Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

VCP is garbage

Anyone who still believes that VCP is the graded card "bible" needs to get re-educated. VCP misses thousands and thousands of graded card auction style listings every single day. That doesn't even include the thousands of BINs and best offers.
If you have VCP and get bored, add about 200 graded cards to your watch list and then go back and check VCP after the auction ends. You can even cross reference recent closed BINs or regular auctions. Results will be the same.

Yes I am one of the morons that paid for a yearly membership but I assure you that it will not happen again. Fool me once......

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it's another reference tool, nothing more.....i feel as though i've saved a significant amount of money - more than the cost of a yearly membership - just by researching the available information, but in no way would i consider it perfect, nor should you.

consider this: how many of the transactions for high quality vintage cards which took place at last year's National Convention made it into this pricing information? how about all the other shows? how about all the deals which took place in card stores, the few which still exist? living rooms? hotel lobbies? the alley behing the building?

think about it.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about ICP??? image
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it is garbage. I subscribe and it has helped me on numerous items where I really wasn't sure about pricing.
    On a bad note - it did cost over a $1000 on one item I sold way too low on Ebay because it failed to have the correct info.
    eh
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone who still believes that VCP is the graded card "bible" needs to get re-educated. VCP misses thousands and thousands of graded card auction style listings every single day. That doesn't even include the thousands of BINs and best offers.
    If you have VCP and get bored, add about 200 graded cards to your watch list and then go back and check VCP after the auction ends. You can even cross reference recent closed BINs or regular auctions. Results will be the same.

Yes I am one of the morons that paid for a yearly membership but I assure you that it will not happen again. Fool me once...... >>

But they do capture a "good population" of the cards sold.. At least it list the sold prices of actual auctions. and you can see historical prices on cards. If you don't like it don't use it. I don't know anywhere it states "all auctions" are covered.

Also note, it states somewhere they look for certain items in the description of the auction to get it loaded. If say a grade isn't in the title, it most likely will not pick it up.

If you don't like it don't use it. Go back and use SMR or Beckets as they like correct prices as well..

agian it is a guide and use it as you would.

NOTE I have nothing to do with VCP, but think the service is worth the price.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    If you treat buying cards like the stock market, then you may not like the slight daily inaccuracies of guides, VCP, searching auction catalog info, old eBay listings etc.

They are all Estimated Values, and Not Fact Values, use them to help determine value, values always change daily,

... especially when there are a NOW a lot of newbie wannabee investor clowns with fat wallets who ALWAYS pay tooo much $$ for whatever they want. And then when they want to flip it for profit, they lose $$ ......haha image ........I personally love it when that happens.

ie paying 3-4 figures for a card that sold for $5 only 20 years ago. Registry Hype will die down sooner than later.... and thats the only reason these formally $5 cards sell for 100X+ more NOW.

Dont expect your 1963 Topps Wally Post PSA-9 card to go up in value... when you pay $327.50 for a card, that 22 years ago was found in the $3 bin at any card show.
  • Options

<< <i>Dont expect your 1963 Topps Wally Post PSA-9 card to go up in value... when you pay $327.50 for a card, that 22 years ago was found in the $3 bin at any card show. >>

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    How do you pay for/get access to VCP?
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>If you treat buying cards like the stock market, then you may not like the slight daily inaccuracies of guides, VCP, searching auction catalog info, old eBay listings etc.

They are all Estimated Values, and Not Fact Values, use them to help determine value, values always change daily,

... especially when there are a NOW a lot of newbie wannabee investor clowns with fat wallets who ALWAYS pay tooo much $$ for whatever they want. And then when they want to flip it for profit, they lose $$ ......haha image ........I personally love it when that happens.

ie paying 3-4 figures for a card that sold for $5 only 20 years ago. Registry Hype will die down sooner than later.... and thats the only reason these formally $5 cards sell for 100X+ more NOW.

Dont expect your 1963 Topps Wally Post PSA-9 card to go up in value... when you pay $327.50 for a card, that 22 years ago was found in the $3 bin at any card show. >>

Have fun riding the wave...

just know when to jump...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    We try our best and like to think we do a good job at what we do giving you a guide to go by for most cards actively bought and sold in the market. Sure we don't get every sale on eBay but think we do capture most. And if there are any we miss please bring it to our attention and we will get it in a matter of minutes to our database. I am always available via email to answer any question or help you with anything you may need. To say we miss 1000's of sales every day on eBay is ridiculous and inaccurate.
  • Options
    Thanx swartz1!
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We try our best and like to think we do a good job at what we do giving you a guide to go by for most cards actively bought and sold in the market. Sure we don't get every sale on eBay but think we do capture most. And if there are any we miss please bring it to our attention and we will get it in a matter of minutes to our database. I am always available via email to answer any question or help you with anything you may need. To say we miss 1000's of sales every day on eBay is ridiculous and inaccurate. >>

