Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think of this Lincoln/Token?

It's very interesting to me.

Comments

• I think it is better than 62 BN, but I don't think it is a Matte Proof if that is what you are getting at. Also looks MS-70ed.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The token, of which the coin is only a part, is being graded because the encasing process damages the rim of the coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Could it be "uncased"?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could it be "uncased"? >>

The damage to the rims would show.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, once it becomes and encased cent, it must remain that because if the rim is removed, the coin that is left can't be graded.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Thank you guys! image
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It says to deposit your money with the bank.
    Then it says to keep your money and never go broke.

So the message is ...

Deposit your money in the bank and go broke. image

PS:
    Some encasements have design elements stamped over the rim of the encased coin.
    But this one may have escaped damage. But if it were mine I'd gladly keep it in the
    encasement (the aluminum one).
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful piece!
  • whoa!! I didn't know you could get those slabbed. that is so coooooool! Love the blue toning against the aluminum. How much more color is on the coin?
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beauty! Too bad the bank couldn't have been in Colorado.
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A beauty! Too bad the bank couldn't have been in Colorado. >>

What's wrong with the Keystone State? image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were prevalent when I was a kid.... most ended up being extracted and spent. Cheers, RickO
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>whoa!! I didn't know you could get those slabbed. >>

I seem to remember a lot of hullaballoo when ANACS slabbed the encased Presidential Oath Dollars that were being sold in the Mint's gift shops. Why none when NGC does it. Just asking.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very pretty coin. I don't believe PCGS grades encased coins and I agree that you should not remove the coin from the holder - the encasing process usually leaves some slight damage on the coin near the rim.
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Don't take it out of its holder!

Do you think it's real? Looks like a '14-D with the mintmark removed. image
    Lance.

<< <i>Nice. Don't take it out of its holder!

Do you think it's real? Looks like a '14-D with the mintmark removed. image
    Lance. >>

I'll try to get the best pics I can when I receive it. It was sold last night. I really like the obverse and the encasement only adds to the eye appeal, if you ask me. image No, I won't be attemting to remove it. I just wanted to know if it "could" be done. I'd never seen one like this and thought maybe the coin would "rotate" freely within the encasement. I'm assuming not. Cracking it out of it's TPG holder crossed my mind for about a minute, but that ain't gonna happen either! Thanks for all the opinions!
  • PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I as a kid would see many of these, mostly having to do with the Jersey Shore. I haven't seen any encased coins in years.
    D.A. Priest
  • OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, usually don't see encased cents of that age that nice.

Steve
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice token.

Even scarce dates are little more than a curiosity as encased coins. Frequently only
    a single date is used so there's no incentive for collectors to try to assemble a date
    set. This same tends to apply to elongated coins as well. A notable exception is Co-
    lumbian Exhibition elongates which appear on numerous obsolete US coins and for-
    eign issues. It looks like people went to a great deal of trouble to stretch out the
    most unusual and scarcer date coins they could find for the numerous machines oper-
    ating at the exhibition for many attractions and exhibits.

Bank tokens are relatively well collected.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Neat coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file