Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mega Millions at 355 Million - What coins would purchase if you were the winner?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I purchased $5 worth of tickets today. Here is hoping tomorrow I am a whale. Who owns a platinum 1814 Bust half just in case I win. I want that high relief 1907 $10 gold piece as well. A roll of high relief saints (the originals and just because I can) And most importantly every overton CBH variety and die state.

I would not want the 1804 bust dollars or 1913 nickels as I do no collect make believe

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    office pool bought 100 entries

my share would buy maybe some small eagle gold dated in the 1700's?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• A real 1964D Peace Dollar. I know there is one out there somewhere.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased $5 worth of tickets today. Here is hoping tomorrow I am a whale. Who owns a platinum 1814 Bust half just in case I win. I want that high relief 1907 $10 gold piece as well. A roll of high relief saints (the originals and just because I can) And most importantly every overton CBH variety and die state.

I would not want the 1804 bust dollars or 1913 nickels as I do no collect make believe >>

Why on earth would you want that platinum bust half? Isn't it damaged ?

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    You all need to save your money cuz im going to win! Mmmwwahahahahaha

Edited add: If i do win i will buy ALOT of coins. I personally would corner the market on 1948-1963 original mint sets both on and off the internet! Why you may ask? cuz i like them and with that much money i can lol!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am buying ten tickets in about a half hour.

Its only natural to ponder such a thing......and naturally winning a fortune like that would spur on a numismatic holiday.

You would be known in every auction house in the world no doubt.....whether thats good or bad is up for debate. Youd get what you wanted but would overpay for everything. But OMG it would be a real hoot, wouldnt it?

Oh Yes....Id try to re unite the 13 original confederate cents. That would be a fun pursuit. Money talks, but basically just being able to write big checks isnt one tenth as much fun as hunting an elusive quarry, and then bagging it. The HUNT must remain, even though the weapon is better.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you only need one ticket to win image
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • All of them. image
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All of them. image >>

YUP! First purchase would be a mint state chain cent.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
    Id have a full size replica of the USS Monitor made.

Full Size.

Cruise up and down the rivers....but instead of the big gun shooting, a flag saying BOOM would pop out. image

Oh well off to buy my tickets! My wife will quit Kohls if we win, shes fed up with them "giving away the store" and how "SHE" rips apart the rugs every day. {Actually she will give her friends there several million dollars if they ALL quit. |
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    When the dream becomes a reality I think you'd become slightly more aware of other things besides coins.
    Just don't spend it all in one year...many lotto winners burn through the cash so fast and go broke within years...amazingly!
    yes but its one thing to spend a million dollars on a coin rather than a million dollars on a mega vacation. at least with the coin...you still basically HAVE the million dollars. More lottery winners should have invested in rare coins instead of whatever they bought.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>yes but its one thing to spend a million dollars on a coin rather than a million dollars on a mega vacation. at least with the coin...you still basically HAVE the million dollars. More lottery winners should have invested in rare coins instead of whatever they bought. >>

How long would a million dollar vacation last? Heck, I'd just buy a house where I love vacationing and have that asset as well image
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

Oh Yes....Id try to re unite the 13 original confederate cents. >>

Which ones; the ones form the 1880's with little tying them to the actual southern government? or the restikes of those or the casts copies of the restikes? image
  • Make believe 1913 Liberty Nickel?
    How about if I buy all 5 , and throw 4 of them off of a Carnival Cruise Boat
    somewhere in the Carribean , then buy all the 1894 S Dime , then whatever
    else I feel like and so forth . A unique type set . Then I have money left
    over , then I dont know . Maybe a unique ! cent Penny Black stamp etc
    Home of quality widgets
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the CU market cap image

I would buy them up and get them to make up a special slab making machine for my own personal use.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha image

Edited to add, the market cap is 110M. Presumably you could get controlling interest for less.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello 18th C type set!!!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    1795 mint set including gold.

Complete my Proof Indian set.

Complete my two "secret" sets.

Then some nice "type."
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I would every set of ATB 5 ounce coins on the market and resell them at melt to anyone but a TV dealer.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I might be looking to buy that `33 Double Eagle....for one...
    and ofcourse, a killer type set
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All of them.
    >>

That would be nice but I wonder if even 355 mil would buy one of everything.

<< <i>Complete my two "secret" sets >>

Are they secret because they are embarrassing to own or secret because you are trying to corner the market?

