Home U.S. Coin Forum

D. Carr final 1964-D Paeace Dollars...Gold Plated

Comments

• robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How does this skirt the Hobby Protection Act without "COPY" on it? >>

This topic has been beaten to death in other threads but basically there are no 1964-D Peace dollars in existence to copy so this is actually a fantasy coin rather than a copy. >>

plus it is an authentic Peace dollar, just defaced.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    9 out of 10 new things an artist tries usually fail. In that regard, Dan is doing much better than most image

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverse Proof please!

Not a fan of the gilted-one.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How does this skirt the Hobby Protection Act without "COPY" on it? >>

This topic has been beaten to death in other threads but basically there are no 1964-D Peace dollars in existence to copy so this is actually a fantasy coin rather than a copy. >>

There are no 1964-D Peace dollars publicly known to exist.

(cue the dead horse icon)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he will read this comment and maybe he won't, but I'm gonna say it.

The 1964-D restrike was controversial enough and generated enough publicity for this piece. When he started messing around with finishes and striking pressures and number of strikes and issuing them as varieties, it felt like I was being taken for a bit of a ride since there were virtually no rules in place and one had no idea how to arrange a purchase of the more desirable variety without actually buying them all.

That sucks, especially because that's a tactic that the US Mint is using these days as well.

Now, the process continues. Daniel has been combining various obverses with various reverses to come up with different offerings, which is confusing as hell and adds nothing to a collection. I'm all for artistic license and I'm all for experimentation, but at some point the artist needs to consider his audience and market.

Gold plating a classic coin design after already overstriking it is meaningless. There's really no artistic statement in gold plating this overstrike, other than to pimp the people who've been buying the previous ones.

I'm sorry, but that's just how it comes across to me.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it sure will cheapen the run - I can only pray he is having a little fun and is testing reception of the Gilt thingy ..........

It is obvious that he is feeling gilt-ey.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • I just went to his website and I see he no longer has the gold plated abortions listed. Greatimage
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

<< <i>I just went to his website and I see he no longer has the gold plated abortions listed. Greatimage >>

Please, that's a serious word, and these are trivial coins.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just went to his website and I see he no longer has the gold plated abortions listed. Greatimage >>

Apparently, he HAS read the posts and emails. I believe this to be a smart decision, and as jmski52 said, but at some point the artist needs to consider his audience and market.. Hopefully he has.

I'll come up with something.
  • From his production blog:

" Total produced so far (all production combined): 1,830 (maximum total will be 1,964). 134 coins remain to be produced. Current plans are for most of those last 134 to be bead-blasted matte proofs. A gilt version (with gold plating applied prior to over-strike) has been produced as a few test pieces, but this variation will not be released."

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>he also raised the production cut off from1964 to 2000 coins. >>

I hope this is not so - apparently the # is 1964 ,........ no more >>

I just pulled this off the site a few minutes ago.

It looks to me like the number is still 1964. I'd have to see proof to believe otherwise. >>

Love the matte proof look!!!!! image

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many gilt tokens, "So-Called Dollars", and other items in the exonumia marketplace that are widely accepted and collected.

But I can understand the derision towards gold-plated state quarters and the like - since they were modified by an unrelated 3rd-party after being struck and released by the issuing authority.

Plating them prior to over-striking is a totally different situation, I think.

I was torn between issuing the final run as gilt pieces, or as sandblast proofs. I like both types. But I don't think I can produce both since splitting the remainimg 130 or so coins into two different types would make them too limited.

As you all here probably know, I tend to go ahead and do what I want regardless of "public opinion".

After careful consideration, I've decided to go with ....

The matte-proof version image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>he also raised the production cut off from1964 to 2000 coins. >>

I hope this is not so - apparently the # is 1964 ,........ no more >>

I just pulled this off the site a few minutes ago.

It looks to me like the number is still 1964. I'd have to see proof to believe otherwise. >>

Love the matte proof look!!!!! image

image >>

Order #6279
    1/9/2011 5:07 PM
    Qty: 1 "1964-D" Peace Silver Dollar fantasy issue, Matte Proof

MUCH better/preferred than the gold layered.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    That was quick, we complain about the gold, then get the matte proof all in one day. Much faster feedback than the US Mint, I gotta say....Order Number: 6283 for the matte proof.

