Home Precious Metals

Gold Rush: Alaska

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody watching this? Actual reality show on mining gold in Alaska on TLC. I'd love to see these guys hit a lode, we'll have to see.

Comments

• Neat show...its on Friday nights on the Discovery channel
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, first one I've seen and I guess it's the first one that's showing. I believe Discovery and TLC are sister networks.
  • they very well could be, i'm not sure!

The show is pretty cool though. It would be awful hard to pack up and leave your family and friends behind for months to go dig for gold.......but I will say, the show has me hooked! image

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

It's a cool show, but I wish they would no show so much drama and show more diggin'. But I guess the drama of reality shows keep folks interested.

If their situation is true, I sure hope they find the pay streak......and soon.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved the old guy runnin' around with his machine poking here and there trying to find a glory hole.
    Gold fever. Now there's reality for you.
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    How about when he hit the truck with the backhoe? Nice touch.
    Most of these shows are just footage and ads. Nothing really happens between ads.
  • They ran out of money! image
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    They are not the brightest bunch of guys are they??

I got to give them credit to have the courage to risk it all and go mine some gold!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They ran out of money! image >>

No..His sister loaned him $25k ... 3 more episodes...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>They are not the brightest bunch of guys are they?? >>

It seems like someone breaks something or does something stupid on every episode. I stopped watching it.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried not to watch, but it seems to be on the few occasions I watch TV and nothing else seems to be on at that time.

Morons.

They act as if they're sacrificing everything they have to go on a horrible chore for the greater good of their starving families and to prove the American dream is still alive.

Small operation mining in Alaska? Are you kidding me? I and probably most of the people on this forum would consider their terrible undertaking a vacation. I'd pay good money to have someone guide me to a solid claim and show me how to mine for a summer. Incredible landscape, fresh air, hard work with GOLD as the reward? Man, what a terrible life they live.

You want to take care of your family? Get a job digging ditches or working at McDonalds. Don't act like the vacation of a lifetime is some big sacrifice you're making for their benefit.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay good money to have someone guide me to a solid claim and show me how to mine for a summer. Incredible landscape, fresh air, hard work with GOLD as the reward?

Join the GPAA and go to Alaska and see what mining is all about.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • They rushed in headlong before doing any research on how to mine for Gold, what they really need for equipment, where to look for it, and not just pothole the creek bed. I suspect they will lose their shirt, lose the equipment and everthing. And leave our Great State with a very bad taste in their mouth, if it was that easy to come up here and stand on a piece of ground you have never seen, and tell the men with you ( Your all millionaires all you have to do is dig it up) If it was that easy women and kids would be doing it. A bad case of GOLD FEVER for which there is no cure known to man. I know, been there and done that back in 83, lost it all. All the easy Gold was taken by the Old timers,that founded this State and belive me they did'nt miss much.What's left is deep in the gravel or in hard rock deposits, and beyond the capital of most men. And maybe stiff fines from the DNR, they sorta frown on it when you walk excavators across salmon streams, without permits etc,etc. End of my story about it.

Don
  • Before you decide to come to my state (OK, I don't OWN it...) make sure you read up on all the rules and laws. Driving across a river is a major no-go, as is driving overweight on bridges. ADEC and Fish and Game should be all over these guys. plus, most claims are privately held, so just showing up and digging is a good way to get in serious trouble.