I AGREE!
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    ICP is Insane
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Have fun riding the wave...

just know when to jump... >>

Check out the history on 1986 Donruss Will Clark PSA 10s to see some insanity. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Not only in VCP missing auctions, there are the basic "price propping" scams going on. Look at "wheretheyaint"s 1959 Topps Mantle PSA 9 auction. They are
    advertising that the PSA 9 recently sold for $14,500. According to VCP, it did, it's THE SAME CARD THEY are trying to sell now AND THEY SOLD IT BEFORE, which I consider a lower end 9 due to
    poor centering. Knowing how shady they are, I strongly believe they created another EBAY account, inflated the price with a fake buyer, then listed it again.
    wheretheyaint is not good for the card business.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The 14,500 type prices are counterbalanced by the qualified card misses and Craigslist scammer 1,500 prices. If you want VCP better then send them a message when you notice something that should or shouldn't be there. So many times when a price looks out of whack you click on the picture or Ebay listing and see a qualifier or obvious Craigslist card listing. If you report it they're quick to take care of it.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I can attest to that. I alert Bobby of the fake Aaron rookie and he removed it immediately. He stated that VCP automatically dropped the highest and lowest price in computing an average, however, I still wouldn't want a fake card being part of a calculation. I would rather save the lowest priced card to be an ACTUAL AUTHENTIC card. Compare apples to apples, not apples to plastic.
  • Options

<< <i>The 14,500 type prices are counterbalanced by the qualified card misses and Craigslist scammer 1,500 prices. If you want VCP better then send them a message when you notice something that should or shouldn't be there. So many times when a price looks out of whack you click on the picture or Ebay listing and see a qualifier or obvious Craigslist card listing. If you report it they're quick to take care of it. >>

So more incorrect data, corrects the original incorrect data? This isn't something that VCP should use in its marketing if I could give any advice.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    As an unbiased observer, think some people have an issue paying money for a guide while the onus is on them to find mistakes.

I'm not saying Bobby and his staff don't make unsolicited corrections; that's just the impression I get reading his posts.

edited to say: sorry for the double negative, just don't know how else to word it image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>As an unbiased observer, think some people have an issue paying money for a guide while the onus is on them to find mistakes.

I'm not saying Bobby and his staff don't make unsolicited corrections; that's just the impression I get reading his posts.

edited to say: sorry for the double negative, just don't know how else to word it image >>

That's kind of my take too. I'm sitting on a decision to renew, as > $100 year for data that may not be all that accurate is tough for a small buyer/seller to bite off. I've used my subscription a lot, but I'm starting to wonder about my reliance on it.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    There are several vintage sets I would like to take a shot at when the finances are right (ie: out of school with a job) -- at that time I'll make sure to buy a VCP subscription.
  • Options
    I really appreciated having the VCP guide available when I went all out trying go finish my '62 Topps set this year (2010). I subscribed for a few months, then as the number of cards I needed went down to a manageable number, I had recorded the remaining cards' prices. I also was able to record sales of the cards I needed as I lost out on auctions and recorded those events in my inventory spreadsheet.

What I am still finding invaluable is the ability on the VCP website to enter your wantlist FOR FREE. I check it each day and see if any new auctions pop up. The BIN auctions pop up too and that gave me an edge as I would jump on those as soon as I saw them listed in my wantlist.

I'd recommend using the VCP website. It's a very good resource for a collector.
  • Options
    I just signed up for a month, first time!

Looking.... NOW!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who still believes that VCP is the graded card "bible" needs to get re-educated. VCP misses thousands and thousands of graded card auction style listings every single day. That doesn't even include the thousands of BINs and best offers.

Yes I am one of the morons that paid for a yearly membership but I assure you that it will not happen again. Fool me once...... >>

Hi, just curious how many sales you keep track of? I would like to know some prices of random cards from 1911-1955, thanks in advance. I will gladly pay you instead of VCP if your fee is less and you keep track of more sales.
  • Options

<< <i>And if there are any we miss please bring it to our attention and we will get it in a matter of minutes to our database. >>

I have and never have seen the ones I mentioned added to the database.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    To the OP:

We all know VCP misses some auctions but
    your claim of 1000s of auctions missed daily is ridiculous
    and I suppose if you knew how to use the service correctly, you wouldn't need every single auction recorded anyway
  • Options
    Feel free to check the thread on the BST board here regarding the Favre PSA 10. At least the last 5 auctions for just that one card in that one grade were all missed by VCP.

