Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which would you rather have for the next 20 years.....

1909 S VDB MS65 RD

---OR---

1916 D Mercury dime XF 40

I tried to get similar prices for the sake of the example. I guess the true question is if you can get any of the coins (being similar values now and in today's terms) which would you choose?

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a small stack of proof type than either of those coins.

There were more 1909-S VDB cents minted than all proof type coins combined, of every denomination, minted between 1858 and 1915.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    1916 D Merc of course! and I am a lincoln man. The 09 S vdb isn't a true rarity as compared to a 26S cent in the same grade. Now that coin a 26 S in 65RD would be the winner winner chicken dinner.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • In keeping with the original question, I would rather have the 1916-D dime. Red cents, especially ones 102 years old can turn or get carbon spots. The dime would be my choice. I didn't look up prices on either and just off the top of my head don't know the value of either.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Of the choices, I would take the 1909 S VDB MS65 RD

I like them.

Ed
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would choose the XF40 dime. More stable than a red cent and that is a nice collector grade dime that you can always move if needed.

For me most of my collection is in the AU range, I would not seek out the 65RD.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    The dime because I don't have it.
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    As much of a cent guy i am give me the dime. Better investment long term i think. less out there i get the feeling
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • I'd rather have the 20 years.
  • 20 years?

Gold.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 16D for me..... Cheers, RickO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 16-D dime. And then I'd trade it for some AGE's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It'd be nicer to have a wife for 20 years than make monthly payments on an ex-wife for 20 years! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well ive got a 66RD svdb so ask me in 2031 how Im doing with it.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd choose the 1805 quarter

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gun to my head, I would choose the dime. Given free choice, I would not own either.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gun to my head, I would choose the dime. Given free choice, I would not own either. >>

I was assuming this was a free give-away by the OP.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Give me the cash.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dime.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    16-D Merc
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why continue to foster the fallacy that these two coins are rare in any way shape or form. The Redbook made them popular, so they are popular, they are in demand by collectors who are misdirected to believe that since the Redbook prices them higher that they then must be rarer. they are so prevalent it is silly. You can find examples everywhere and anywhere and multiples of them. I love to be the fly on the wall in a dealers secret inventory stach, he probably puts one example out from time to time yet has many more stashed away like a CD in the bank. The only thing about them is that they are expensive but that doesn't mean they are rare. Lets be honest to the newbees of our hobby and the misguided oldiesimage >>

No one said that they were rare. They are popular and in demand, but that does not mean everyone wants one.
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why continue to foster the fallacy that these two coins are rare in any way shape or form. The Redbook made them popular, so they are popular, they are in demand by collectors who are misdirected to believe that since the Redbook prices them higher that they then must be rarer. they are so prevalent it is silly. You can find examples everywhere and anywhere and multiples of them. I love to be the fly on the wall in a dealers secret inventory stach, he probably puts one example out from time to time yet has many more stashed away like a CD in the bank. The only thing about them is that they are expensive but that doesn't mean they are rare. Lets be honest to the newbees of our hobby and the misguided oldiesimage >>

Question of supply and demand, regardless of how common they are. Same could be said for the 1916 Quarter. Part of the popularity goes back to the old Whitman and National albums we all had as kids, these three coins were the holy grail of each of their respective series. Now that we are older they still hold a certain mystique for some of us, and most of us so inclined have the funds now to buy one.

I'm with RYK, the '16-D dime but you'd need to hold a gun to my head for me to buy either.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would either one of them be in a Doily ?

Drunner
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    No question, the 1916-D dime. However, if given the funds to buy whatever I wanted, neither
    of these coins would get a 2nd thought. I would much rather have the same value in circulated
    18th century copper, or a few tougher date gold coins, or even just a pile of VF to EF silver dollars.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would either one of them be in a Doily ?

Drunner >>

Both of them are in doilies, now which do you pick?

I think I would pick the dime, but I wouldn't buy one, since I could use the money to buy other stuff.

Strangely I have an example of each of these two coins, and they have outpreformed most of my bust quarters as far as price increase is concerned.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont have either so id flip for it then decide image
  • Dime, or any of the other options suggested, but not the 1909.

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Simon . . . in a Doily, I'd go for the Merc. I have the S-VDB already (but unfortunately, in the wrong PCGS holder).

Drunner
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It'd be nicer to have a wife for 20 years than make monthly payments on an ex-wife for 20 years! image >>

How true!

I can't afford to marry my future ex-wife because I'm so broke paying off the last one . . . Dammit Boy ! ! ! image

BTW . . . I believe I'd have to go for the 65 red!

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file