Last thing we need is a bunch of thrill seekers digging eveything up. Bad enough we have all the other shows that make us look like hicks (thanks Palin!)
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Hey Weiss, I own a 4" proline suction dredge with air, and a 2" proline without (for tough locations). I'd be happy to meet you to do some dredging this summer. I go to a creek near Lafayette Indiana. So far, I have found about 4.5 grams of tiny nuggets, the largest is .6 grams, or about the size of a split pea. Thats about 12 trips though!
  • sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Well, here's my understanding of the show....they only found like $20k worth of gold, and Todd sent this idea for the gold show to a European reality show solicitation online which took the idea and sold it to Discovery. Todd and his Dad were in it for the money of the show and convinced these guys they knew from church and hunting to go with them. Todd's focus was always on the money for the show, getting famous, writing a book, etc., and not on actually finding gold. Discovery was (from what I've heard) paying him $75k per episode, so spare me the "we're broke and out of money" line, besides paying for the gas (reality my butt...we have no money for gas to run the equipment couldn't be further from the truth). Then he begs $25k from his sister for the "reality" of the show (again, pulling down big bucks from Discovery. So how about the other guys? Well, Todd in his generosity in convincing these people down on their luck supposedly paid them a whole $1k ea per episode out of his $75k.

This is the epitome of the guy who's out for himself yelling God, country, guns and gold.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Weiss, I own a 4" proline suction dredge with air, and a 2" proline without (for tough locations). I'd be happy to meet you to do some dredging this summer. I go to a creek near Lafayette Indiana. So far, I have found about 4.5 grams of tiny nuggets, the largest is .6 grams, or about the size of a split pea. Thats about 12 trips though! >>

I admire your grit, Gecko. Braving the wilderness to try to forge a better life for your family. image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

• << <i>They rushed in headlong before doing any research on how to mine for Gold, what they really need for equipment, where to look for it, and not just pothole the creek bed. I suspect they will lose their shirt, lose the equipment and everthing. And leave our Great State with a very bad taste in their mouth, if it was that easy to come up here and stand on a piece of ground you have never seen, and tell the men with you ( Your all millionaires all you have to do is dig it up) If it was that easy women and kids would be doing it. A bad case of GOLD FEVER for which there is no cure known to man. I know, been there and done that back in 83, lost it all. All the easy Gold was taken by the Old timers,that founded this State and belive me they did'nt miss much.What's left is deep in the gravel or in hard rock deposits, and beyond the capital of most men. And maybe stiff fines from the DNR, they sorta frown on it when you walk excavators across salmon streams, without permits etc,etc. End of my story about it.

Don >>

Very interesting. I'd like to hear more if you care to write.

• << <i>

<< <i>Hey Weiss, I own a 4" proline suction dredge with air, and a 2" proline without (for tough locations). I'd be happy to meet you to do some dredging this summer. I go to a creek near Lafayette Indiana. So far, I have found about 4.5 grams of tiny nuggets, the largest is .6 grams, or about the size of a split pea. Thats about 12 trips though! >>

I admire your grit, Gecko. Braving the wilderness to try to forge a better life for your family. image >>

Weiss, you are a millionaire! All you gotta do is suck it up off the creek bottom!

• << <i>

<< <i>They rushed in headlong before doing any research on how to mine for Gold, what they really need for equipment, where to look for it, and not just pothole the creek bed. I suspect they will lose their shirt, lose the equipment and everthing. And leave our Great State with a very bad taste in their mouth, if it was that easy to come up here and stand on a piece of ground you have never seen, and tell the men with you ( Your all millionaires all you have to do is dig it up) If it was that easy women and kids would be doing it. A bad case of GOLD FEVER for which there is no cure known to man. I know, been there and done that back in 83, lost it all. All the easy Gold was taken by the Old timers,that founded this State and belive me they did'nt miss much.What's left is deep in the gravel or in hard rock deposits, and beyond the capital of most men. And maybe stiff fines from the DNR, they sorta frown on it when you walk excavators across salmon streams, without permits etc,etc. End of my story about it.

Don >>

Very interesting. I'd like to hear more if you care to write. >>

Maybe i will start a post telling the story of how my Dad caught GOLD FEVER sold it all then lost it, and now that i think about it, it started in March 1981, but that is another story.
    Don
  • The only thing I can think of while watching this show is "trainwreck".

I doubt the sister loaned them the money. The show's network probably threw some cash at them to keep it going.
    The "hat in hand asking the sister for money bit" was just to add to the drama.

