Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mega Millions at 355 Million - What coins would purchase if you were the winner?

2»

Comments

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    At least one winning ticket sold in Idaho.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least one winning ticket sold in Idaho. >>

Damn Ashton Kutcher, like he needed the money.

http://www.cnn.com/kutcherhasonlywinningmegaticket

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other winner is in Washington.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, now it's back to reality, warm up the car, and make my contributuion to the Gutment.
    Probably millions that spent their last $10 or $20.
    1 number here.
    How many possible combonations are there? Can someone with some time do the math?
    Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, now it's back to reality, warm up the car, and make my contributuion to the Gutment.
    1 number here.
    How many possible combonations are there? Can someone with some time do the math?
    Scott >>

There are 175,711,536 possible winning combinations. 56 x 55 x 54 x 53 x 52 divided by 120 then multiplied by 46.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    You are six times more likely to be killed in an accident driving to buy a MegaMillions ticket than you are winning the lottery ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
    The cash option posted is $224 million. If you won, would anyone here consider hiring and agent to discreetly sell the ticket and basically take you out of the loop as far as the publicity of being a winner goes? What would be a fair asking price? How many banks could be trusted with that amount of money?

How many of these could you buy?image

theknowitalltroll;
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, now it's back to reality, warm up the car, and make my contributuion to the Gutment.
    1 number here.
    Scott >>

There are 175,711,536 possible winning combinations. 56 x 55 x 54 x 53 x 52 divided by 120 then multiplied by 46. >>

If I bought all possible winning combinations I would spend only $175,711,536 to win $355,000,000! I guess it takes money to make money like they say. imageimage

<< <i>You are six times more likely to be killed in an accident driving to buy a MegaMillions ticket than you are winning the lottery ... >>

True, but eventually someone IS GOING TO WIN IT, so it mite as swell be me.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

<< <i>

1 number here.
    Scott >>

There are 175,711,536 possible winning combinations. 56 x 55 x 54 x 53 x 52 divided by 120 then multiplied by 46. >>

If I bought all possible winning combinations I would spend only $175,711,536 to win $355,000,000! I guess it takes money to make money like they say. imageimage >>

Even if it was possible to do that, it is highly unlikely that the jackpot would get high enough to warrant the risk.
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

<< <i>

If I bought all possible winning combinations I would spend only $175,711,536 to win $355,000,000! I guess it takes money to make money like they say. imageimage >>

Even if it was possible to do that, it is highly unlikely that the jackpot would get high enough to warrant the risk. >>

The bigger problem is that there are often multiple winners when the jackpot gets big. Imagine how one might feel if the jackpot gets split ten ways. A $160 million loss on what looked like a sure thing might go down as one of the worse financial decisions ever.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Imagine how one might feel if the jackpot gets split ten ways."

This can never happen.There is some risk of having to split the jackpot with someone though. The biggest issue is the time to buy the tickets.One with enough money to buy the single winning ticket would need to hire teams of people to buy the tickets,adding to his expense.Can you imagine the issues with organizing the 175 million selections on the millions of paper tickets?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I won seven bucks for ten "invested" not a good return but far better than zilch.
    Always nice to dream tho isn't it?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>"Imagine how one might feel if the jackpot gets split ten ways."

This can never happen.There is some risk of having to split the jackpot with someone though. The biggest issue is the time to buy the tickets.One with enough money to buy the single winning ticket would need to hire teams of people to buy the tickets,adding to his expense.Can you imagine the issues with organizing the 175 million selections on the millions of paper tickets? >>

Never happen? What are you talking about? The odds may be low, but multiple winners are common. There were two winners of the latest jackpot so it is a $85 million loss on the sure thing outlined. If someone had bought all the combinations, there would have been three winners and about a $110 million loss.

"Never happen? What are you talking about? The odds may be low, but multiple winners are common. There were two winners of the latest jackpot so it is a $85 million loss on the sure thing outlined. If someone had bought all the combinations, there would have been three winners and about a $110 million loss."

Two winners,yes.Ten winners,no.Not in a game with such astronomical odds of being the sole winning ticket bearer. There's a red number for one to select in Powerball,right? The pattern players of Powerball have to pick one number,a number that is apart from the physical pattern they might be working for the 5 whites.

All I'm saying is that if one is serious about buying the Mega Millions jackpot by having all the combinations of numbers he should plan on possibly having to split with someone else.

If one buys 10 chances,the odds against of having the big winner go down from 175 million to one to 17.5 million to one.1000 tickets will get one and others in a pool odds of 175,000 to one and so on.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decades ago....In another 'life" I rode a bike and was somewhat into it. Easyrider magazine I believe was giving away an Indian motorcycle. All you had to do was gues the serial number. So...a bit of research showed the basic start and finish series numbers and I went crazy with post cards, stretching out the several thousand possible numbers and spacing my picks out every few numbers.

Missed the serial number by three.

arrrggghhhh................
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a bust half dollar collection with varities if i could do it. hey, its something to work on and then half cents image
    When the size of the jackpot gets to be really large, what is the size of the pool of "new" players compared to the pool of regulars who might just buy more tickets? Both increase the number of new/different combinations being picked/played. If one had access to the drawing stats, he might find that 5,10,15,20,25 etc. is picked by lots of people.
    theknowitalltroll;
    "5,10,15,20,25 etc. is picked by lots of people."

Yes.That would be an example of pattern play.

Years ago,I regularly played the Colorado lottery "pick 6 of 42" game.The odds are 5,245,786 to one of winning the jackpot which starts at 1 million and goes up each week until someone hits.

Well,this one drawing there was 5 or 6 independent winners of the jackpot of about $4 million as I recall.I said to myself then,"how can this happen? How can there be 6 winners?"

Marking a blank selection grid with the winning numbers proved to me how 6 winners happened.Four of the winning numbers,corner numbers, formed a rectangle and the other two were at the center of the rectangle.

The Powerball pattern player has to pick that independent red number correctly to win the jackpot.That number is not part of any physical pattern that one might make with the white numbers so the pattern players,as a group,are essentially foiled.The good news is that if someone does win the jackpot in a game like this,the likelihood is high that there will be no divvy of the jackpot with another or others.

I would try to buy an 1894-s dime.image

<< <i>"5,10,15,20,25 etc. is picked by lots of people."

Yes.That would be an example of pattern play.

Years ago,I regularly played the Colorado lottery "pick 6 of 42" game.The odds are 5,245,786 to one of winning the jackpot which starts at 1 million and goes up each week until someone hits.

Well,this one drawing there was 5 or 6 independent winners of the jackpot of about $4 million as I recall.I said to myself then,"how can this happen? How can there be 6 winners?"

Marking a blank selection grid with the winning numbers proved to me how 6 winners happened.Four of the winning numbers,corner numbers, formed a rectangle and the other two were at the center of the rectangle.

The Powerball pattern player has to pick that independent red number correctly to win the jackpot.That number is not part of any physical pattern that one might make with the white numbers so the pattern players,as a group,are essentially foiled.The good news is that if someone does win the jackpot in a game like this,the likelihood is high that there will be no divvy of the jackpot with another or others. >>

I don't know if the lottery people would actually tell you how many folks picked 5,10,15,20,25 for their first 5 numbers last nite, but if it was around 250, then you should expect to have about 5 winners.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file