Home U.S. Coin Forum

Define "CULL" (Take the Poll)

Easy, just vote.

Comments

• USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of variables that go into deciding if a coin is a cull. Your worst option wouldn't be a cull in a rare series or variety....also, you leave out the guys who collect holed coins with every option. Not nitpicking your poll, just saying image

Edit to add:

My opinion of a cull coin: A common coin which is heavily worn/damaged and is obtainable in higher grades with a reasonable amount of searching/cost.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Definition: Something I can afford.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Untill GSA got hands on it , "CULL"

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You need a choice for just "Damaged;" culls are not necessarily holed and I interpret the "/" symbol as the term "and" not "or."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would define a cull as 'a common coin which is heavily worn', although damage could also enter into the definition. Cheers, RickO
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Anything I throw out from the refrigerator.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While a holed coin is certainly a cull, a hole is not a requirement.
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Cull = coin I don't like

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cull = coin I don't like >>

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree a hole is not a requirement of a CULL.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cleaned
    AG or below grade wise
    minor damage
    problem coin

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to me, "cull" just means, "doesn't qualify for the grouping"

if we're talking BU rolls, Problem-free AUs are culls

if we're talking "ave circ" indian cents, the slick, bent, corroded, holed, or green ones are culls

if we're talking bulk 90%, the culls are the holed, slicks, bent, or otherwise "stick out" of the group and make the buyer say, "hey wait a minute..."

i don't know that any of the poll answers, per se, fit my understanding of the term... it can't be universally defined but depends on the circumstances.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Easy, just vote. >>

No, it's not.

All of your answers have "holed" in them. I've seen loads of culls that didn't have holes.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and I've seen lots of holed coins that definitely weren't "culls"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I interpret the virgule (the "slash") as meaning "or," not "and"
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    something that id put in the bottem drawer in the desk in the celler that no one uses and forget about it
    Cull = A coin that is profoundly ugly, profoundly worn, profoundly damaged or WAY below average for the item in question.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Spots (water or carbon) do not a cull coin make.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • A coin with so much wear the date cannot be discerned.

<< <i>...and I've seen lots of holed coins that definitely weren't "culls" >>

This is not coin, but it's political medalet from Martin Van Buren's 1840 presidential campaign. It's holed, but it's not cull, especially with it's 170 year old ribbon still hanging in the hole.

I beleive that you have a 1797 half dime with hole and VF sharpness, don't you Bailey? It would hard to call that a cull although it can't be graded.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I think of a cull as something that belongs in a junk pile.
    Having little value should be part of the definition.

We wouldn't throw a 1794 starred reverse cent in the junkpile even if it has some problems.
    Ed
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Martin Van Buren >>

OT, but learned recently that he is our only President to have spoken English as a second language. His family was hard-core Dutch and he spoke only Dutch for the first several years of his life.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

<< <i>

<< <i>Martin Van Buren >>

OT, but learned recently that he is our only President to have spoken English as a second language. His family was hard-core Dutch and he spoke only Dutch for the first several years of his life. >>

Maybe that was why he was cagey in expressing his positions on the issues. Maybe he didn't understand English that well. image

Seriously Van Buren was a master politician who kind of mastered himself out of the White House.
  • Holed or damaged or slick is my vote.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never considered a worn coin, no matter how badly worn, to be a cull.....just damaged coins (holed, gouged, bent, dented, mashed, numerous cuts, etc.)

If the definition of profoundly ugly meant a cull, then all Ikes, SBA's, and Bridgeports would be culls.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A coin with so much wear the date cannot be discerned. >>

One example where this wouldn't be true is the 1916 dateless Standing liberty quarter. Even without the date it is still possible to attribute it, making it a 1k +/- coin.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any difference between "cull" and "filler"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    A cull is a coin you would throw away. If you keep it, it has not been culled!image
    ED

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file