Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Eagles or 90%?

Thought this was interesting. Happy NewYear!

Coins vs. Bags: Comparing Two Options in Physical Silver
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note the comment concerning silver's ability to keep it's value over years of inflation:

"In 1964, one could take a dime to the store and buy a loaf of bread (if you are old enough to remember). Today, that same 90% silver dime is worth $2.10, enough to buy a loaf of bread."

This is the primary reason to have your intermediate and long term savings in bullion (or PM equities), both silver and gold, and not in dollars.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I am old enough to remember and wish I had all the silver dimes I had back then and probably would have if not for the Hunt brothers but that is the way it goes. It was great at the time!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both and will buy either when there is a good deal to be had.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember putting a $5.00 BU roll of dimes (which was a considerable sum for me in those days) away in 1963, with the thought that it would be worth something someday if I left it alone and never spent it.

I don't remember what I spent it on.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the divisibility of 90% when you have dimes and quarters. No such luck with 1 oz. AGE's. Any silver stash should have some 90%.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I love the divisibility of 90% when you have dimes and quarters. No such luck with 1 oz. AGE's. Any silver stash should have some 90%.

roadrunner >>

So a decent mix of 1, 5, and 10oz bars isnt good enough? image
  • Options

<< <i>I love the divisibility of 90% when you have dimes and quarters. No such luck with 1 oz. AGE's. Any silver stash should have some 90%.

roadrunner >>

I don't think they are very divisible when they each weigh an odd number of ounces.

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't remember what I spent it on. >>

image Been there, done that.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    75% for 90% & 25% for Ag. Au is overrated and doesnt have as much (potential) industrial use.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    The purpose of the 90% is a means for bargaining, trading, etc. in a moderate shtf banking/financial scenario. It's not like this has never happened in industrialized nations over the past 40 yrs. If your minimum transaction will always be 1 oz silver (ie $30), then you have no problem...otherwise you'll have to cut your AGE or 1 oz bar into pieces. 90% silver dimes, quarters, and halves had a purpose from 1792-1964. They could have a purpose again someday. The downside of having some "just in case" is essentially zero. There is an obvious downside in having to cut up your AGE's or stamped bars.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Diversity among investments appears to be the main way to protect them or at least part of them.

Figure the silver eagles as the $100 bills for large purchases and the rest for smaller purchases.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how I have constructed the pm part of portfolios for those I've worked with in this realm since 2002. Start with one and work your way down to number 6 until you've built your financial ark. Then buy on weakness into any of the six as appropriate for risk tolerance. I think this ark still works just as well today. MJ

1) Gold 1 oz to 10 oz coins to bars for financial insurance

2) 90% silver for SHTF scenario and divisability. ( 1 $500 face bag for everybody in the household)

3) gold 1/10 oz to 1/2 oz for divisability

4) Silver 1oz rounds to 100 bars for speculation

5) white metal platinum to palladium for speculation

6) mining stocks for speculation
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the link. i never looked at it that way.

also 90% is always fun to search when one is very bored
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is how I have constructed the pm part of portfolios for those I've worked with in this realm since 2002. Start with one and work your way down to number 6 until you've built your financial ark. Then buy on weakness into any of the six as appropriate for risk tolerance. I think this ark still works just as well today. MJ

1) Gold 1 oz to 10 oz coins to bars for financial insurance

2) 90% silver for SHTF scenario and divisability. ( 1 $500 face bag for everybody in the household)

3) gold 1/10 oz to 1/2 oz for divisability

4) Silver 1oz rounds to 100 bars for speculation

5) white metal platinum to palladium for speculation

6) mining stocks for speculation >>

Yep. "Spot" on image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>I remember putting a $5.00 BU roll of dimes (which was a considerable sum for me in those days) away in 1963, with the thought that it would be worth something someday if I left it alone and never spent it.

I don't remember what I spent it on.image >>

Some folks still spend'em at Walmarticus.

I drift from one to the other, like Eagles slightly better.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the link. i never looked at it that way.

also 90% is always fun to search when one is very bored >>

How true. But if you spend your dime, all you're gonna get is a dimes worth & not $2.10 worth. I would estimate that a majority of clerks won't know the difference between a silver dime & clad dime.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    My strong preference is eagles being 99.99% silver and clearly labeled silver, impressively beautiful and usually unworn, especially if they can be obtained for little premium. The almost pure silver already embodies more value due to the refinement. As for the 90%, it requires a knowledgeable trading partner, who knows which coins are silver and just how much silver they contain, and since the coins are usually eroded with the loss of some amount of silver, get out the scale, hope it's accurate, and get out the calculator, and get ready to haggle hard. The eagles are instantly recognizable as US coinage as much as the 90%, and are a much more desirable item to hold, to receive, and to barter with. The complaint about eagles being too large in value for normal transactions is farfetched because in an emergency barter economy the value of silver will be much reduced in comparison to life's necessities.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    For the smaller purchases . . .

imageimage

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My strong preference is eagles being 99.99% silver and clearly labeled silver, impressively beautiful and usually unworn, especially if they can be obtained for little premium. The almost pure silver already embodies more value due to the refinement. As for the 90%, it requires a knowledgeable trading partner, who knows which coins are silver and just how much silver they contain, and since the coins are usually eroded with the loss of some amount of silver, get out the scale, hope it's accurate, and get out the calculator, and get ready to haggle hard. The eagles are instantly recognizable as US coinage as much as the 90%, and are a much more desirable item to hold, to receive, and to barter with. The complaint about eagles being too large in value for normal transactions is farfetched because in an emergency barter economy the value of silver will be much reduced in comparison to life's necessities. >>

Good points, but I'm not sure I'm convinced of the eagles or value of silver being reduced in comparison to life's necessities in an emergency or SHTF scenario. My gut feeling tells me the opposite, and for that reason I'd prefer to have a lot of fractional 90% for smaller purchases. Who knows, maybe having lots of copper would also serve the same purpose; after all, it's been in use for 3000-4000 years as a monetary metal. And, I'd love to see the US mint produce fractional 999 eagles, say 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz coins. I think they'd be a fantastic hit.