<< <i>That was quick, we complain about the gold, then get the matte proof all in one day. Much faster feedback than the US Mint, I gotta say..... >>

But, this is what was expected, the matte proof. There was no mention of the gilt version, until, gosh, I don't remember seeing it till today.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order #6286
    1/9/2011 5:32 PM
    Qty: 1 "1964-D" Peace Silver Dollar fantasy issue, Matte Proof

• Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Order # 6290! image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

<< <i>There are many gilt tokens, "So-Called Dollars", and other items in the exonumia marketplace that are widely accepted and collected.

But I can understand the derision towards gold-plated state quarters and the like - since they were modified by an unrelated 3rd-party after being struck and released by the issuing authority.

Plating them prior to over-striking is a totally different situation, I think.

I was torn between issuing the final run as gilt pieces, or as sandblast proofs. I like both types. But I don't think I can produce both since splitting the remainimg 130 or so coins into two different types would make them too limited.

As you all here probably know, I tend to go ahead and do what I want regardless of "public opinion".

After careful consideration, I've decided to go with ....

The matte-proof version image >>

As the butler said near the beginning of the movie "Arthur":
    "I will alert the media."

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    While HSN has disgraced the idea of gilt coins, it was a fairly common thing to do in the colonial era. There are many gilt coins and medals from that era. I think it is an interesting idea. I don't know if I will be buying one, I bought the first two, configurations, did not buy the DMPL.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • PL appears to be sold out.
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Order #6301 & a New 2011 Amero Copper.
  • D Carr is a bright guy. Brilliantly played.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
    my guess is 134 will be gone by tomorrow
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>D Carr is a bright guy. Brilliantly played. >>

Either item would have probably sold out. The matte version for sure would have.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very last one will be plated in Radium. Dan will carry it as a pocket piece and it will erode away his legs.image

PS Dan you gotta show us what fantastic muscle car this whole enterprise bought, ok??

• << <i>D Carr is a bright guy. Brilliantly played. >>

Surprise!

• << <i>

<< <i>D Carr is a bright guy. Brilliantly played. >>

Either item would have probably sold out. The matte version for sure would have. >>

True. But the gilt stunt build up one final tizzy and brought focused attention to the series finale. His fruitful endeavor ends with a bang.

"spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Order No. 6303, couldn't resist....image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is one smart man that DCarr man
    He has some of you floppin around like a flounder pulled on the dock from the bay.

Funny funny stuff
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    order #6304 image It appears he isn't doing gold plated cause it's gone from the website. I think this is much better and put in an order as soon as I saw it.
  • I hope we don't see more than 134 of these, or there will be an angry mob here.
    Well, I'm almost up to a half roll of these things now.image

I knew it would happen.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I have over 178 channels on my TV and still nothing compares to the entertainment value I find right here.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    'proximately 40 orders today alone.

LOL
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Darn you complainers. First you lost me the 5 ounce pucks and now the gold plated silver dollar. Darn you all to heck.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that coin just looked to good and so ordered a matte as well...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Order #6315
    got the proof matte
    Looking forward to showing it off.
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Order #6313

1964-D Peace Silver Dollar fantasy issue, Individually Handled, MS-68

(2) - 1964-D Peace Silver Dollars fantasy issue, Matte Proof (one for me, one for the old man)

That gives me the full set now!

33 left as of 11pm pacific time
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
    Well my associate in my office just picked up 2 of the Matte for the grandkids so there goes 2 more, gotta be getting close to sold out...So Last Call.... image
    Zubie, or anyone - are there 5 in the set, now? What's the official word?image

I knew it would happen.
    Is it 5 or 4?

Matte Unc
    Regular Unc
    PL
    Matte Proof
  • 6326...quite the plunge but nice coin
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually passed on this one but bought a run of 2011 Ameros ealier today................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Ordered another one, 6327 at 10:20 a.m., Can't forget my little 2 yr. Old...image
    Bought mine last night at 175...

Price today, 190.

<< <i>I hope we don't see more than 134 of these, or there will be an angry mob here. >>

It ain't hard to get an angry mob on here..........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file