Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 Mint Set - TrueView Photos

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey there everyone. I always like looking at the TrueView photo threads and now I finally have one of my own to share. I recently had my 1909 Mint Set put into SecurePlus holders and imaged by PCGS and here are the photos. Hope you enjoy:

1909 Indian Head Cent PCGS MS66RD

1909-S Indian Head Cent PCGS MS65RD

1909 VDB Lincoln Cent PCGS MS67RD

1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent PCGS MS65RD

1909 Lincoln Cent PCGS MS66+RD

1909-S Lincoln Cent PCGS MS66RD

1909 Liberty Nickel PCGS MS66

1909 Barber Dime PCGS MS66

1909-D Barber Dime PCGS MS66

1909-O Barber Dime PCGS MS65

1909-S Barber Dime PCGS MS65

1909 Barber Quarter PCGS MS65

1909-D Barber Quarter PCGS MS66

1909-O Barber Quarter PCGS MS64

1909-S Barber Quarter PCGS MS66

1909 Barber Half PCGS MS65

1909-O Barber Half PCGS MS65

1909-S Barber Half PCGS MS64 FS-501 Inverted Mintmark

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hey!!

Those are beautiful - especially the 1C and the other 1C....and the 10C..and 25C..ok ok.. ALL beautiful. Thanks for sharing this set!

Happy New Year!

Eric
  • Options
    The 1909-O half is amazing.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I love the 1909 VDB MS67 WOW!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    That is fantastic!

I love how you also included all of the branch mints as well, not your typical mint set.

Very nice.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Gorgeous set illini!!image
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    INCREDIBLE SET !image
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One hell of a Mint set.
    Gorgeous RD copper, and the 09D quarter is fabulous.
    What no Morgan, kidding.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Nice!!!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    illini, Super nice set and a great accomplishment. My favs are the 09-S cent and the 09-S half. That half looks awfully strong for a 64???
    Shag
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Great set Mike, I really like the "ILLINI collection" pedigree also.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... what a great little collection!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set! I see you still have one of my old friends, the 09-O quarter. image
  • Options
    now that's what I'm talkin' about!

something done right.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    eh, they're alright (if your into that whole super-gem thing)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Great looking set!!!

Dan
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!image
    Becky
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey Cow Man! Well done! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always like the 1909 Barbers because of some mint marked sleepers. The 1909-s dime was always one of my favorites, and this one is pretty well struck for a date that often comes like mush. What's not to like about 1909 New Orleans and San Francisco coinage? Neat coins. The luster on those coppers is sizzling.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 09 O Half is a Moose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really nice set.... overall, I am impressed with the limited tarnish on many pieces. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That is a really nice set.... overall, I am impressed with the limited tarnish on many pieces. Cheers, RickO >>

Limited tarnish seems so politically incorrect... can't we just say they're tarnish challenged? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Alot of hard work, many years and much money
    went into that absolutely beautiful collection.

That's a fantastic set and thank you very much for
    sharing it with us. Now that they are all in the new
    Secure Holders - and the True View images taken,
    what's next ? CAC ?

In a way, I wish I had also concentrated on one
    date in the Barber series - the closest I come to
    a gem set is my 1911's... I just don't have the
    Lincolns - and my Nickel is only an AU 58, as are
    all of my Dimes.

Again, congrats. Happy New Year !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful set and obviously a labor of love.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    enjoy is the right word to use
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing one fantastic looking group of coins.

Congrats. image

Mike
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Liberty nickel a doubled die?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Great looking set. Thanks for sharing.
    Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats at a beautiful set.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    So Nice! I love being able to quickly scroll up and down back and forth looking at that set. I wish that function/format was available when viewing the Registry Set Images that people post. If nothing else a place where we can easily see other threads like this. Fantastic!

Thank you for sharing!

Questions:

Why No + on the 67RD vdb? really? Shouldn't the nicest examples with in the grade get the + ??? or is there a grading criteria and the little spots on the reverse and the obverse bullseye held it back? I am new so I don't understand.

Maybe this is nit-picky.. On the TrueView template. I think the silver looks great with the feathered black background, however they should leave that off on the copper, it muddies-up the rim detail, which defeats the purpose of taking the coin out of the slab to image. IMHO of course!

What is the Illini Pedigree? Did you get your name on the PCGS label? If so, I hope you submitted the vdb 67RB's too! I want one!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Super set. And another barber dime.... and another barber dime....

Congratulations!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Wow! very nice coins,
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options

A head turning set for sure! Well done.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to say that's not already been said... just a beautiful, stunning set. You should be very proud. The luster on the 09-O half must be blinding.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Of all the things I enjoy about this forum, inspiration such as this set - every coin - is what drives me, motivates me, to continue the pursuit of excellence.

Thank you, Illini, for sharing it. Each coin is a seed, planted here in the hopes that the interest it sparks will lead 100 people one hundered different ways, each in his/her own pursuit of that which is seen here today.

For me, gawd... what a set! I'm already looking to upgrade those I have... image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    All of them look outstanding, nice eye.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I love the halves!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set! Now, where's the gold? image
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loooking through that set my jaw continuously kept dropping! A truly stunning set of coins.

Was there any particular reason you selected 1909?
    Mark

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice way to spend some time.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow. i thought about putting together a 1909 mint set also over the past two years. I might just look at these and wish I could put something like that together. image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    That is one kicka$$ set! The 09 Indian and 09 O half are the best I have ever seen
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be very proud! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Stunning set. Congratulations on putting it together. I just love it. All the coins are just spectacular.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb set. Really outstanding !!!image
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, those are simply stunningly beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    I want to add, that I met Mike in my endeavor to create a grading/study set for the Lincoln Wheat Cent. I chose the 1909VDB because it looked like it would be easy to complete, it was affordable, the first year of Lincoln and had a historic/controversial start. Coincidently illini420 was listing a half dozen PCGS VDB slabs on eBay.

