Home U.S. Coin Forum

1798 Bust Dollar - something doesn't seem right to me

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
Found this while trolling on Ebay, maybe it's just a bad picture, but this coin just doesn't look right. The slab seems questionable too, the font looks off and the descriptions are in the wrong spots on the paper. What do y'all think?

1798 $1 - the real deal?

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    I really know nothing about the slab types/fonts, but the denticles on that coin look all wrong to me.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at that one, too. The first set of pics (the closeups) are horrible. I think the seller played with the color or saturation in photoshop. The second set (the full slab pics) look better and show the true colors. But...I think it is the real deal...
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks genuine to me.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The close-up photos suck, that's all. It appears to be the real thing.

The "no returns" policy is a big concern here.
    Lance.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess what tripped me was the odd denticles and the font placement on the PCGS insert, which has been mentioned in the fake slab alerts. Either way, I'd stay far away, especially with the no returns policy.

Meanwhile, look at the examples on this link:

1798 dollar search results
  • I don't answer anymore questions on these 18th Century coins until I've heard at least ten other opinions on them.
  • Run Forest, run.
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    This coin looks to be better than VG10.

I don't think this coin was graded by PCGS which leads me to believe that this coin may not be a genuine US mint product.

Joe.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The close-up coin and the one in the holder don't look like the same piece.

Mark's opinions mean a lot, but I won't risk my money on what I see in those photos. I just don't like the looks of either the coin in the close-up on the one in the full holder photo.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks good from here.Some of the pictures really suck.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin looks to be better than VG10.

I don't think this coin was graded by PCGS which leads me to believe that this coin may not be a genuine US mint product.

Joe. >>

I almost might agree but then when you look at the second set of pictures it looks like a vg10-f12 more on the vg10+
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the same coin. The close up images were enhanced in Photoshop by increasing the contrast. Notice the difference in slab color from the close ups to the full slab photo. They just bumped the contrast way up on the close ups. That's a hell of a nice Draped Bust dollar, with a LOT of meat for a VG10! I bet it goes for $1500 to $2000 range.

I turned the brightness and contrast down. It probably looks closer to this in hand:

Edited to add corrected photo.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo, I have seen many slabbed Bust $s that are problem coins which have been net graded. If you can't see the coin in person, ie, if there's no 7 day return policy with no questions asked, you're a fool if you pull the lever on this one.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Imo, I have seen many slabbed Bust $s that are problem coins which have been net graded. If you can't see the coin in person, ie, if there's no 7 day return policy with no questions asked, you're a fool if you pull the lever on this one. >>

I agree that there was a time where they were net graded. Learned from the school of hard knocks about 5 yrs ago with a PCGS F15 that looked an easy 20 to me. I cracked her out and only then noticed the smoothing done to the obv field.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file