Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mother Longacre finds a Mercury dime, and makes a rookie mistake...

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Seconds ago, I get an email from Mother Longacre. It seems she is wrapping change (for what reason, I don't know), and she came across a Mercury dime. Frothy frenzies run in the family, and I was happy that she emailed me immediately. Unfortunately she made a rookie mistake when describing the mintmark, so I will gently tell her so when I call her, as a dutiful son. I would also like to find out what other "wierd stuff" she is finding. Perhaps another starred reverse cent is in the offing!

Here is the email:

"[name edited for security purposes],
I am wrapping all the coins we throw in a jar. I have a mercury dime 1945W. Do you know if it's worth more than a dime? I am finding some wierd stuff so far. MOM
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats so strange... my mothers name is MOM too!!!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was actually a 1996-W?

Did you tell her, "Yes, it's worth more than a dime. Set it aside and I'll give you eleven cents for it next time I'm home for the holidays."

• I have an aunt (almost 90), who called me telling me her deceased husband had left her these silver dollars from the "late 1700's"

(They ended up being from the late 1800's)

......I collect old stuff......
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe she is a rookie if she doesn't collect coins. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats so strange... my mothers name is MOM too!!! >>

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you said rookie mistake, I was expecting you to tell us that she cleaned it with silver polish. Hopefully, you warned her against cleaning coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it was made in China.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

• << <i>When you said rookie mistake, I was expecting you to tell us that she cleaned it with silver polish. Hopefully, you warned her against cleaning coins. >>

My first thought also ...

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When you said rookie mistake, I was expecting you to tell us that she cleaned it with silver polish. Hopefully, you warned her against cleaning coins. >>

...that's just what i thought! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats so strange... my mothers name is MOM too!!! >>

I'd keep any MOM who sent me an eMail like that.

I thinkit's cute that she knows what a mint mark is even if she doesn't know where to look. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    That's so cool a West Point Mercury Dime!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Moms are the greatest, and there comes a point in life when you have to let them make their own mistakes, even if you know better. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we have an update on this exciting discovery??? Inquiring minds want to know.....image Cheers, RickO
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do we have an update on this exciting discovery??? Inquiring minds want to know.....image Cheers, RickO >>

Literally seconds ago, I got an email from her. She said that she would look for the mintmark (after I told her where to look) and would get back to me. I will keep the boards posted on any developments with this excessively rare coin.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Maybe the other "wierd stuff" is some of those 5oz Silver ATBs. They would be hard to wrap in paper rolls though.

Or maybe, she really does have a 1945W Merc and will be rich from numismatics - while you are still punching the clock as a legal drone for "the man".

If its just a regular Merc, are you going to explain that its worth $2 now. Or will you tell her that her $2 is now only worth a dime?
    WTB: 19th Century Type - MS63 PCGS
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually found a merc dime on the floor today. Unlike Mamma L, mine just fell off my desk. I have no idea why but for some reason, I have one sitting there and have had it there for some time.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Will you please also inquire as to why and what exactly MOM is doing when she states she is wrapping all the coins? I am very curious as to the motive behind the behavior....
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will you please also inquire as to why and what exactly MOM is doing when she states she is wrapping all the coins? I am very curious as to the motive behind the behavior.... >>

Sounds like she is rolling a bunch of coins from her change jar to take to the bank for deposit.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file