Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old copper people

coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
If I want an 1809 cent how long will I have to wait if I want a VG-F coin with an undamaged chocolate brown planchet?

Thanks!

Comments

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    A. You might wait quite a while for light brown chocolate color. circulated coins from the early 19th century tend to be darker than that.

B. sounds like you're wanting a PQ example of a well worn 200 plus year old coin. you can wait a while for that, especially if you have to have a certain year.

c. $$$ can speed the search.

Here is the Heritage archives search. I thought it was an interesting quetion so I called it up. I don't see anything in there that meets your requirements.

Jerry
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic head large cents are notorious for poor planchet quality and corrosion, you may have to lower the bar just a little on your "undamaged" criteria to find a coin that fits your needs. That is, unless you have a lot of patience.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact some of the EAC dealers (e.g. Doug Bird, Tom Reynolds, etc) and let them know. You may be, um, surprised at how much the coin will run. Don't expect to pay "price guide" or "sheet" prices as you will probably pay multiples of those levels for a choice specimen. [Forgive me if you already know all this...].

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per your criteria, it will be a difficult search, and expensive if you locate your objective. Cheers, RickO
  • raysrays Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a PCGS VF30 1809 from Coin Rarities Online. Very nice planchet, I was looking for one for a few years. It was not cheap. The 1809s are scarce.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1809 is a tough year for large cents. I looked a while and finally found one that was acceptable for my F-XF set (below). This was an old ANACS photo cert graded VG8/F12.

Be patient and you will find one. Be a little picky because many of these early cents suffer environmental damage and/or planchet problems.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Off your topic but reminded me that one of the first large cents I ever bought was a Turban-Head...

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I am assembling a key date type set and to that end I have waited many years for a nice cent of the following dates: 1809, 1823, 1857.

The 1823 I recently found and paid well over double Grey Sheet but was happy to do so since I love the coin.

I think I will need to keep waiting for a nice 1809

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1809 cents are scarce and are almost always somewhat corroded. I have never seen a choice, light-tan example of the date. Planchets are usually dark, even if problem-free.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat goal.....the 1857 is a piece of cake compared to the other two coins.
    My 09 is the perfect light brown color and no corrosion or other problems, but it is only a Good.
    Even the Dan Holmes coin (a PCGS 63) was dark.

So what are you going to do for the draped bust large cent - 1804 or the 1799?
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    The 1799 will be the next on the list I already have the 1857
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am assembling a key date type set and to that end I have waited many years for a nice cent of the following dates: 1809, 1823, 1857. >>

The 1809 and the 1823 are really tough and expensive, especially if you want them to be "nice for the grade," but if you have the money, I never found the 1857 to be that tough. I really like 1857 large cents and half cents because they were the last of their kind.

Here is a nice 1957 half cent ...

imageimage

And a REALLY NICE 1857 large cent. I love brown copper that looks like this ...

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Show me your 1809 cents.
  • raysrays Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is more attractive in person than the picture suggests.image.

My coin photography skills are limited.

<< <i>This one is more attractive in person than the picture suggests.image.

My coin photography skills are limited. >>

That is one of the nicest I have seen. It would certainly fit in my collection.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I've been looking for over 2 years for exactly what you stated in the OP. I found one that almost fit the bill, but alas was not up to snuff. Good luck!
  • TevaTeva Posts: 830

<< <i>Contact some of the EAC dealers (e.g. Doug Bird, Tom Reynolds, etc) and let them know. You may be, um, surprised at how much the coin will run. Don't expect to pay "price guide" or "sheet" prices as you will probably pay multiples of those levels for a choice specimen. [Forgive me if you already know all this...].

Lane >>

Doug would be a good person to ask if there is one to be had he probably knows about it!!
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reynolds' website shows none in stock.
    Chris V. Mcawley shows one:
    1809 S-280 R2 VF35 $4,500
    Chocolate with problem free hard glossy surfaces. Virtually flawless.

Shawn Yancey has one that is probably closer to what you are looking for, and very nice color:
    1809 S280 Classic Head large cent, only variety for 1809, R2. This coin is a very sharp and attractive VF20 with strong details front and back, and nice brown color. The only defect, and it is minor, is some inherent roughness visible on the reverse. My grade is VF20 net F15
    Your Price: $850.00

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file