Yeah, I'm cynical. I believe most of these reality shows are staged and scripted.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, I'm cynical. I believe most of these reality shows are staged and scripted. >>

Agree with Cops being the only exception.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking we should start a betting pool to see how many make it out alive. Put the over/under at one.

Or we could set the odds at whether or not Todd starts a church after himself. "What would Todd do?..." image
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
    Of course the show got pitched. Why is there any doubt or disgruntledness about that? It doesn't take much to throw an idea at a tv exec and see what's what. Come up with an idea, spec it a bit, pitch it, set your price and entertain offers. I don't understand why folks think there's something wrong with that, especially when they watch it.

Folks here get pissy with pawn/auction/whatever stars thinking it's all staged. Film a pawn shop for 12 hours a day, you'll get 5 minutes of actual show-worthy time for maybe a week or 2 worth of day to day filming. Same with cops.

If you see a Gwinnett County GA episode of cops and see the one where some kid on a bike gets hit by a car and a red-haired cop is the one who responds, that's an old friend of mine Bev. They rode around with her and the other shift guys for a week, 2 crews a day, 12 hour shifts, to get 2 episodes (6 stops) worth of tv material.

I have a show I'd pitch, and I wouldn't do it for free, and I wouldn't expect other folks to either.
    I think the point was the people really are having hard times, but good old Todd convinced them to throw their cash into the idea and time then pocketed $75k an episode while paying the rest of them $1k ea.
    75k minus all the equipment, transport, gas, supplies, etc etc and a grand each for how many, 12 folks? He might have made some money, but I doubt much after all those expenses.
    They all put their money in on this deal, not just Todd. The show paid for their gas (so the constant "we're out of money for gas" thing was more of that non-"reality" tv). He made out. As I understand it, they had been forced to sell an airstrip he and his father owned before the show. They bought it back afterwards.
  • I stopped watching because the Todd fellow is a bully and the ginger bearded fellow wouldn't smack him one , that and the old man's shrieking voice just was too much.

• << <i>

<< <i>Yeah, I'm cynical. I believe most of these reality shows are staged and scripted. >>

Agree with Cops being the only exception. >>

Was thinking the same thing after checking out the re-encated "Operation Repo" . ." Cops' maybe the only true reality show and I think the very first.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Was thinking the same thing after checking out the re-encated "Operation Repo" . ." Cops' maybe the only true reality show and I think the very first. >>

The first reality show would most likely be the 1973 PBS show An American Family, but since it was on PBS there was probably nobody watching.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Was thinking the same thing after checking out the re-encated "Operation Repo" . ." Cops' maybe the only true reality show and I think the very first. >>

The first reality show would most likely be the 1973 PBS show An American Family, but since it was on PBS there was probably nobody watching. >>

just checked that out. 10 million viewers...not bad. Cops may be longest running of them all at least.
  • Closed out the mining season with a stinking $20k worth of gold and over a quarter of a million in losses.
    Maybe next season (assuming there is another season) they'll hit real pay dirt in that glory hole.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Closed out the mining season with a stinking $20k worth of gold and over a quarter of a million in losses.
    Maybe next season (assuming there is another season) they'll hit real pay dirt in that glory hole. >>

It's not all losses. That equipment and that entire setup has value. I'm sure they could sell the mining operation and equipment and get most of their investment back.

The one thing that got me is that they always seemed to be down to their last dollar, but they always had money to fly people in and out of there.

And Dorsey was such a whining loser, I don't think that guy could do anything right.

In the last episode they made about $20k worth of gold, but I'm not sure if that includes the $8k from before. Because of that, it does seem that the operation is viable for starting up next year. And if they can pull 10oz/day, it will be profitable.

• << <i>Closed out the mining season with a stinking $20k worth of gold and over a quarter of a million in losses.
    Maybe next season (assuming there is another season) they'll hit real pay dirt in that glory hole. >>

And a big fat extension for another season with discovery ... I bet that alone is over $3M.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is NO such thing as a reality show on TV.

It's all scripted and staged.

