Home Precious Metals
Options

Poll: what % of your household net assets are in precious metal bullion?

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
to the nearest 10%?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you consider home equity as part of this equation? Are you looking for the % of net worth in pms? Or are you looking for the % of "total investments" in pms?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    ? i guess i should count the gold flaked paint on the Notre Dame football helmets? still 0-9% fer sure.

• Options
    net worth= everything, all household assets.

count the melt value of rare coins, jewelry, and silverware, picture frames, everything precious metal in PM total

count all paper (stocks, bonds, etc), liquidation value of a business, all real estate equity, resale value of cars, furniture, numismatic value of coins, value of other art or collectibles, any other assets in total assets (to the extent that they're relevant to the total)

feel free to comment in the thread how the relative percentages have changed in the past few years, both due to fluctuations in the asset classses and due to strategic changes by you

• Options
    Very interesting results, thanks for your responses.

about 50% are in the less than 10% camp (I'm about at 10% myself)

one in eight poll respondents are over 50% weighted in PMs

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I think there may be other factors not considered by your poll. According to the poll, I am at ~25% PMs. However, I am a college student without a steady income or property, so it may skew the results a bit to the high side, whereas those who own homes will have their percentage much lower.
    Zach
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Is lead in the form of bullets considered precious metals?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is lead in the form of bullets considered precious metals? >>

Very precious!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting results, thanks for your responses.

one in eight poll respondents are over 50% weighted in PMs >>

I agree that this a very interesting outcome. And who can blame these people for saving their money in the form of real money? image I think it makes the most sense of all, even those with 80-100% exposure to PMs.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    My place is over 75% paid for, and pms make up almost all of the remainder of my net worth at this time. The stock market doesn't interest me anymore.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Interesting results.

I am in the 50-59 range but I own basically nothing except an old car and few books/DVDs/furniture.
    Adding my wife's assets it will probably go down to 0-9%.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25% of net worth. Not bad considering it was 0% on January 20, 2009.
  • Options
    Own a 350k home, no mortgage.
    15k in metals
    15k in the stock market

That's all.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every dollar I have (excluding coins) is invested in PM's and mining stocks.

My wife has her own investments.

I tried getting my wife to invest in silver when it was $9.50 an ounce but both she and her (our) financial adviser thought that it was a risky and foolish moveimage
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    My fiancee' removed her retirement funds shortly after I did, paid the penalties, paid the taxes - and we both bought Mint collector gold & platinum bullion heavily in 2008. If we had to make that decision again today, we'd do the same thing.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    49% of the people polled have 0-9% of their total net assets in precious metal bullion. And this is being asked in a precious metal forum... Interesting results!
  • Options
    Just maybe some are too smart to answer that kind of question
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I tried getting my wife to invest in silver when it was $9.50 an ounce but both she and her (our) financial adviser thought that it was a risky and foolish moveimage >>

image Might be time to seek a new finanicial advisor ! ! ! image

Hope you "Rubbed It In" GOOD ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Even though this is a precious metal forum I am surprised by the responses showing all or nearly all their money in metal. That seems radical to me.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2016 10:21AM
    as someone pointed out, demographics plays a part in this.

25 years ago, I would have answered 80-90% metal (primarily silver), the balance of assets simply an old car, a bit of cash in a savings account.

now, I'm more diversified with metals as an asset class taking 3rd place, behind stocks and real estate

• Options
    I'm at 40% so I clicked 40-49%. I'm really not worth much. image

About $100K net worth and about $40K in PMs. I wouldn't recommend most people going that high but - what the hay! image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I tried getting my wife to invest in silver when it was $9.50 an ounce but both she and her (our) financial adviser thought that it was a risky and foolish moveimage >>

image Might be time to seek a new finanicial advisor ! ! ! :1doh:

>>

No Kidding!!

I could tell you stories about this guy.

He does know a lot about other investments, which makes my wife happy, (you know what they say.... "happy wife, happy life"), but he just doesn't understand precious metals.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    my % is high since I have very little cash image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I tried to have a lot, but since oil hit $90 and stocks are getting fed money thrown at them as fast as it is printed, I'd say my gold, silver, and Plat have not kept up.
  • Options
    two more votes would put us at 100 responses

• Options
    I just moved up a category this week... anyone else? image

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just moved up a category this week... anyone else? image >>

I moved from 25% in January 2011 to 45% now. I've been busy buying.
  • Options
    Moved it back down below 10%. Sold some gold and silver to buy some concrete, brick, pvc, trees, and sod.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My fiancee' removed her retirement funds shortly after I did, paid the penalties, paid the taxes - and we both bought Mint collector gold & platinum bullion heavily in 2008. If we had to make that decision again today, we'd do the same thing. >>

2008 W was a good year for me as well.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Day like today gotta be tough for those in the 70-100% camp. Got Prilosec?

