Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Important Is It To Wash Hands at Coin Shows?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of those slabs probably pick up a lot of germs.

Conversely, even if you wash your hands, just entering some of the convention center restrooms may result in a net increase of germ acquisition.

Comments

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer at my table at the shows and use it regularly. It seems to be helping me as I have not gotten sick in quite awhile but then that could just be chance too. Customers are welcome to use it too.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a small tube of hand sanitizer with me most of the time anyways, so I use that. The plain, unscented, non-moisturizing stuff works for me.

I always use it after handling money....You never know whose G-string that $1 bill has been in image
    imageimage

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Very important. Before leaving the coin show for the day I always wash both hands thoroughlly. After handling coins and slabs I wouldn't dare touch any food or any parts of my face.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Some of the dealers I have seen have very bad hygiene as well!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

So tell me how many folks have gotten sick as a result of attending coin shows? Or is this just hypothetical hysteria? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Conversely, even if you wash your hands, just entering some of the convention center restrooms may result in a net increase of germ acquisition. >>

I suppose a page could come by with disinfectant hand wipes now and then. Or instead of Tootsie Rolls, a dealer could set out a basket of moist towelettes. Simple hand sanitizer isn't going to get coin cheese off your hands, it'll just sanitize it.
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277
    Man some whacky threads here lately!!
  • That is the reason I don't search rolls. The germs of all humanity are festering in those things.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that anyone that handles a lot of cash should make this a life style item.
    Just as anyone that makes their living interacting with the public should get an annual flu shot if they can.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting.

So tell me how many folks have gotten sick as a result of attending coin shows? Or is this just hypothetical hysteria? image >>

I have. I have also gotten sick after eating convention center concession food, but that's another story.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man some whacky threads here lately!! >>

Kinda dull the last few weeks. Outside of Anaconda's reappearance........FUN was healthy but not the picture of irrational exuberance that we've come to expect in past years.......and there hasn't been a lot of gossip about the Stack's/Bowers merger........
  • There are certain dealers that I don't even want to shake their hands...you walk out of the bathroom with them and they never visit the sink...

We go through at least a bottle of purel during every show!
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I wouldn't even think of entering a coin show without wearing a full Class 3 Haz-Mat suit.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭
    I just can't understand how humanity ever survived before 1990?
  • HANDS?!? I am not convinced half the dealers bath at all image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting.

So tell me how many folks have gotten sick as a result of attending coin shows? Or is this just hypothetical hysteria? image >>

I have. I have also gotten sick after eating convention center concession food, but that's another story. >>

Obviously, you failed to wash that burger and its bun before you ate it! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HANDS?!? I am not convinced half the dealers bath at all image >>

Exactly what other parts are you touching?

potentiallyimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very important. Before leaving the coin show for the day I always wash both hands thoroughlly. After handling coins and slabs I wouldn't dare touch any food or any parts of my face. >>

They say that you can always tell that someone is a chemist because they wash their hands BEFORE they go to the bathroom.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Now I understand --- the guys I see going from the auction lot pickup to the Men's Room are really washing their hands with that funny smelling liquid stuff. Wow -- how wrong can one be!
  • Going thru dealer's junk boxes makes the hands very dirty.
  • razzlerazzle Posts: 985 ✭✭✭
    Shhh-it's the sanitizer that tones the coins... Unscrupulous sellers call it "After Toilet"...
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • I enjoy licking the slabs more after they've been handled.image
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I always wash my hands before and after doing anything with coins or currency. If I am doing them for a long time I will stop and wash my hands occasionally during the process.

This is more for the coin's protection than mine, as I deal almost exclusively with raw coins; I accidentally damaged a medal I got when I was about 10 by touching it with dirty fingers, and I am doing my best to make sure that doesn't happen again.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY important - The bathrooms at FUN were so bad I decided to just not "go". image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably need to be more concerned with the hygienic state of many of the dealers than the coins. Just sayiing.........
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • You should be extra cautious handling raw coins that may have circulated during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    So, if I run into this kind of dealer sitting behind the table,
    do I assume he's selling clean, sterilized coins, or something
    completely different.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reasonable standards of personal hygiene should always be observed. Handling objects that others have handled, shaking hands etc...all demand the precaution of cleaning your hands. Cheers, RickO
    Clean hands are happy hands, eh?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I recommend carrying a bottle of that hand sanitizer placebo crap around every where you go and wiping a gob of that on every time you touch something. Dealers will think you're an eccentric billionaire. --jerry
  • While I understand that for many here, bashing dealers is a natural past time... I can say quite emphatically that I have encountered far more unbathed and/or uncouth gas passing slobs in the aisles than I have behind the table... seriously... (no winky either)...

...but I will add this to soften the blow a little image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

<< <i>While I understand that for many here, bashing dealers is a natural past time... I can say quite emphatically that I have encountered far more unbathed and/or uncouth gas passing slobs in the aisles than I have behind the table... seriously... (no winky either)...

...but I will add this to soften the blow a little image >>

The "unwashed masses" who passes gasses!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I never need to wash my hands at shows, because I never touch a coin myself. I just bring this good fellow along with me everywhere I go on the floor, and he presents me with any coin I deign to inspect. White glove treatment, gents. He also serves me a fine five-course luncheon when I'm feeling a bit peckish. No bourse food passes these lips, I assure you. It's a little habit I picked up from Longacre.

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    You see people in the bathroom finishing their biz and then grabbing the door handle and exiting, without washing their hands. Then the next guy does wash his hands but then grabs the door handle and gets dookie germs on his hands then goes and handles his hot dog from the snackbar. Basically he's eating smoebody else's dookie germs.
    I was utilizing a urinal once and a guy stepped up to the one next to me. He started doing his biz and look over and recognized me and offered a handshake. I said "Nooo...I'm not shaking your hand."
    Another time the paper towel dispenser was empty and I have to leave the bathroom with wet hands. Exiting the bathroom I saw smoebody I knew and shook his hand. The guy got a horrified look and said "Why is your hand wet?" I said "I dunno, I musta got pee on it." He started wiping his hand on his pants leg and I was thinking if that really was pee on my hand why is the idiot wiping it on his own pants?

Luckily the good coins are kept in locked glass cases so the scurvy masses can't contaminate them as bad.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file