Home U.S. Coin Forum

D. Carr final 1964-D Paeace Dollars...Gold Plated

VetterVetter Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well the wait is over. Now we know what the last 134 pieces will be.

Text
Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many must like them but I have never been a fan of gold plated coins.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, in a sort of perverse way, I see the announcement as good news. It lowers the absolute number of desirable pieces by 134. I'm glad he didn't finish off with another run of the prooflike version, which is my personal fav...
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol

This has got to be D. Carr's ultimate test of how far coin collectors will actually go.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yuk.

the same as 'colorized'
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    he also raised the production cut off from1964 to 2000 coins.
    I actually believe that D.Carr has a very wry sense of humor.image

I knew it would happen.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This turned into a five coin set. I wonder what in the world is wrong with these to have them gold platted. I have purchased all variations of this coin thus far and having serious doubts about this one.

I wonder how much a copper plating would cost? image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually believe that D.Carr has a very wry sense of humor.image >>

Ham on wry???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Never saw this coming. yuck-a-puck. No thanks. I've got a regular and PL example.

• << <i>he also raised the production cut off from1964 to 2000 coins. >>

Actually, he didn't. Just a little cross contamination of his numbers. 1964 is still the limit.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.

While distasteful to most, as the entire offering appears to have been, I personally think the Gold Plated coins is a nice touch for the completion of this series. It allows Daniel to make the statement that the series is an interpretation and opens the offering to folks who collect such things.

I'd have preferred solid copper planchets but then its not my offering.

Looking at the production blog double struck pocket piece, what would have been cool is the 1964 dies, offset and overstruck on a 1922 coin making kind of a dual date.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    what would have been cool is the 1964 dies, offset and overstruck on a 1922 coin making kind of a dual date

I agree. But he seems to have veered off the beaten path towards National Collectors Mint Territory!image

What were those rolls called? Ballistic rolls? ROFL!image

Hey, it's his company. That's what innovation is all about, frankly.

I knew it would happen.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soon HSN will be selling colorized versions. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

<< <i>what would have been cool is the 1964 dies, offset and overstruck on a 1922 coin making kind of a dual date

I agree. But he seems to have veered off the beaten path towards National Collectors Mint Territory!image

What were those rolls called? Ballistic rolls? ROFL!image

Hey, it's his company. That's what innovation is all about, frankly. >>

Will he be selling tinfoil safes to store them in?????
    LOL!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he's done it to be silly, then I applaud him.

If he's done it as a serious conclusion to this run...I can finally go back to really disliking his designs.

Either way I'm satisfied. image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Maybe if he made a version of the high relief saint out of silver and gold plated it, does not suit a peace dollar------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • No comment, other than I think it sucks.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Too bad he didn't use some recovered gold from the 911 twin towers, then it would be *very* collectible and historic!image
  • He has also restarted the free publicity machine with this coin. I have the proof and satin and like them very much but I will skip this one.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    70% pass on this one.

should have consulted us before minting them. I would have said not to bother.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I get to be the one to say it:

Jumped the Shark!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not interested in this one. Really would have liked the matte finish. Pass.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he is selling to the HSN audience-for those who cannot afford the ANACS graded pucks at 5k or what ever it was.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

"Actually, he didn't. Just a little cross contamination of his numbers. 1964 is still the limit." His description of the gold plated coin states

"Housed in a non-PVC "flip" holder with certificate indicating "Gilt Finish". Maximum mintage of all issues combined will be 2,000 or less."
    I would have purchased the sand blasted proof too bad he's going with gold plated.Although it would go nicely with the gold plated 64 Kennedy half I thought was really cool and purchased when I was ten.
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    I don't link anything that's gold plated. Yuk.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • I have to agree with the consensus against gold plating. I prefer my fake coins to have their original surfaces.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Hokey; will appeal to the purchase obsessive viewers with credit cards watching HSN, who will expect HUGE returns on their "investment".
    As Briscoe Darling would say, "More pow'r to ya".