Mike proved to be eager to provide info, helpful with references, advice and tips. All around - I think Mike is the type of person/seasoned collector that anyone new to collecting should meet. I could have easily bailed from collecting if it weren't for meeting him. This is a tough group.

I have looked at a lot of other sets, his sets, are the benchmark of what a Great Set should look like, both in presentation and quality/eye appeal of the coins. They are simple (not overwhelming large) comprehensive, reasonably affordable and very easy on the eyes.

You hear about great collections all the time, but how often do you get the chance to view them like this!

Okay - I gushed enough. I just wanted to post something nice, giving credit to someone who deserves it and give something for those reading this on this board to think about when you come across noobs. (in counter response to all the block this bidder/ban this person stuff I read on here)
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set! Well doneimage
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this thread and replied early this morning and have been thinking about this BEAUTIFUL SET all day. Absolutely Amazing! Most of us would be a very very very proud owner of any ONE of these coins...but the entire set is just Out of this World.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>illini, Super nice set and a great accomplishment. My favs are the 09-S cent and the 09-S half. That half looks awfully strong for a 64???

Shag >>

Actually, I purchased that one as an NGC MS65 at auction... lost a point on the crossover but I didn't care too much about that. I'm thinking PCGS thought it might have been dipped too much, but it's pretty!

<< <i>Nice set! I see you still have one of my old friends, the 09-O quarter >>

Oh yeah, and I'm very happy to have that one. One of my favorites for sure and have no plans to upgrade that one unless Sunnywood's former MS66 example ever comes up for sale which isn't too likely anytime soon.

<< <i>That is a really nice set.... overall, I am impressed with the limited tarnish on many pieces. Cheers, RickO >>

I really appreciate a well matched set, which is something I currently don't have... but I still can't decide whether I like the blast white lusterous beauties or a deeply toned piece... I like them both!!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>That's a fantastic set and thank you very much for
    sharing it with us. Now that they are all in the new
    Secure Holders - and the True View images taken,
    what's next ? CAC ?
    >>

Some of them were CAC before the SecurePlus/pedigree treatment... no plans to submit them for new stickers at this time though, but I expect many of the coins would get them.

<< <i>Is the Liberty nickel a doubled die?
    >>

Not that I'm aware of. I've never seen any information about a 1909 Nickel doubled die variety so I'm guessing no, but I do think I see what you're talking about in the photo. Will have to take a closer look in hand next time I visit them at the bank.

<< <i>Questions:

Why No + on the 67RD vdb? really? Shouldn't the nicest examples with in the grade get the + ??? or is there a grading criteria and the little spots on the reverse and the obverse bullseye held it back? I am new so I don't understand.

Maybe this is nit-picky.. On the TrueView template. I think the silver looks great with the feathered black background, however they should leave that off on the copper, it muddies-up the rim detail, which defeats the purpose of taking the coin out of the slab to image. IMHO of course!

What is the Illini Pedigree? Did you get your name on the PCGS label? If so, I hope you submitted the vdb 67RB's too! I want one!
    >>

I'm guessing there were being very very picky with throwing out + grades on the 67RD and I'm sure the small spot on the reverse was reason enough to hold it back, otherwise it might be 68RD quality, it's just that great looking in hand with tons of luster and awesome eye appeal. I think the bullseye look in the toning likely added to the grade and didn't take away. Very hard to choose whether I like this coin or the 67+RD example I bought at auction recently (no TrueView of that one yet).

I think the templates aren't too bad. Yeah, I see what you're saying about the rim detail, but I like getting a great shot w/o the plastic more than that... just check out the die lines on the reverse of the 1909 66+RD Lincoln for example, very cool, especially in the large format of the TrueViews.

Yes, when I had them SecurePlus graded I had PCGS add "ILLINI Collection" to all of the labels as the pedigree. I thought it was pretty neat.

The 67RB VDBs haven't been to PCGS since their initial grading... no plans to send them back right now, but maybe I should get those Trueviewed as well, who knows, maybe one would get a + as well??

<< <i>Very nice set! Now, where's the gold? >>

Well, I was collecting the full set at one point, trying to go for AU58 quality in the gold coins. But earlier this year I changed course and sold some of the gold off and just kept a type set of the 1909 gold. Unfortunately, I really like high graded coins and I just don't have the budget to collect the 1909 gold in very high grades. I just would rather put my resources to focus on expanding this set to include some more of the 1909 varieties like the doubled dies and repunched mintmarks.

<< <i>Was there any particular reason you selected 1909? >>

Sure. I was originally working on a full U.S. Type Set, but I wasn't that into many of the earlier bust types and seated types. I also wasn't that into the moderns either. But I did find myself really enjoying the Indian Cents and the Barbers. I also like key-date coins too. So, that quickly got me to the 1909 year as it has the types I really like and it has some of the big key-dates too. I also like high grade stuff and with my budget, it wouldn't be too easy to do a full set of high grade barbers or high grade indian cents. But if I focus only on one year, I can be pretty happy image

<< <i>
    The luster on the 09-O half must be blinding.
    >>

<< <i>The 09 Indian and 09 O half are the best I have ever seen >>

The 1909-O half sure is lusterous. It was previously in the Dale Friend collection and is one of the most lusterous barbers I've seen in hand. Definitely one of my favorites in the set and very proud to have it here.

The 1909 IHC is also a monster. I got that one from Angel Dee's a couple of years ago and is also one of my favorites. Tons and tons of luster and hardly a flaw, I thought it would get a + grade, but it didn't, still a + to me!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about the coins/photos. Have a great 2011!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file