Home U.S. Coin Forum

Getting rid of the penny - unintended consequences

Would getting rid of the penny be a de-facto devaluation of US currency as a whole?
My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in my opinion. The U.S. dollar has already lost a lot of value. Eliminating the low value cent would merely be acknowledging what has already taken place.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dollar is worth 1/10th as much as it was forty years ago. So relatively speaking every coin has lost 90% of it's 1971 value, so the cent is long since obsolete and has become a veritable joke. The dime is the smallest effective circulating coin, and only barely. The quarter has a nominal value and is the most useful of all current circulating coins. Otherwise we have should have larger denomination coins like a circulating half, dollar, $2 coin, $5 now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't hurt us a bit. It would make economic sense, too.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices would be rounded up (3 or 4 cents) or down (1 or 2 cents) to an even 5 cents so it would be a wash.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prices would be rounded up (3 or 4 cents) or down (1 or 2 cents) to an even 5 cents so it would be a wash. >>

I agree, many, many other counties around the world have already done this and it works out just fine.
    While were at let's actually use dollar coins - say $1 & $5. Maybe some nice new designs on them to boot?
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prices would be rounded up (3 or 4 cents) or down (1 or 2 cents) to an even 5 cents so it would be a wash. >>

In today's credit/debit card economy, rounding wouldn't be necessary except for cash purchases. Even there, only the *total* purchase would need to be rounded (as in grocery shopping). Many stores might want to round down only as an incentive for customers to shop there.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont kid yourself nobody is rounding down!
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many years would it take to even be an issue? I am sure that there are billions of cents out there that will continue to circulate for years.
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Dont kid yourself nobody is rounding down! >>

Cash registers would be programed to round down/up based on the sale amount - correct?
    Some sales you'd pay a few cents more, others a few cents less - no big deal and it all comes out equal in the end.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

In today's credit/debit card economy, rounding wouldn't be necessary except for cash purchases. Even there, only the *total* purchase would need to be rounded (as in grocery shopping). Many stores might want to round down only as an incentive for customers to shop there. >>

image I can just see some taxing authority 'rounding down'.

<< <i>

Dont kid yourself nobody is rounding down! >>

Your right. Only those merchants that want to remain competative will round down.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Don't forget that exchanges involving checks and credit cards would still be made to the exact cent. Rounding would only apply to cash transactions.

<< <i>

<< <i>

In today's credit/debit card economy, rounding wouldn't be necessary except for cash purchases. Even there, only the *total* purchase would need to be rounded (as in grocery shopping). Many stores might want to round down only as an incentive for customers to shop there. >>

image I can just see some taxing authority 'rounding down'. >>

Taxes would be calculated before rounding occurs, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Some countries have already eliminated the cent or its equivalent. Does anyone know how rounding is done in these countries? This would give us an idea of what would happen in the U.S. after elimination of the one-cent coin.

• slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I'm not talking about the penny itself. Yes, it is little more than worthless and obsolete as a coin (along with the nickel). What I am talking about is the political ramifications of coming out and actually saying, "The penny is worthless and we are eliminating it". I think politically this would devalue the dollar to some extent. if it happens, watch the currency market and see if the dollar falls.

On another issue brought up here; I don't think many store could get away with rounding up and they keep the extra few cents. There are always those that will complain about losing the cent. These people can come out ahead 99 times in 100 but the one time where the store gets the extra 2 cents, they will raise holy hell. The store might adopt a rounding policy but if someone complains, they just give them a nickel.

When I lived in Europe with the military in the 80s, we had already eliminated the penny in the PX and Commissary and always rounded. You did not get many complaints though due to the captive nature of the audience.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    In europe and asia, on american military bases, they have already eliminated the cent. Everything is rounded up or down. When I was there, this did not happen at the register, it was just something the cashier handled. Tills were never dead on at the end of the day, but the variance was always small enough that no one cared.
  • Perhaps we are waffling on getting rid of the penny because it would recognize the acceptance of our falling currency. However' it has happened before. They got rid of the 1/2 cent long before it was devalued to the point that the 1c piece is now.

It might also have something to do with Lincoln being on it. But we can find something else for him to go onto.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The penny is the only thing you can get free in many stores. It is worth so little that there is a jar next to the register with a "Leave a penny, take a penny" note. It takes approximately 2c to manufacture a penny, so the Mint is losing one penny for each penny produced (except for the ones that they sell at a premium). Yes, there is a historical precedent - - the MInt has been making pennies for over 200 years. But it is in my opinion foolish to spend 2 cents to make 1 cent that no one wants, so it ends up in a penny jar or thrown away. That the Mint's production, by volume, is nearly 50% pennies, is ridiculous. And if you don't believe pennies are worthless, try giving one to someone. In summary, we should stop making pennies!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes sense.... I believe the politicians are afraid to tackle this one though. Cheers, RickO
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    why not mint them every other year ?? or at half of the current volume ? the zinc pennies alone will continue to circulate until they ALL find thier way under the floor mats of our cars. the dumbest decision by the mint is to continue producing them when the ones in circulation arent even used, ditto for the dollar coin, stop wasting money making a coin that no one wants, and no one uses.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Some countries have already eliminated the cent or its equivalent. Does anyone know how rounding is done in these countries? This would give us an idea of what would happen in the U.S. after elimination of the one-cent coin. >>