Out of the billions of cards in various grades, that is just one example of one card in one grade that was consistently missed. If you are naive enough to think that is a rare occurence, then keep throwing good money at bad business.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Billions?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Feel free to check the thread on the BST board here regarding the Favre PSA 10. At least the last 5 auctions for just that one card in that one grade were all missed by VCP.

Out of the billions of cards in various grades, that is just one example of one card in one grade that was consistently missed. If you are naive enough to think that is a rare occurence, then keep throwing good money at bad business. >>

Had a few email exchanges with Gumby on that card and they are all in the system. They are BIN's and because of the way eBay system worls we have to wait until the full course of the time set by the seller expires before it can post to the site. I wish it could be faster but it is out of our control.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bobby

Do you really think this thread would have been started had you NOT trashed that other service?

By doing so you opened yourself up to this, and looked very unprofessional.

Have a Great 2011.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Feel free to check the thread on the BST board here regarding the Favre PSA 10. At least the last 5 auctions for just that one card in that one grade were all missed by VCP.

Out of the billions of cards in various grades, that is just one example of one card in one grade that was consistently missed. If you are naive enough to think that is a rare occurence, then keep throwing good money at bad business. >>

Good luck with SMR. Let us know how that works out for you.
  • Options
    I use SMR. Thats all i need.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I use SMR. Thats all i need. >>

And we all know how accurate THAT is!
  • Options

<< <i>Bobby

Do you really think this thread would have been started had you NOT trashed that other service?

By doing so you opened yourself up to this, and looked very unprofessional.

Have a Great 2011.

Steve >>

+1

- uncut

• Options
    SMR imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use SMR. Thats all i need. >>

Sounds about right.

• Options
    VCP is an imperfect but valuable service.

The way that many users apply VCP is harming the hobby when they state "I won't pay more than VCP average for that card."
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents...

While VCP may not be perfect, no service in the card collecting world is...however, VCP provides the most accurate sales data available, bar none. My experience with Bobby and his staff has always been prompt, courteous and solved any concerns or issues I may have had.

Anyone that relys on SMR data is simply fooling themselves. SMR does next to nothing (IMO) to provide anything remotely close to current market conditions. It is impossible to keep track of detailed information pertaining to each and every sale that takes place...at least VCP provides more real-time data, not a guess as is the case with SMR. I lost patience with the unending attempts I made over the years (yes, directly to Joe Orlando) as to SMR prices for the 1955 Topps set, which month after weary month were WOEFULLY inaccurate and painfully outdated.

There are of course situations where the particular card, set or player may not accurately reflect in VCP, but I suspect a quick email to Bobby will resolve your issue...try emailing those who run SMR and see what you get.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I use SMR. Thats all i need. >>

And we all know how accurate THAT is! >>

About as accurate as vcp. Only a fool would pay their $18 a month fee.
  • Options

<< <i>My 2 cents...
    There are of course situations where the particular card, set or player may not accurately reflect in VCP, but I suspect a quick email to Bobby will resolve your issue...try emailing those who run SMR and see what you get. >>

I agree - sometimes I wonder why there is a SMR because the fact that it is so inaccurate makes me question the quality of the source and "all" of the work they do.
  • Options
    SMR is a guide. It's based upon what the cards are worth, not necessarly what you will pay for them.

When you buy a car you don't pay the Manufactures Suggested Price, you pay the sale price.

Just learn how to use a guide, or learn what a guide is.

VCP is also a guide. The card doesn't sell for the same price everytime one goes up for sale.

Dave
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    one aspect of VCP that i find invaluable is a sampling of completed auctions for a particular vintage card in a particular grade.....again, while not perfect, the information being presented shows, on a consistent basis, that better money is being paid for better quality examples within the grade....there is no way to overstate the importance of this, if we were only being presented with averages or guesses (SMR), then there would be no way to differentiate.

knowledge is power said Bacon. not Kevin.
  • Options

<< <i>SMR is a guide. It's based upon what the cards are worth, not necessarly what you will pay for them.

When you buy a car you don't pay the Manufactures Suggested Price, you pay the sale price.

Just learn how to use a guide, or learn what a guide is.

VCP is also a guide. The card doesn't sell for the same price everytime one goes up for sale.

Dave >>

Dave - very well spoken - I have to wonder if PSA is at an advantage or disadvantage by supplying inaccurate numbers in the SMR
    with what seems to be very few updates. I guess there a fear that if modern collectors saw how cheap a PSA 8 or PSA 9 grade
    card really sells for would they just stop submitting these valueless cards. How much $$ is wasted by people chasing a PSA 10 only
    to end up with a worthless common?
    Is there an opportunity for PSA and VCP to join up and actually strenghten the market for a price guide or would it actually be their downfall?
    Only time will tell, but we all know the card market is shakey, especially for anything that's not true vintage.
  • Options
    SMR is a guide. It's based upon what the cards are worth, not necessarly what you will pay for them.