I like the fantasy pieces he produces, especially the State Quarter parodies.
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>"Actually, he didn't. Just a little cross contamination of his numbers. 1964 is still the limit."His description of the gold plated coin states
    "Housed in a non-PVC "flip" holder with certificate indicating "Gilt Finish". Maximum mintage of all issues combined will be 2,000 or less."
    >>

Indeed, that is what it says there, but the 2,000 was likely a leftover number from a previous text. In any case it also says "or less", which is exactly the case, being that there will be a mintage of 1964 for the issue.

Here is a more accurate statement on his blog about the issue:

"Current Status:
    Total produced so far (all production combined): 1,830 (maximum total will be 1,964).
    134 coins remain to be produced. Current plans are for those last 134 to be over-struck on gold-plated Peace Dollars
    (with plating applied prior to over-striking)."
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    I have the MS-68 finish and PL version as well and am a fan of these coins. However, the gold version has ZERO appeal to me. As a collector, there is no numismatic appeal to the coin. On the positive though, I think it makes the PL version standout even further as it kept the mintage down and also is the only version with a realistic and special finish. So until I hear otherwise, I will take this as a positive, even though my stomach turns when I look at the fugly plated versions.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take zero, please.
    Say what you will, but Daniel Carr is always full of surprises.

<< <i>Say what you will, but Daniel Carr is always full of surprises. >>

So is the "Flaming Squid Surprise" down at Red Lobster........

• dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Gold plated????

I thought the final version was supposed to be a 5-color hand painted one personally signed by the actual Denver mint employees who operated the coining presses that made the originals? image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limit 5 per caller, but in this special offer, we'll double your order to 10, just pay separate shipping and handling!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I think it is funny. You folks were all set to scarf up those final special issues. Some of you may have even 'backed up the truck' to get those last specially treated coins. Mr. Carr was building up that expectation of something special.

Now what? HA!

He'll be able to keep that website up for quite some time offering the gilt versions.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paw Paw in three..two..one

then again in three...two..one

then again in three...two..one
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess the magic is wearing off a bit because of these. image

<< <i>

<< <i>Say what you will, but Daniel Carr is always full of surprises. >>

So is the "Flaming Squid Surprise" down at Red Lobster........

image >>

Speaking of ink-squirting cephalopods, I read your piece on Carr in this month's CoinAge. image
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess the magic is wearing off a bit because of these. image >>

I'd agree with this statement, IF you had said ".......wearing off ALOT....."
    I'll come up with something.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>he also raised the production cut off from1964 to 2000 coins. >>

I hope this is not so - apparently the # is 1964 ,........ no more
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    One step to far, this cheapens the run completely for me. Not a buyer of this one.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>he also raised the production cut off from1964 to 2000 coins. >>

I hope this is not so - apparently the # is 1964 ,........ no more >>

I just pulled this off the site a few minutes ago.

It looks to me like the number is still 1964. I'd have to see proof to believe otherwise.
    it sure will cheapen the run - I can only pray he is having a little fun and is testing reception of the Gilt thingy ..........

I mean it , I'm PRAYING the final version is not this gold plated thing
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Current plans are for those last 134 to be over-struck on gold-plated Peace Dollars (with plating applied prior to over-striking) >>

This seems interesting. How often have coins been plated before they were struck?
    .....make the last one's in pure gold

........remove the mintmark and make the last one's a " P" mint

..........make the last one's with a hole in the middle....................

anything but a gold plated version .........please , I'm begging you
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does this skirt the Hobby Protection Act without "COPY" on it?

.....oh boy ..............here we go again image
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does this skirt the Hobby Protection Act without "COPY" on it? >>

It's on his website.

<< <i>it sure will cheapen the run - I can only pray he is having a little fun and is testing reception of the Gilt thingy ..........

I mean it , I'm PRAYING the final version is not this gold plated thing >>

Let us just hope that it is indeed the final version of this "thing!"

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does this skirt the Hobby Protection Act without "COPY" on it? >>

This topic has been beaten to death in other threads but basically there are no 1964-D Peace dollars in existence to copy so this is actually a fantasy coin rather than a copy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file