Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got my first $1000+ coin today!

dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been seriously collecting for three years now. I actually started when I was 12 or so, but back then it was all inexpensive, raw coins. Mostly late 19th and early 20th century type coins like IHCs, V nickels, barber and Mercury dimes, Barber and Standing quarters, etc. I lost interest at around 16 when I started driving and getting interested in girls.

Then about four years ago I came across some of my old coins and it sparked my interest again. For some reason, I have always been fond of V nickels so I started a new set. I started off raw but quickly learned that I would be better off going with professionally graded coins. Well, I quickly went from paying $40-$50 per coin to a couple hundered per coin. Then it got to where I was comfortable with a $500 spending limit on a coin, and then at $600 it started to sting a little, and that was just last year.

Well, after three years, I finally bought (actually did a trade plus cash) my first coin North of $1000. Actually, it was closer to $1200. I have never been so nervous, but at least it IS one of my dream coins and a nice key date to go into my V nickel registry set! When I came across it, I knew I had to find a way to get it. So after working out the details with Don at Gary Adkins Associates (thank you Don!) it's finally mine. WOOHOO!!!

1885 PCGS VF25 Liberty nickel (One of the best looking VF25's I have seen)

imageimage

Dwayne Sessom

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    You must be very excited.

I would be! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, very nice key. image
  • Congrats!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice looking VF25!
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like my first 22-no D cent. I seriously sweated that $1,900 like it was the only money I had, and in the end, I at least got my money back out. That was 2005. What's really scary is how fast you get from $1,000 coins to $10,000 coins. And then when you get a few of those, how fast you start considering coins that sell for multiples of that. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with regard to my first six figure coin, which I hope will be a nice AU chain cent, but you never know.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I quickly went from paying $40-$50 per coin to a couple hundred >>

Those are words that spouses across the country dread to hear...
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking 1885, congrats!!!

I remember when I finally got an 1885 for my Lib nickel set. It was a big milestone for me.

Enjoy it!!!
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    That is one hell of a nice looking VF-25!! Congrats!
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats
    A scary but good feeling
    Nice coin
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That is a nice looking VF 1885 Liberty nickel.

I remember my first expensive coins.

The first one was an 1877 Indian cent in Fine. It cost me $200. I also paid $130 for a 1909-S Indian in VF-EF.

My next one was a 1799 Bust Dollar in Choice VF. It cost me $210.

I lost money on the Indian cents because the market for them went south in the late 1960s. I sold the 1799 dollar for $550 a few years after I bought it, however.

All of this took place between 1966 and 1973.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice pickup!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the nicest '85 I have seen an image of, usually they were circulated to oblivion.

<< <i>Well, I quickly went from paying $40-$50 per coin to a couple hundered per coin. >>

Wait until you make those infernal five and six figure purchases - that you didn't tell the wife about. image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one great VF V nickel!

I remember my first $1,000 coin. A Good 4 ANACS Chain Cent. $2,300.00 Still have it, and still love it!

Good work!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice looking nickel.

Congratulations.

If you are going to stretch for a coin, always go for high quality, as you did here.

Excellent eye appeal.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brace yourself, the sickness only worsens. Before long, you'll be dropping 3k on a single coin without batting an eye.imageShag

• Can't go wrong with a key
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice liberty nickel
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good! Now just start putting a little cash away each month for the 1913image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin.

Trust me, as time goes on, you'll get used to paying $1000+ for a coin
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! Yeah, I am very excited about it. Being a Liberty nickel collector of course the 1885 is always an exciting addition. I have owned a G6 in NGC plastic, so a VF is quite a jump in money but this is one of the best looking VF25's of this date I have seen (and I have seen quite a few!).

Most of the VF20-30 1885's I see look like this example (Another PCGS VF25 by the way!):

So, it's pretty easy to see the difference. Mine might be a little undergraded image

imageimage

It's hard to believe these two coins are both PCGS VF25's, but they are. I'm not sure why, but key dates in this series seem to be all over the place in grading.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • Nice coin, congrats!
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Very well done !

