Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Secret History of the First U.S. Mint"

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
Arrived from the Printer yesterday and is now available at FUN at the Whitman booth. It is a great read and a very informative book.

Just a quick glance brought my eye to a picture of a coining press at the 1864 "Great Sanitary Fair" offering tokens for 10c for copper and 50c for silver. Post one if you have one!

Authors Joel Orosz and Len Augsburger did a great job!
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Highly recommended. This dispels many of the myths about the first mint in Philadelphia.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Sounds like a very interesting read......they certainly "got away with" quite a few things..
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Rick, thank you for helping to spread the news.

Folks, please line up at the Whitman booth in an orderly fashion. If the book sells out at the FUN show before you get a copy, you can order it online or from your favorite bookseller.

I'll add my kudos to Len and Joel --- they've written a great history.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds interesting... will check it out. Cheers, RickO
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I heard there was a long line....

• I need to place an order... Have any, Rick?
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick, thank you for helping to spread the news.

Folks, please line up at the Whitman booth in an orderly fashion. If the book sells out at the FUN show before you get a copy, you can order it online or from your favorite bookseller.

I'll add my kudos to Len and Joel --- they've written a great history. >>

So ... Dennis ... how about a PCGS Board Special on the book? image

Thanks, Rick, for the report. I look forward to picking up a copy.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So ... Dennis ... how about a PCGS Board Special on the book? image
    Lane >>

The entire city of Atlanta is shut down because of snow and freezing rain. I haven't even seen an advance copy myself, yet! It's held up in a UPS warehouse somewhere. Oh, how I envy those collectors who got a copy at FUN!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a quick glance brought my eye to a picture of a coining press at the 1864 "Great Sanitary Fair" offering tokens for 10c for copper and 50c for silver. Post one if you have one! >>

Okay, I'll post three!

First here is the 10 cent model in copper. There are a number of reverse die sub varieites of this piece, but I've never made a study or collection of them.

imageimage

And the 50 cent model in silver.

imageimage

And here's one that is listed, but seldom seen, the gold plated variety. I don't think that this was sold at the fair although it might have been given out special people. One of the larger CWT dealers had a small hoard of these years ago, and I picked the best one he had when I got a crack at it. I've not seen it offered very much since then.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

• Similar to the tokens above:

imageimage
    BGG
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    These tokens form an interesting chapter in the history of the Mint. Those sold at the Fair
    were made on a Mint press and used regular bronze cent planchets made in the Mint. The
    dies were prepared by Chief Engraver James Longacre. In my opinion these can be called
    semi-official or just coin-medals, whichever sounds the more interesting. Furthermore the
    bronze pieces were specifically authorized by the Treasury Secretary. Mint records do not
    mention the silver pieces, however.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file