp. Buyer has made the case against seller plain for all to see, but even buyer acknowledges his assumption as to both parties approving the received goods before the deal is finalized. If that was a key term in his opinion, could he have made it known to seller so they might have then discussed other issues, like return postage? Of course he could have. Since the terms were not made clear, both were at fault to some degree, and they both should have had the sense to give a little to reach a mutually satisfactory result.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Wow. I attempted to look at that Mumu thread - now there is this, and I only looked the first post. All I can say is when the the buyer asked a specific question and did not like the ambiguous answer....well.

Eric
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find I am less fond (but still very fond) of both of the primary participants in this situation, as well as not as fond of all of the posters responding so far

except snake. my fondness for him has grown during reading these recent posts

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, to clear some stuff up..

First, I never outed this guy, I only posted a poll with all details masked to keep it anonymous. The majority of the responses were to simply just send the coin back and pay for the postage, which is what I was leaning towards doing anyway. AL410 is the one that outed himself and that is when people really got involved.

Second, it may not have been in the way that he wanted it to go down, but after he corroborated what I said, I wrote him that I would send the coin back and to let me know how much shipping. He then wrote back and said that I had ruined his reputation and that I was stuck with the coin, even if I sent him postage for both ways. (That is 10 dollars for all you math wizards throwing around the 5$ amount)

Third, based on how he posted his thread saying that he was probably going to trade the coin eventually, how he dodged my question about the carbon spot, and how he then used his reputation ruination (which he did btw) as an excuse not to take the coin back at all, I am thoroughly convinced that it was his plan to get rid of the coin as soon as he could to get out of a mistake.

Fourth, I have had two dealers write me via PM telling me that they will not deal with this forum member due to prior issues. I will leave it at that. They can chime up if they feel the need.

Fifth, as I have repeatedly said, this was NOT about the money. It was about making a point. For those of you that want to say it is petty and take shots, go ahead. It is about the principle to me, and to keep this place as free of unscrupulous people as possible. My personality is very much attuned to fairness and justice type issues. Ask BigE about the Penny Pincher in 2004. Some may think it is funny...but I was PISSED that day...and that was over some wheat cents. There are board members and dealers on and off this board with whom I have done six figure deals on approval. I have also sold $10 coins on the boards. I would handle a breach of trust or etiquette the same way. Only thing I would do different is get the police involved if the amount of money warranted it.

Sixth, DaveE, this is not my first rodeo. I am not whining as a dealer or a collector. I never whined, never asked for help, simply an opinion about a situation that I was facing. A situation without names or specifics. I am writing however, as a Life Member of that ANA and I am making a point as a numismatist in a community that relies on trust to conduct business. We all may not agree on certain things in the hobby, but honesty and integrity about money and returns are qualities that all longtime members of this community take very seriously.

Lastly, thanks to all who commented intelligently on the thread and wrote me PMs to discuss, whether or not you took one side or the other. For those that didn't, well, RTFT. image

Oh...and Adrian...no more weed buddy. Save some BCs for "Incredible Coins" image

Peace. I'm heading to the rack.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    It's almost better if you read the last post and go backwards to page 1.

I have to ask, what is "For those that didn't, well, RTFT."

RTFT ???
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
    Now that this very real hypothetical has evolved before us, it is difficult to imagine how seller thinks anyone is going to take his side since he appears intent on keep buyer's coin regardless of postage. What kind of a solution is that?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RTFT = read the futternutting thread

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    An OFR-ism. Here? It's been a strange night.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My head hurts.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RTFT = read the futternutting thread

MJ >>

Got it, since I do not venture abroad (OFR) I had no clue...me thinks I shall leave that one out of the current acronyms list in my sparse sig-line.

Just glad this is not a Military Swap Site and they were swapping hand grenades.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

• Would it help if I sent you each $5 to ship the coins back and settle this thing?

<< <i>Lastly, thanks to all who commented intelligently on the thread... >>

You're welcome!
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Other than for entertainment, why must rubbish threads like this always be posted?

I'd bet that Dave and I would split paying the postage to end this conflict. But there's the chance someone else here would pay double that to keep it going.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

<< <i>

I'd bet that Dave and I would split paying the postage to end this conflict. But there's the chance someone else here would pay double that to keep it going.

image >>

I'd pay double to keep ColonelJessup going... CLEAR! image
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I'd pay double to keep ColonelJessup going... CLEAR! image >>

Oh great. DaveE just sent me a PM congratulating me on my very first fanboy. The disgust, devil, clown and big grin emoticons were used in such a way as to make it clear that this was not a compliment.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • I totally understand why some members ("heh heh...he said members.....") don't like threads like these.

However, remembering a song by Monty Python (Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.....) causes me to say:

Maybe we have learned some things from this thread:

1. When someone doesn't directly answer our question, a red flag should go.
    2. Whenever you are considering a coin, YOU make sure it doesn't have any spots that botther you. (Almost all coins have spots of one kind or another.)
    3. RTFT
    4. If you're a member of the ANA, you have to give a return privilege.
    5. For some peculiar reason, TDN knows quite a bit about weed including the fact that there is good weed and bad weed.
    6. When a person says in a flame thread about them that they will not become a part of a flame thread, they have become a part of a flame thread.
    7. Mark Feld is tricky, very, very tricky.

There was one more, but I can't remember it. Sorry.

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I did not read the whole thread but when you seek out a coin from a collector that he just purchased and he shows you very good pictures of it I think it's a done deal. If this was a dealer- yes I would say a return was in order if not satisfied.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd bet that Dave and I would split paying the postage to end this conflict. But there's the chance someone else here would pay double that to keep it going.

image >>

The postage? You can't handle the postage!

uhh, that sounded better in my head ...
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, in ANY trade, if either party is unsatisfied, regardless of reason, then the trade should be nullified. Both parties should return their trades and both parties should be responsible for their own postage.

I would not and will not deal with someone who felt otherwise.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    >> The postage? You can't handle the postage!

Nice...

As far as keeping ColJessup going...well...I hope we can, but he ain't no spring chicken. image

Sorry for the RTFT comment, after sitting in traffic and the car for 4.5 hours in Bay Area traffic, I was ColJessup level cantankerous.

<< <i>I totally understand why some members ("heh heh...he said members.....") don't like threads like these.

However, remembering a song by Monty Python (Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.....) causes me to say:

Maybe we have learned some things from this thread:

1. When someone doesn't directly answer our question, a red flag should go.
    2. Whenever you are considering a coin, YOU make sure it doesn't have any spots that botther you. (Almost all coins have spots of one kind or another.)
    3. RTFT
    4. If you're a member of the ANA, you have to give a return privilege.
    5. For some peculiar reason, TDN knows quite a bit about weed including the fact that there is good weed and bad weed.
    6. When a person says in a flame thread about them that they will not become a part of a flame thread, they have become a part of a flame thread.
    7. Mark Feld is tricky, very, very tricky.

There was one more, but I can't remember it. Sorry. >>

I hope we (ie the buyer in this hypothetical) learned more than just that. When you see a coin and contact someone and say you want it and there is a small profit in it for them if they send it your way, add something in the communication to the effect that the coin must first be approved in hand before the deal to be complete, and sort out the postage and restocking fees and the like beforehand.
    I brake for ear bars.
    While for new people that I have never dealt with, I would certainly do that, but for a collector or dealer with any scruples, it is assumed unless specifically stated otherwise.

J
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    See what happens when you stray from Swiss and Victorian coinage. imageimage
    Very true...lesson learned!
This discussion has been closed.