Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fake PCGS slab/1796 dollar on ebay

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go again!

I've seen an example of that fake with the bust too far to the left, like the 1795 variety. A guy at the coin club brought one in that he had bought off of the Internet for $200. He was wondering if it was genuine image and got upset with me when I told him that it was a Chinese counterfeit. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who get scammed ALWAYS get upset with the one that tells them the truth...... I have had acquaintances who would not even talk to me after I told them (very gently) that the coin they had was fake or not rare, or not valuable (after they paid a fortune for it). Cheers, RickO
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Reported.
    Becky
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reported
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported image

Here's where that serial number came from when the real coin sold at Heritage two years ago.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Thats a good looking fake from the pics. THe slab is what looks funny. They are getting better and better every day.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good watchdog work, y'all.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• Its still listed with less than 3 hours to go.

......I collect old stuff......
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Check out the sellers auction of a 2008-W 10$ Gold.

Or better yet, check out the winning bidder:

Winning Bidder

Shilling, tasting the high bid and retracting. Good stuff.

Wow, check out the underbidder, too.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this valuable service. I saw this coin when it was first listed, didn't like it, and suspected it was a fake. It just looks "off." But other than that, I'm not sure that I can articulate why it it is a counterfeit. The color is odd and there is what looks like some raised metal to the left of the date and at star 2. But why is it so clear to everyone but me that it is counterfeit with these poor photos? What am I missing?
    Thanks again.

Tom

• wow good people help others! image
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I don't take any credit for discovering this, someone ATS pointed it out, but I thought it should be here also since it's a PCGS slab.

Unfortuately, it sold for $3,150 as ebay failed to remove it despite many people reporting it.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too wouldn't have had an inkling, short of the suspiciously dark photos and a somewhat strange looking font on the slab.

Wow, three people on this thread with Chain cent avatars. Cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• This is one of his other auctions......I think the coin is sitting on top of the pcgs slab.......

Link
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am fairly new to eBay . . . but I don't think I've ever seen 91% positive feedback . .

Drunner
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats pretty scray...

The slab looks pretty good to me.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one of his other auctions......I think the coin is sitting on top of the pcgs slab.......

Link >>

I agree.

Look at the date!!

It looks like the '4' is just barely hanging on.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Yikes, 91% is darned low for ebay.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    here is the slabbed coin at Heritage sale a couple FUNs back

Heritage sale

eBay can still cancel auction after close
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    91%....with only 27 feedbacks!
    I'll come up with something.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one of his other auctions......I think the coin is sitting on top of the pcgs slab.......

Link >>

I wrote the seller and asked for pics of all the coins and here is his response:

"Thay are all in PCGS slab. I don't have all coins with me. I'll be getting it. What is you problem.
    I'm selling my stuff and why are you so, bothered of my business."

Not instilling confidence in my opinion. Almost sounds Chinese.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Warnings made to fraud buyers, but not about the fraud seller.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    listing removed.

for future reference, the seller is max7519
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    He's still shamelessly bidding up one of his other auctions.

Is there a way to report "suspected" shill bidding?

NM, found the report option for that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file