This is a premise I've read for years about SMR, that is is merely a guide, well to a point that is true...HOWEVER, when you state "It's based upon what the cards are worth..." is where you are wrong. SMR is a printed document, based upon God knows what, NOT fact. Can you validate your statement? Do you work at PSA and have first hand knowledge of how they print their SMR data and that data "is based upon what the cards are worth"? Nobody on this planet can keep up with the untold amounts of cards and their value on a monthly basis and print ad nauseum the same bogus tripe as they do. Thus, I have to say you are mistaken, you don't know, nor does PSA know what the cards are worth. Any card is worth what a ready, willing, able buyer is willing to pay to a seller, no more, no less.

An example: I happen to collect 1955 Topps and know the set about as good as anyone, been collecting it since early 2005. The SMR kept printing the value of card #3, Art Fowler as $80 for a PSA 8. At the time, and for many months thereafter, the Fowler 8 was selling for well over $1k, and often times high $1.5k++. How could the SMR folks justify this on-going fallacy of showing this card's value as $80? They couldn't, and can't. Only after I carped and carped to both Cosetta and Joe did they finally change the values of the 1955 Topps set. Now they appear stuck in the rut of old, and not keeping up with current events price wise.

Now comes VCP. Where does VCP get its price data from? Current sales from eBay and some Auction Houses...they DO NOT...repeat, DO NOT have any other source, like a staff that prints a rag called SMR and regurgitates the same values month after month after month.

You and others may wish to believe that SMR is just a guide and a valuable guide at that, but you are only being myopic and not reading between the lines. Think about it, how on earth could SMR keep up month after month...they can't. However, I do believe SMR and its publishers have an obligation to those of us who pony up the dues each year to produce a document that is as accurate and valid as possible. It is here that they fall waaaaaaay short of the mark. While VCP is pricey, I believe it is the best source of card prices at current market conditions, as they merely reflect sales data, no more, no less...no smoke and mirrors, no reprints. So, if you think VCP is "pricey", stick with that SMR thing and you will continue to be using outdated, useless, meaningless data with which to make your decision on what to spend, snipe, whatever on a given card.

If you have back issues of SMR, check out that Fowler and see how long he sat there for $80...crazy!!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Some of the lower prices will be for low end cards, but there will also be many low prices due to the poor quality of the Ebay seller and auctions run by lesser known auction houses. Some Ebay auctions are hard to tell if they're real or not and they scare away more experienced buyers. It could be real or it could be fake, but the low prices from that type of auction will skew the overall average lower.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    VCP, like any other source, CAN'T be any more than a guide. Let's face it - even the most open source for gathering sales data (EBay) makes it hard and doesn't provide the best data. Until somebody finds a way to qualitatively process the Ebay dumps, and also gets all the data scrubbed and normalized to take fees, vigs, postage, etc. into account, we're not going to get anything more definitive than VCP. If nothing else, at least it aggregates the available data in one place where you can dig into it yourself.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    VCP gives past sales, not what price a buyer was willing to pay. But rather the price two buyers were willing to pay. Big difference.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If someone says "I won't pay more than VCP average for that card"

They may be thinking the card is average for the grade.

If it is an obvious high end for the grade example the seller can simply say 'Ok thanks for your interest'

I've never used the service, don't need too. I'm sure it helps many and that's cool too.

Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone says "I won't pay more than VCP average for that card"

They may be thinking the card is average for the grade.
    >>

or they must not want/need it that badly
  • Options
    VCP gives past sales, not what price a buyer was willing to pay. But rather the price two buyers were willing to pay. Big difference.

Huh???

Does not VCP provide the latest sales figure of a given card and over time provide a historical record of sales for that card? How can you say VCP provides "past sales"...it is possible that a given card hasn't sold for a couple of years, thus the last sales price would be the most current data available. I can assure you, VCP provides much more than past sales info. As time passes, the value of cards will fluctuate.

Not sure if I get the two buyers thing. Most folks snipe, which simply means one guy outbid the other in the last few seconds. The winning bidder of course may have a top-all bid in and would win the card at any cost. If there are at least two bidders, surely somebody has to come up short by a few bucks. I just don't get your logic and would like to read your explanation for the post.

BTW, has anyone noticed how PSA has now been offering to notify you when a particular card comes up that may fit into your Registry set? Sound like the same thing VCP has offered when you create a "wants list" and receive and email notification that the card you've been looking for is now up for bid.

Agree that VCP is a guide...why people get so hung up on that word is beyond me. Think of it this way...would you rather rely on a guide that provides unfounded and inaccurate data, or one that provides current sales information based upon actual eBay and/or auction sales that can be verified?

To the OP...VCP is far from garbage, VERY far.