That is a real nice coin.

Congratulationsimage

Rob
    Rob
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that one Dwayne. Congratulations.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    That first $1k coin can make a fella a little nervous.

It gets easier after that. Unfortunately. image

Congrats on the coin.

Mike
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Very, very nice coin Dwayne! Congrats on a great purchaseimage

Dennis
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Dwayneimage And yes, TPG grading of circulated coins are all over the place.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on acquiring a tough mid-grade key date V nickel... Now you can start collecting those proofs. image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one fine Lib!

The next level of heart pounding acquisition is $10k+!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin - congrats! image

The first time I spent that kind of money on a coin was really nerve wracking. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could remember spending my first $1000+ coin long time ago... It was on a really kool ANACS graded 16 d Merc.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That is a sweet looking coin. image
  • Nice work. It is a scary feeling. I remember my first + $1000. I thought my wife was going to kill me. But, I made money on it and realized, like you did, if you do your research and it can be a pretty safe way to earn more than the bank will pay you in interest. Plus it is fun and historic. Not to mention it can be funny when your friends react "You spent HOW MUCH on a COIN?!!" Good times.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done, that one looks like a winner!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one heck of a coin to pick up. This issue is always in demand.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, good for you. For a moment before I scrolled down, I was worried it was gonna be a Morgan dollar. image

Something gold would have been my second guess. A key date V-nickel would have been way down the list. But I wholeheartedly approve. image

I have never yet paid north of $1K for a coin, though I think I crossed the $900 barrier two or three times. Those particular coins were all worth north of $1K and I sold them thus, but I don't think I've ever forked over four figures for a single coin yet to this day.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done...very nice pick up!!!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Dwayne,

That is a very solid coin - and a Plus Grade for sure.
    Don't think they Plus VF 25's - but for that coin - they
    should make an exception.

Thanks for the comparison image as well... its hard
    to believe that is the same grade. Your coin is vastly
    superior. Congrats on the pick up.

[ BTW - the sting of paying $1000 does pass... wait
    for the $2000 coin... you'll feel that one too ! ]

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • It's easy to see why you felt you had to have it!

May all your future heavies be so wisely selected!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

<< <i>It's easy to see why you felt you had to have it!

May all your future heavies be so wisely selected! >>

When I first saw the images, I was in disbelief that it was a VF25. I have seen lots of 1885 nickels, and quite a few VF examples. This one is by far the best I have seen. In fact, it has similar eye appeal to many XF 1885's I have seen. Granted, there are very few XF examples of the 1885 nickel out there.
    This coin is a pop 25 at PCGS in this grade. There are actually more MS62's, 63's, and 64's. (35, 57, 106 respectively)
    Dwayne Sessom
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking '85. Are you thinking upgrade?

It is interesting, once you get going, if you have your coins in the registry inventory, how much value ends up being there........I do not remember spending that much money!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well doneimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>Great looking '85. Are you thinking upgrade?

It is interesting, once you get going, if you have your coins in the registry inventory, how much value ends up being there........I do not remember spending that much money! >>

Nah. I don't plan on resubmitting it. Even if it were upped to a 35, the added value would only be $200 at most. Maybe some day...

I have thought the same thing about the registry. I look at the totals and think "How did I spend that much in such a short time"? And more importantly, how did my wife NOT miss it??? LMAO!
    Dwayne Sessom

• << <i>Brace yourself, the sickness only worsens. Before long, you'll be dropping 3k on a single coin without batting an eye.imageShag >>

Great coin and I would say one of the best in the VF25 grade.

I just broke the $3500 limit, prior to that my highest was $1800 and that stung. I really didnt think of the price until this thread. This coin collecting is very addictive.

Gary
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your purchase!

I know that feeling and once you break that "barrier," you'll do it again and again... and again.

Good luck & enjoy your coin...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We collectors tend to spend more as we get more "comfortable" Nice Key!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So If youve pulled this baby in...you must be pretty close to completing the series? Whats left? the s and D?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cooool, you cant go wrong with a key coin like that. congrats image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file