<< <i>Why on earth would you want that platinum bust half? Isn't it damaged ? >>

Yes but it was damaged at the mint
  • If I had 355 million, I would probably start a collection of early rare gold mint state 65 (draped bust) $5, $10 pieces
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, if I won it all I would probably put my collection away as I would probably not. have time for numismatics.
  • I'd name a price he couldn't refuse; put on sun glasses and go through Ricko's (now my) collection! image
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image.., Never bought a ticket but if did and won...Would take years to assemble but every major type of U.S. Gold/Silver in highest grade available on the market.
  • All of the Obama colorized coin sets from all the commercials that I could get my hands on image
    Come see Coinzine's Coin of the Day at http://www.coinzine.net/category/coin-of-the-day/ . Coinzine's looking for contributors! Want to publish your opinions or articles? Contact us at coinzine@coinzine.net
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd start a Saint Gaudens set. I have always loved the design and the allure of them, I just can't afford even a single example. Plus, gold is always a good investment. It rarely goes down in value.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, let's see, I'm assuming the $355 mil payout is over 20+ years, so an actual payday today would be more like $180 mil. Taxes on that is gonna' knock off another 40 - 50% depending on what State you live in. Given that I'm in CA. I'd say net value to me of a payout today would be ~$90 million. A very nice chunk of change indeed, but nothing like $355 mil. I'd probably invest about $50 mil of it (worldwide) in stocks, bonds, pm's etc., so I'd get a decent income for the rest of my life. Then I'd buy myself a ride on a Soyuz to the International Space Station for $20 mil. Of the remaining $20 mil I'd probably spend about $5 - 10 mil on coins. I'd buy a bunch of DBHE material, but I'd also like to get a really high end HR $20 and $10 Indian. Also, it'd be fun to try and put together a completely cameo (or as close as they come) set of 1936-42 proofs.

For just completely blowing money I'd probably budget about $5 - $10 mil to recreate Handel's water music (in period costume of course). For those that don't know what that is, here is a link:

link

It would be a total hoot to be "The King" on a barge on the river Thames while another barge filled with musicians (London symphony orchestra musicians of course) playing some of Handel's best music, played in the background. Needless to say, after including my daughters and some other close family, if you invite the right people to be on the barge with you, you'd be invited to all sorts of interesting parties in the years thereafter.
  • BobSavBobSav Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    If I won, you would never see or hear from me again.

I would be long gone.......to places you could only dream about.

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I won $355 million, I'd be one of the leading bidders or buyers for the King of Siam Proof set.

Beyond that I'd start on the world's finest type set with the best grades available.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • A silver coin from every country in the world that I would buy in person.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would choose the lump sum and burn it all, helping to increase the value of the dollar.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

• << <i>Well, let's see, I'm assuming the $355 mil payout is over 20+ years, so an actual payday today would be more like $180 mil. Taxes on that is gonna' knock off another 40 - 50% depending on what State you live in. Given that I'm in CA. I'd say net value to me of a payout today would be ~$90 million. >>

Let me get this straight, You would take the cash payout and forfeit almost 50% (175m by your count) and take the remainder after taxes (90m by your count) and invest half (45m) so you could pay capital gains on the income earned if any? Or you could just take the annuity payments and earn 175M in profits(by not forfeiting the 50% for the one time cash payment) over 30 years by not being inpatient . It takes a pretty good business man/investor to earn 175m in pre-tax profits 30years.
  • That kind of money would pretty much throw my collecting into the ultra-elite realm. My thoughts would be less what coins to get (all of them, maybe?) and more on all the other ramifications of becoming super-rich: retiring before 40, setting all of my family for life, and so forth. I'd build a house with lots of acrage and a well-armed and armored place to keep the collection.

An ultimate type set comes to mind, and some tough early gold.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, let's see, I'm assuming the $355 mil payout is over 20+ years, so an actual payday today would be more like $180 mil. Taxes on that is gonna' knock off another 40 - 50% depending on what State you live in. Given that I'm in CA. I'd say net value to me of a payout today would be ~$90 million. >>

Let me get this straight, You would take the cash payout and forfeit almost 50% (175m by your count) and take the remainder after taxes (90m by your count) and invest half (45m) so you could pay capital gains on the income earned if any? Or you could just take the annuity payments and earn 175M in profits(by not forfeiting the 50% for the one time cash payment) over 30 years by not being stupid. It takes a pretty good business man/investor to earn 175m in pre-tax profits 30years. >>