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Not tough at all for those who are invested longer-term. I care only what the price is likely to be in five - ten years. Today's market is but a discount market.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not tough at all for those who are invested longer-term. I care only what the price is likely to be in five - ten years. Today's market is but a discount market. >>

I heard this in 2000. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    I heard this in 2000.image

Gold in 2000: $300/oz.

Platinum in 2000: $500/oz.

Silver in 2000: $5.00/oz.

Dow in 2000: 9,800

I'm just sayin'.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I heard this in 2000.image

Gold in 2000: $300/oz.

Platinum in 2000: $500/oz.

Silver in 2000: $5.00/oz.

Dow in 2000: 9,800

I'm just sayin'.image >>

You know what im talkin' 'bout.

• Options
    Very interesting results. I wonder what the change would be if we look at solely investments and exclude cars, house, and other not-so-liquid assets.

I am assuming that with as many metal heads as we have here, the result would change greatly since (i am assuming) relatively few people on the boards have over 20-25k in metals, yet have houses worth many fold that amount.

Im a hair under 20% ('till I get the kilo bar from piecesofme, thanks by the way!!) yet I don't really much else other than my paid off vehicle (which I don't include in my financial assessments) and what I have on my back.

Rg
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    Calculated im at 14%
  • Options
    I factored in equity on houses and cars, as well as savings. I chopped off 1/3 off my business savings, since it's pre-tax, roughly estimating how much of it I don't actually get to keep. Rather than raw precious metal content, I used the numismatic worth of my gold/silver holdings. An 1839-C quarter eagle may only have 1/8 an ounce of gold, but even at PCGS-graded XF40, it is worth considerably more than $220-225.

I got a rough figure of 10%. Yikes. Time to hit the coin shows!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    61.59%
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    Day like today gotta be tough for those in the 70-100% camp. Got Prilosec?

Is there something we should be concerned about concerning precious metals? I really don't think there's a problem, in terms of precious metals valuation. All things considered, I don't see a safer bet right now than precious metals, and that's been true (for me) for at least the past 4 years.

I've got all of my investment antennae up, hoping to see a reason to diversify out into other assets. I don't think I'll budge until after the next election is completed digested. To do otherwise would be absolutely flippin' crazy, in my opinion.

The Euro is not going to be cured. As nuts as it may be, the dollar is seen as the safe haven currency again (at least it is this week), which only gives a big green light to the Bernankes and Geithners of the world to burn through more money creation in an attempt to liquify the US credit markets that are already at rock bottom rates (because they can't attract buyers for such a bogus currency without having the Fed "buy" their own creations).

Financial and currency meltdowns don't even mean anything anymore. They can re-define "money" now, any time they want. I honestly don't know how long they can keep it going before there's a washout of major proportions, and I don't just mean Bear Stearns, Lehman, Citi, WaMu, Fannie, Freddie, Indybank, AIG, GE Capital, Wells, GM, Chrysler, Countrywide, Wacovia, Merrill Lynch (did I forget anyone?).......No, this time I would expect a little more serious trouble than just a few handfuls of TBTF money laundering operations.

Think about it. If the 2008 system failure wasn't bad enough, how bad does it get next time around, and what do ya think they'll do when they get desperate because it can't be fixed with the same sleight-of-hand as last time?

It all comes back to the US Treasury, and the numbers keep getting larger even without the nudge from all the corrupt bailouts and wild spending by congress.

Got PMs?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Poll: what % of your household net assets are in precious metal bullion >>

Not much, but it's been dropping at the rate of $2k per day. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I bet it felt great as Silver and Gold went from 9oz and 900oz to these levels though. Many nights of champagne I bet!! image

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

• Options

<< <i>I bet it felt great as Silver and Gold went from 9oz and 900oz to these levels though. Many nights of champagne I bet!! image >>

The hangover is ALWAYS stronger than the high.

• Options
    True statement... So very true...

Now, where did I put my aspirin...?

• Options
    I currently have roughly 15% of my net worth invested in silver (6,300 ounces), only about 1% in gold and platinum.
  • Options
    Im largely in privately held stocks close to over 70%!!!! However with the IPO coming up ill have quadrupled my money on this stock.
    Interesting enough I calculated melt and numismatic as well into precious holdings.
    Numismatic is 9%
    Bullion is 5%
    im up 20% on the bullion
    Im up 58% on the numismatic
    The remaining 15% is spread between cash, cars, bonds, and diamonds lol
  • Options
    10% in collectible coins and bullion.
  • Options
    I'm scratching my head at the 6 votes in the 90-100% range. How is that even possible? Shopping carts filled with PM's?
  • Options
    I want to have a lot of physical precious metals and i want to lose money on them. Thats right lose. If I lose money over a long time frame that means the world financial sysytem is probably intact. if I make a lot of money the whole system may be broken and I dont want that. Be careful what you hope for.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm scratching my head at the 6 votes in the 90-100% range. How is that even possible? Shopping carts filled with PM's? >>

I sincerely hope they don't have all of their money tied up in PM's, this is as insane as having everything invested in stocks or cd's.