Home U.S. Coin Forum

unusual walker - kind of funky/crusty

SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
This Walker I picked up for under melt. Its a 42d and has a little doubling on the lower part of the gown. It is not a double die though just a LDS from a tired eroded die. The color and tone are both pretty accurate in the image. Its ugly in a few respects in my opinion yet has so much character and lots of luster and some cartwheel effect underneath the old color and tone. In another 50 or 60 years it may just finish toning. I can wait. image

image:

Comments

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    When you stated "unusual" me thinks you were correct. Are you sure it wasn't fully toned and it's coming off?

The surface in general looks pretty good, nice D strike.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When you stated "unusual" me thinks you were correct. Are you sure it wasn't fully toned and it's coming off?

The surface in general looks pretty good, nice D strike. >>

I did a 5 min acetone soak to see if there was any PVC or organics on the surface. The color and surface was unchanged. Under halogen light as one turns the coin there is a ton of luster underneath.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I like her handlebar mustache! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me a bit of one of those walkers you used to see painted up with multicolored enamel - and then someone decided to try to remove it image More likely though it's some type of aborted Clorox job??
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is (to me) extremely ugly.... not even close to being attractive... double yuck.... Cheers, RickO
  • Could it be shellack ?
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it has pretty good details, but I just don't find this coin attractive. I'm sorry to say this, but if you find it attractive then that's all that matters. Enjoy your coin!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on toning.... but possibly the coin was heavily toned overall, and someone attempted to do some cleaning but not all came off? Why I say this is because of the sharp contrast between the toning and the 'clean' areas. Natural toning tends to have a much smoother transition.
    ----- kj

• << <i>but possibly the coin was heavily toned overall, and someone attempted to do some cleaning but not all came off? >>

I agree, I've sometimes seen this happen when dipping heavily toned coins.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For this one I have to agree with Rick. Don't care for it at all and if it were mine I'd put it back in the melt pile.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imo, you can do two things with this coin.

1) Sell it for melt
    2) Get rid of your alka-seltzer. If you have to puke, you could look at the coin instead.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extreme negative eye appeal.
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>This Walker I picked up for under melt. >>

Good job. I'm just looking on the bright side. image
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not crazy about it either, but I would gladly pay under melt for it. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file