Australia does exactly this. They eliminated their 1 and 2 cent coins in the early 90s. Now, all CASH purchases are rounded to the nearest 5 cents as stated above. Only the total amount is rounded. All electronic/card purchases remain the same, with no rounding necessary. I have not heard of a single instance of ANY vendor not rounding down when required to. I don't believe stores have the option to "only round down as an incentive". It is all very strictly dictated how it will work and everyone complies. There is no real incentive not to. It's a wash.

One and 2 cent coins are no longer legal tender for purchases, but quantities can still be turned in at a bank for trade for larger currency.

The use of $1 and $2 coins is quite prevelant and the $1 and $2 notes were eliminated about the time the coins were introduced, so now the $5 note is the smallest.

It all seems to work ok.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Some countries have already eliminated the cent or its equivalent. Does anyone know how rounding is done in these countries? This would give us an idea of what would happen in the U.S. after elimination of the one-cent coin. >>

I was in the UK before and during as well as after decimalisation.The general feeling was that we had been ripped off , shorted.We knew we had been,but as always nothing to be done about it and it's somewhat forgotten in time.It's not exactly rounding down but it is in a way as for example before decimalisation there were 12 pennies to a shilling , only 5 after.240 pennies to a pound as opposed to 100.
    A half penny was re introduced in the 80's i think it was , possibly 70's and swiftly done away with , merchants charging 24 1/2 p for a bag of spuds or whatever rounded it out , sure , but always up.
    It's like the old saying goes , never give a sucker an even break.We the public being the suckers.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Eliminating the cent makes no difference to the value of a dollar. It reflects the reality that the purchasing power has declined to the extent the low value makes it more drag on our economy than fuel for it. Cost to mint. Time to count out 1, 2, 3, or 4 more coins in change, fuel to transport the raw materials to the mints, and the product to Federal Reserves and on to commercial banks and merchants. It's been our lowest denomination since half cents were ended over 150 years ago.

Rounding already occurs. Let me repeat.... rounding already occurs. Sales tax is rounded. Items sold by weight/volume are rounded.... even gasoline is priced to the 1/10th of a cent per gallon. We have the technology to round to the nearest cent... we can also do it to the nearest 5 cents. It is a wash.

Cents are minted to demand. Demand is high because they do not remain in circulation long. They don't remain in circulation because the value is low...... so the low value drive the large mintage.

ELIMINATE THE 1 CENT COIN & THE $1 FRN. Dollar coins will then circulate, and the cash register space problem will be solved!

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again we debate what the rest of the major currencies have done years ago. The politicians simply have too many special interest in their pocket on this issue. While consumers unions say it should not be done as it would cost "consumers" billions in increased cost, so does loosing your pocket change every year when added to all those who lost their change but no one seems to care about that. Truth of the matter is the factory owners who make money and more specifically coin handling equipment have pitched a tizzy along with the copper planchet manufacture vendor for the mint.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Since the USA doesn't make the penny it doesn't matter.... We make cents here
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint should stop manufacturing cents. The gov't should then declare those already minted to be worth 2c or 2 1/2c. Billions will emerge from the dark, people will enjoy the new found "wealth", and collectors will have a field day.
    Lance.
  • Perhaps it's not the penny that will solve our problems, it is really the infinite bailouts and printing presses printing useless paper that are of concern
  • Devaluing our currency makes us look bad. But we should do it. Either that or eliminate the cent and stop printing dollar bills. The fact is the dollar ain't worth what it used to be.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the dollar bill should NOT be eliminated, it should be made to last longer than 18 months, it is proven that no one wants to use the bulky dollar coins, that has been proven time and time again.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

• << <i>it is proven that no one wants to use the bulky dollar coins, that has been proven time and time again. >>

How has it been proven?
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't kid yourself nobody is rounding down! >>

I agree......This would be tantamount to a possible 4 percent increase in price. That is, on a dollar item.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Don't kid yourself nobody is rounding down! >>

I agree......This would be tantamount to a possible 4 percent increase in price. That is, on a dollar item. >>

I disagree.

