Options

1909 Mint Set - TrueView Photos

2»

Comments

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I've seen nicer. image

YOU SUCK!!!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the most amazingly gorgeous 1909-O Barber Half I have ever seen! WOW

Thanks for sharing that wonderful set!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Nice Set!
    BGG
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing those beautiful coins, Michael. They make an impressive collection.

I knew you had this set but I think I only saw bits and pieces prior to now. It's terrific to see them altogether like this, with matched photos. And a pedigree!

Have you thought about making some kind of art presentation from it? A quality wall display? I'll bet Stefanie could help. (At least do wallpaper for your PC! That's easy.)

Have you said to yourself "It's done!" or are you continuing to look for upgrades? Getting kind of tough to do now!
    Lance.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    spectacular! image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    SWEET!!!!!!!! I'm jealousimage
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

That is seriously one of the coolest, most stunning sets I have ever seen! I have looked at this thread at least 20 times, and am amazed every time! Of course, I am someone of a Barber coin fan too, but that set is elite by any standard. Thanks again for sharing!
  • Options
    PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Very, Very nice, Classy what else can one say. And we are off to a good start today, not one person said anything about the rim hit around 11:00 on the 1909-S Barber Dime. And please belive me it really doesn't matter. That is a beautiful group. Keep up the good work.
    D.A. Priest
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Awesome isn't good enough. Simply incredible, especially the cents.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Now thats a collection.
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Not sure how I missed this until now. Wow. Very nice.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    No gold minted that year?

Was the 09-O quarter the hardest coin to find?
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    WOW... super nice ! Congrats.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭
    Most Excellent!

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    A set to be proud of for sure image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .......mindbogglingly accomplishment...and amazing eye-appeal !!!
  • Options
    There are sets and then again there are sets. Mike, that is a "SET." Absolutely amazing and beautiful. I didn't count the coins in the set but make a calendar of it and give them to your best friends and pat yourself on the back for a job very well done.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    What a set, congratulations on putting it together. The 09-O Half is absolutely amazing, it looks extremely clean. Have you sent it to CAC for a Green or Gold bean?
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Wowzers! That is an incredible set...
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing those beautiful coins, Michael. They make an impressive collection.

I knew you had this set but I think I only saw bits and pieces prior to now. It's terrific to see them altogether like this, with matched photos. And a pedigree!

Have you thought about making some kind of art presentation from it? A quality wall display? I'll bet Stefanie could help. (At least do wallpaper for your PC! That's easy.)

Have you said to yourself "It's done!" or are you continuing to look for upgrades? Getting kind of tough to do now!
    Lance. >>

Thanks again for the nice comments... haven't really thought about a display or anything like that yet, I guess I'm just not ready for that as I really don't consider the set "done" yet. There are a couple I'd still like to upgrade or just find an example in the same grade that I like better. I'm also working on adding many of the 1909 varieties such as the 1909-S/S Lincolns, the 1909 VDB DDOs and a few others. I'd also like to add each of the 1909 US-Phillipines coins someday (since they were made in San Francisco, for a U.S. Territory and say United States of America on them), but those are extremely hard to find in higher grades. At one point I had just about completed all of the 1909 Gold coins, but I just wasn't as into those as I am in the varieties mentioned above. I'm sure once it's finally "done" I'll do some sort of display. In the meantime, maybe I'll display the real coins at a local show or something like that to get them out there instead of just sitting in the safe deposit box!

<< <i>Very, Very nice, Classy what else can one say. And we are off to a good start today, not one person said anything about the rim hit around 11:00 on the 1909-S Barber Dime. And please belive me it really doesn't matter. That is a beautiful group. Keep up the good work. >>

What's really interesting is that the first time I noticed the small rim hit on the 1909-S dime was when I first downloaded the TrueView photos of it!!! Because of the gasket inside of the PCGS slabs, it isn't possible to see that part of the rim while in the slab. So when I bought it I never noticed that and probably couldn't have ever noticed it. And now, back in the PCGS slab, anyone looking at the coin (w/o seeing the TrueView) would also not know about the hit. Makes me really like the edge view holders more and more. That said, I don't think the hit is that significant but I still would have liked to know about it!!!

<< <i>No gold minted that year? >>

Yes, another 12 coins in the set if you add the gold... I was working on the set but since I can't afford high grade examples I just wasn't as into that part of the set as I was the rest. An AU55 coin just didn't do it for me I guess!! I kept one example of each type though since they are neat coins:

1909 Set w/ Gold Coins (Retired)

<< <i>Was the 09-O quarter the hardest coin to find? >>

Nope. I was very lucky that not too long after I decided to put together a 1909 Mint Set I noticed that coin over on the BST being offered for sale by Connecticoin! At the time it was the most I had spend on a single coin but looking back I'm really glad I stepped up and pulled the trigger as it's not an easy coin to find in that grade. I think the hardest one to find for me was the 1909-S Barber Dime. My goal was to get one in MS65 condition... unfortunately only 5 in that grade graded by PCGS! I was able to find MS66 examples at auctions (as there are 8 of those graded), but they are a $10,000+ coin. It took me nearly two years to find an MS64 example I could live with and only a few months after that for my current MS65 example to show up at an auction.

<< <i>What a set, congratulations on putting it together. The 09-O Half is absolutely amazing, it looks extremely clean. Have you sent it to CAC for a Green or Gold bean?
    >>

The 1909-O Half is a monster coin, only a few examples of that date have ever been certified higher. The coin was in the Dale Friend Collection and I'm very happy to have it in my set now. The coin has been tried for upgrades a couple of times and PCGS just won't bump it up, even though it has more luster and eye appeal than just about every other MS65 Barber I've seen in hand. There are a few small marks and some strike weakness on the reverse that probably are limiting the grade in the eyes of PCGS. The coin was CAC stickered in the past before I sent them in for photos and pedigree. Don't have any plans to send the coin (or any others) back to CAC since the stickers don't really add much value to me. And if I were ever to sell that 1909-O Half, I don't think a CAC sticker would add anything as it's obvious to pretty much anyone looking at it that it's a high end example and is a great coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file