If the payout occurs over a 20 plus year span, you would only get roughly $17.5 mil a year, and look at how much of that money would be in future depreciated dollars. Let's not forget the value of that $175 mil in 2030+ would be a whole lot less than now. Not to mention the $175 mil would also get a taxable haircut of roughly 50%, so after taxes net you're looking at $87.5 mil. Finally, given that I'm 52, while I hope to be around 20+ years from now, there is certainly no guarantee of it.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mega Millions at 355 Million - What coins would purchase if you were the winner? >>

A private island, perhaps. Not somewhere tropical like most people would want, either. Mine would be a cooler place, with fog in the mornings. Maybe a San Francisco-like climate (though not necessarily on that coast). I'd have a big stone castle-like house up on a hill. Maybe something built by an eccentric Victorian robber baron. There'd have to be a causeway to the mainland, 'cause even with a few million to spare, I'd like to keep my boating to a minimum (don't have nothin' against boats, but spent my childhood on 'em, so no yacht for me, thanks). I'd be surrounded by historical buildings and architecture and trees- lots of trees. I'd have a classic car or two, but no hugely ostentatious collection. No private jet. Once the private island was paid for and enough money was invested to keep the taxes and upkeep going for a generation or two, then (and only then) would I remember I was a coin collector and indulge that fancy.

PS- sorry- I read the title as "what would you purchase", and neglected to see the part that said "what coins would you purchase".

Let's just say there would be lots of gold Roman aureii involved- from as many different emperors as possible.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Skymans Frankies and Bestclers & Kryptonitecomics Mega Toners !!!
    Oh yes AB's and Toned Rarities too...Oh yes i will take PauPauls Frankies as well. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy a million dollar scam on eBay, wait a few days after getting the coin, then file a SNAD.
    Oh Well. Best I had was three numbers on one ticket. I think that wins seven dollars.....
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    As many 2009 Mint sets as possible.

Strawberry Leaf Large Cent.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I JUST WON....

$2.00 image
  • You cant win because I just won image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Id have a full size replica of the USS Monitor made.

Full Size.

Cruise up and down the rivers....but instead of the big gun shooting, a flag saying BOOM would pop out. image

Oh well off to buy my tickets! My wife will quit Kohls if we win, shes fed up with them "giving away the store" and how "SHE" rips apart the rugs every day. {Actually she will give her friends there several million dollars if they ALL quit. | >>

I could see making a few folks at my old employer a shared winner if they would walk off the job.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy a branch Mint and some lobbyists and make great US coins.

<< <i>I am buying ten tickets in about a half hour.

Its only natural to ponder such a thing......and naturally winning a fortune like that would spur on a numismatic holiday.

You would be known in every auction house in the world no doubt.....whether thats good or bad is up for debate. Youd get what you wanted but would overpay for everything. But OMG it would be a real hoot, wouldnt it?

Oh Yes....Id try to re unite the 13 original confederate cents. That would be a fun pursuit. Money talks, but basically just being able to write big checks isnt one tenth as much fun as hunting an elusive quarry, and then bagging it. The HUNT must remain, even though the weapon is better. >>

You just get smoeone else to do your bidding/buying.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>I might be looking to buy that `33 Double Eagle....for one...
    and ofcourse, a killer type set
    image >>

Does anyone here think that a current or former board member knows or mite know who owns the $7+ mil 33 Saint?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Well, it wasn't me.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, let's see, I'm assuming the $355 mil payout is over 20+ years, so an actual payday today would be more like $180 mil. Taxes on that is gonna' knock off another 40 - 50% depending on what State you live in. Given that I'm in CA. I'd say net value to me of a payout today would be ~$90 million. >>

Let me get this straight, You would take the cash payout and forfeit almost 50% (175m by your count) and take the remainder after taxes (90m by your count) and invest half (45m) so you could pay capital gains on the income earned if any? Or you could just take the annuity payments and earn 175M in profits(by not forfeiting the 50% for the one time cash payment) over 30 years by not being inpatient . It takes a pretty good business man/investor to earn 175m in pre-tax profits 30years. >>

The lottery folks do it and their principal decreases every year. In fact a number of years ago they increased the annuity payouts from 20 or 25 years to 30 years because rates were not high enough to generate the return needed to sustain the annual payment as agreed to. FWIW I am nearly 63 so the lump sum would be a no brainer.
    theknowitalltroll;
    After I took care of all of those that I care about, I would do my best to spend as much of what was left as I could.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Forget buying coins, I'd buy PCGS from HRH.
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    If I won I wouldnt know what to buy . coin wise is id finish these pesky modern collections i started. Then I dont know. Finish the gold collection by year.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file