Home U.S. Coin Forum

1851-C $1 - update 18 months later (May 31, 2012)!

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
Buying raw gold is like anonymous casual sex without a condom.

But when you have an addiction...

Rip me and her a new one. What do you think?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• choice AU, assuming there aren't problems that don't show in the photos.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, goldeneye. How distracting is that ding at 6:00? That's a pretty accurate likeness--remember this is about 100x actual size image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the edge. Many small gold coins have had loops expertly removed since they were popular for jewelry. From what I can see in your pics, it appears to be a nice AU50 and well worth the expense to get it slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice acquisition.... Cheers, RickO

• << <i>Thanks, goldeneye. How distracting is that ding at 6:00? That's a pretty accurate likeness--remember this is about 100x actual size image >>

it appears to be a small strike-thru. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks, guys. My dealer got it from a walk-in a few minutes before I got there. An old woman selling her mother's collection. He said she almost cried when he explained what the "C" meant, both in terms of mintmark and value. She assumed it was worth very little because of its size. He paid her well and offered to send it in for me with his next submission. I might just do that.
    --Severian the Lame
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks okay by the imaging, and this little bugger is quite rare. Go for what ya know....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a whole lot and I'm grading it MS61 based on no visible wear on the extreme high points of the hair both by the headband and on the actual highest point if the hair on the bottom curl at the base of the bust

• << <i> He said she almost cried when he explained what the "C" meant, both in terms of mintmark and value. She assumed it was worth very little because of its size. He paid her well and offered to send it in for me with his next submission. >>

Nice coin and an even nicer dealer. Congrats on both counts.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So long as there is nothing on the edge that indicates a mount, you did fine. It looks like an AU-50 to me.

I recently bought the same date in PCGS MS-63. Your coin is an eariler die state than my piece which is a plus for your coin. Here's a picture of my piece.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Wow! That's a beauty, Bill!

Trade? image
    --Severian the Lame
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres mine, PCGS AU55 CAC

imageimage
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying raw gold is like anonymous casual sex without a condom.

But when you have an addiction...

///

Are we still talking coins? image

Nice "pick up."
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it a whole lot and I'm grading it MS61 based on no visible wear on the extreme high points of the hair both by the headband and on the actual highest point if the hair on the bottom curl at the base of the bust >>

Technically EF45 but it should grade AU50, maybe AU53. Lots of rub shows in the photo.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine. image

PS- looks like a nice pickup, Weiss.

I'm still more impressed with your avatar, though. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's mine. image

PS- looks like a nice pickup, Weiss.

I'm still more impressed with your avatar, though. image >>

It's a good thing they didn't put the hole a little further to the left! image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    crusty 53-55
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    I decided a few months back to concentrate on a box of 20 rather than my 40-years of hodge-podge collecting. In so doing I decided it was time to send in my very first submission to a TPG. I chose across the street because I had some GSA dollars I wanted to submit prior to sale and I liked the band style better.

So with baited breath I submitted my first stack a few weeks back. And was absolutely stoked over the results:

Again, I bought this raw for a few hundred dollars. Coinfacts says fewer than 600 pieces survive across all grades.

I didn't acetone it before I submitted it, and the images within the slab give a better idea of the crustiness the coin has vs. my raw shots with too much light on them. You can also see some of the coin's luster. And remember, these shots show the coin the size of a CD ROM. In real life it's the size of your pinky finger.

I hadn't noticed the die rotation, either. I think that's kinda cool.

I submitted another gold coin I'd gotten raw that I'd show on the boards almost two years ago to the day:

1914 $20 Saint grade revealed
    --Severian the Lame

• << <i> was absolutely stoked over the results:

Again, I bought this raw for a few hundred dollars. >>

I'd be absolutely stoked too! image Congrats!
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Excellent. Nice score! I guess buying raw vintage gold isn't always like juggling pin-pulled hand grenades. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file