Home U.S. Coin Forum

does anyone collect 1 oz minting errors ?

its a 1oz indian round with an early state of a cud from the denticles to the wreath, enhanced by arrows.

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There maybe someone who collects these...heck people collect out of State rocks.. To me it's just a silver bullion round and priced accordingly.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Cant make out the details on the coin. Pic is too small image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a "retained die break" (aka "retained cud") and worth a little premium to an error collector. Usually the striking errors will command more of a premium, but since the errors can easily be "made to order," they do not command a strong premium relative to "official" coins from the Mint. The same can be said about modern tokens (e.g. amusement park or vending tokens).
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No added collector value but an interesting error. Nice find.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem seeing that one...image Cheers, RickO
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have one or two clipped 1oz silver rounds, but I normally wouldn't pay more than spot for one.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    I own an interesting lead trial strike. One side is from a 1991 “Aloha From Hawaii” silver one-ounce round. The reverse is a generic (undated) Racine, Wisconsin, Whitman Publishing silver round die, with the Whitman globe logo, very lightly struck.

I see no logical connection between the two dies – probably just from different jobs done by the same private mint, and someone was testing the machines.

I have no idea what it's worth, but imagine an enthusiastic Red Book collector would cast an envious eye upon its otherworldly form!

• PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I have an ASE, ninety something that was struck through a piece of wire I belive near the date. The coin was pictured in Error Trends magizine at the time of purchase.
    D.A. Priest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file