Many businesses are currently rounding down with no requirement that they do so. What makes it likely they'll start rounding up in the future, especially when they'd face the threat of their competitors not going along with them, and publicizing the fact?
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    What happens to the states that have a non-divisible by 0.05 sales tax (e.g., 6%) when someone makes a small purchase, say $1.00?
  • Chinese restaurants in this state have rounded their bills up (and only) to the nearest nickel the 50 years I have lived here. There are some that round up to the nearest dime. I used to get upset over this, but it is dangerous to make a fuss over it.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Time for an experiment regarding the "worthless" cent! ...........

I would like for everyone here to gather up their pennies from their change jars, sofa cushions, ashtrays, car floors, etc and send them all to me. I will report back to members of the Forum how many I eventually get, and if it is enough to put either of my sons thru college (or even a semester).....

- - Daveimageimage
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Everyone can mail their unwanted pennies to me and Ill be happy to take them all in.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
    What happens to the states that have a non-divisible by 0.05 sales tax (e.g., 6%) when someone makes a small purchase, say $1.00?

The merchant would round the total up or down, but the state would get its 6 cents either way.

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would getting rid of the penny be a de-facto devaluation of US currency as a whole? >>

Not at all...But every time getting rid of the cent is
    seriously discussed, these fake astroturf organizations appear like "Americans for Common Cents," secretly funded by
    the zinc industry, to stir up fears of runaway inflation if the cent goes away.

Check/debit/credit card tranactions would still be rendered in cents. Gosh, other than keeping some quarters in my car
    cup-holder for parking meters, I almost never use any coins at all.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was in the UK before and during as well as after decimalisation.The general feeling was that we had been ripped off , shorted. >>

To this day, my cousin converts back from decimal to LSD when shopping so she will know how much she is "really" paying.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Just this past week I have walked past 4 cents that were lying on the sidewalk or in the
    street -- it isn't worth the bother. I might have taken a chance if a Wheat reverse was
    showing, but maybe not. That tells me all I need to know about the need for the cent.

I would eliminate the cent, the nickel and the half dollar. In addition to the dime and the
    quarter, I would strike a $1, $2 and $5 coin. (A $2 1/2 coin might make more sense, but
    the math would drive people crazy.) This would leave just 4 denominations of paper money,
    the $10, $20, $50 and $100. Rounding everything to one decimal place makes it much
    easier to do, and it addresses the reality of the devaluation of the US $ over the past 50
    years.

Who knows, we might even be able to stop the 9/10 pricing by the gas companies!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    One and Two Pound coins are quite common in England and 1 and 2 Euro coins quite common in Europe.

I think a significant savings would occur if the paper one's were eliminated. Folks WOULD grumble at first but WOULD adapt.

As for the cent, it's neither here nor there IMO.

Folks tend to forget that any change in cash requires the acceptance by small and big commercial businesses as the general population is very adaptable. As such, government needs to jump off their scared panicky stumps and enact change as only then will change occur.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perception and reality.

Perception - It would be easy for talk-radio to stir up controversy over the elimination of the cent. (think tungsten-filled gold bars, no gold in Ft. Knox, etc). This fear mongering for political gain would really rattle the weak-minded. The end result is to blame any inflation on the people who were in power when the cent was eliminated. Remember "The Crime of '73"? No, we don't really, but the populists of the late 1800's blamed the economic conditions on the lack of silver convertibility. The "Crime" was not including the Standard Silver Dollar in the 1873 coinage bill. Whoop-de-doo! There was no real "Crime of '73".

Reality - Most transactions are done electronically, so the cent is a mere token for stores to collect sales tax. Elimination would only effect the collection of sales tax.

My idea would be to eliminate the cent except for collector sales (in 95% copper). Allow states and private individuals to strike cent-sized tokens for the use of making change - no legal tender status, just a convenience. A cent today is like the mil of the 1930's anyway. Mills are 1/10th cent tokens made by the states.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

• << <i>Eliminating the cent makes no difference to the value of a dollar. It reflects the reality that the purchasing power has declined to the extent the low value makes it more drag on our economy than fuel for it. Cost to mint. Time to count out 1, 2, 3, or 4 more coins in change, fuel to transport the raw materials to the mints, and the product to Federal Reserves and on to commercial banks and merchants. It's been our lowest denomination since half cents were ended over 150 years ago.

Rounding already occurs. Let me repeat.... rounding already occurs. Sales tax is rounded. Items sold by weight/volume are rounded.... even gasoline is priced to the 1/10th of a cent per gallon. We have the technology to round to the nearest cent... we can also do it to the nearest 5 cents. It is a wash.

Cents are minted to demand. Demand is high because they do not remain in circulation long. They don't remain in circulation because the value is low...... so the low value drive the large mintage.

ELIMINATE THE 1 CENT COIN & THE $1 FRN. Dollar coins will then circulate, and the cash register space problem will be solved! >>

Exactly, we've been rounding up and down to the nearest cent for many years now. image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    In reality it won't matter much, a cent has so little buying power. You need a sack of them to buy anything.
    I still pick them off the street just in case I need a cent. image
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file