Personally, I think Justacommeman offers sound advice, and I'm similarly weighted, but heavier on silver than gold.
    imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The complaint about eagles being too large in value for normal transactions is farfetched because in an emergency barter economy the value of silver will be much reduced in comparison to life's necessities.

I agree. Besides, whether it's a Silver Eagle or 90% silver, no matter how you pay, you will probably not arrive at the exact amount anyway. In either case you will have to find ways to make change or to get change in return. If it's truly barter, you might have to ask for something in addition or you might have to offer something in addition to what is really being sought. The silver only gets you into the ballpark.

When I was a kid, I never spent a dollar without some type of fractional change-making as well. I could imagine that our existing coinage might function as an accepted changemaking device, even as the silver takes on higher values.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    The one problem with ASE's is the premium dealers want over melt value for them. They are a desireable purchase if you can find them at melt or close to melt.

• Options
    But if you spend your dime, all you're gonna get is a dimes worth & not $2.10 worth. I would estimate that a majority of clerks won't know the difference between a silver dime & clad dime

The majority of Americans have probably never held or would even recognize a silver eagle. I'd bet more of them would recognize a Morgan or Peace dollar since a large % of households have had those passed down from parents or grandparents. The truth of the matter is, the US public is essentially ignorant of all types of bullion coins, both classic and modern. And the fact that something looks like an ASE and says "1 oz FINE silver" on it doesn't mean it wasn't made in Hong Kong last week. Counterfeiters make $20-$50-$100 bills. Silver has now since entered that optimum range. Expect much more of it as the price goes higher. Don't think the Chinese will be wasting their time trying to make fake circ Mercury or Roosevelt dimes. Bottom line though, there will always be people in the business of exchanging your silver/gold for cash (pawns, coin dealers, etc.). You aren't necessarily forced to deal with an ignorant public. Is the public going to know what "FINE" silver means? I know I had to look it just to be sure..........0.9993 to be exact.

My strong preference is eagles being 99.99% silver and clearly labeled silver, impressively beautiful and usually unworn, especially if they can be obtained for little premium. The almost pure silver already embodies more value due to the refinement. As for the 90%, it requires a knowledgeable trading partner, who knows which coins are silver and just how much silver they contain, and since the coins are usually eroded with the loss of some amount of silver, get out the scale, hope it's accurate, and get out the calculator, and get ready to haggle hard. The eagles are instantly recognizable as US coinage as much as the 90%, and are a much more desirable item to hold, to receive, and to barter with. The complaint about eagles being too large in value for normal transactions is farfetched because in an emergency barter economy the value of silver will be much reduced in comparison to life's necessities.

The amount of wear on a 90% us silver coin is negligible and surprisingly consistent. Is it really going to matter a hill of beans if one uses .72 or .71X silver spot to arrive at pure ounces? Note that BU 90% uses a factor of .7234 while circ 90% commonly uses .715. I recall another forum member actually weighing some AG/G 90% silver "slugs" and surprisingly they were still fairly close in weight to the XF/AU coins (ie much more metal in the center of the coin that in the highest design features). One's biggest obstacle is not figuring out the weight, but possibly having to barter with the ignorant public. Any transaction, when it comes to two different things will always require negotiation between parties. Be prepared to bring your RED BOOK with you to help the other party figure out just how much silver is in an AGE and a 90% silver coin. They won't know otherwise.

roadrunner
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I look at it from the point of view of what is easier to sell and get the most out of it when it comes time to sell.

Recently, I have had a very hard time selling ASE's even for well below what B&M dealers want for them...$31.50 when dealers want $33-34 for them.
    But with 90%, it flies out the door and folks as well as my local B&M guy, are more than willing to pay what I ask...the first time. 90% is just easier to sell and actually get what I need out it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    On the subject of potentially using small amounts of silver for barter, there are one-gram silver bars available, for example, recently being sold at $1 apiece by Abbott's Coins in Birmingham, Michigan (I didn't get any). Even in a generalized barter situation, the smallest transactions will not entail anyone chopping up silver eagles into pieces, but probably either copper cents will be used or such pragmatic non-metallic consumer items as muskrat pelts, baling twine, and shotglasses.
  • Options

<< <i>

roadrunner >>

So a decent mix of 1, 5, and 10oz bars isnt good enough? image >>

No, coinstar won't accept them. image

• Options

<< <i>The one problem with ASE's is the premium dealers want over melt value for them. They are a desireable purchase if you can find them at melt or close to melt. >>

That problem works in your favor when you go to sell. Higher premium is a good reason to have them.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The one problem with ASE's is the premium dealers want over melt value for them. They are a desireable purchase if you can find them at melt or close to melt. >>

That problem works in your favor when you go to sell. Higher premium is a good reason to have them. >>

My experience is the premium is higher when you buy than when you try to sell.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are these choices mutually exclusive?

Am I not allowed to have some of both? I guess I don't understand the debate image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>For this analysis, I have left out any comparisons to silver bars, as I believe investors should own silver coins as a basis for their portfolio. >>

I don't really get that part of it. Why not just compare all 3?

So if 90% is vastly superior to the eagles why is there still a market for them?