Survivor scenes are refilmed 5 times over.

That 'repo' show is too phoney to believe (bad acting).

And the pawn shop show is totally unbelievable. What shop owner brings in an expert IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMER to discuss the value of the item??

Example: Customer brings in old firearm

Pawnshop owner: " I don't know the value, let me bring in an expert."

Expert: "Gun would fetch $10,000 at auction." (in front of customer).

Pawnshop owner: "I'd like to buy it, I'll give you $4000.00, because I've got to make something"

Customer: OK, I'll take it."

Now you tell me if you own a store, you would openly divulge the item's worth in front of your customer??

And if you were the customer, why wouldn't you auction it and get $10,000?

I don't watch any reality TV shows.

Actually, I do watch one and that's Hell Kitchen, not because I get wrapped up in its 'reality', but only because I like to see Chef Ramsey lose his cool and drop F bombs.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

• << <i>

<< <i>Closed out the mining season with a stinking $20k worth of gold and over a quarter of a million in losses.

And a big fat extension for another season with discovery ... I bet that alone is over $3M. >>

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If the viewing audience are just us coin collectors and goldbugs, then the ratings must be terrible.
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    For those interested, a new season of Gold Rush Alaksa starts Friday, October 28th.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to Comcast on demand I'm all caught up this season (except for last night).
    I hate reality shows but this is cool stuff. I'm trying to look past how it's contrived or staged so I can just enjoy seeing the processes of mining and the gorgeous scenery.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    what a joke! give me Alaska State troopers ANY DAY!

who got rich off the original AK rush?

they were the suppliers of tools and guides and those who transported the (hopeful) losers
  • I've been watching. Interesting to see how Dakota Fred is getting a taste of karma after he "stole" Porcupine Creek.

The 16-year old is smart, but sometimes too smart for his own good.

• << <i>I've been watching. Interesting to see how Dakota Fred is getting a taste of karma after he "stole" Porcupine Creek.

The 16-year old is smart, but sometimes too smart for his own good. >>

Dakota Fred did nothing wrong in buying a claim he thought was profitable......he did not steal anything. He simply grabbed an opportunity. That being said, I think he is a jagoff with a snide attitude, and I am enjoying watching his failure.
  • I'd have to agree with most of the comments here. First off these guys are clowns who went at this with no research and totally unprepared. But my thought was the constant BS about going home broke and the "must make $$" stuff. They have to be getting some big bucks for this show even if they dont find a gram. Maybe they should use some of the TV money to hire someone who knows what they're doing and poney up for some decent equipment.

The only comment I don't agree with is that its "the vacation of a lifetime", that still has to be some hard work and it didnt look like they had cabins with Hot tubs either.
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Ya right, thier going to mine in the Yukon where other companys have D10 bulldozers running 24 hours a day - give
    me a brake!! image The show is so patherically inaccurate- I need one of those fake bricks to throw at the T.V. image
    I really got a kick out of the show where Todd went to talk to the investor guy- that was about the most corny
    thing I have ever seen on the tube!!

• << <i>
    I really got a kick out of the show where Todd went to talk to the investor guy- that was about the most corny
    thing I have ever seen on the tube!! >>

Todd is a corny guy. Just listen to him and his dad talk-- they're blind optimists and walking cliches.
  • You guys mean this "reality" show isn't real?? image

• << <i>

<< <i>I've been watching. Interesting to see how Dakota Fred is getting a taste of karma after he "stole" Porcupine Creek.

The 16-year old is smart, but sometimes too smart for his own good. >>

Dakota Fred did nothing wrong in buying a claim he thought was profitable......he did not steal anything. He simply grabbed an opportunity. That being said, I think he is a jagoff with a snide attitude, and I am enjoying watching his failure. >>

That's why I put "stole" in quotes. I did not think he literally stole anything, just moved in on their stake because of a stupid mistake Todd made.

• << <i>You guys mean this "reality" show isn't real?? image >>

I think the mining part is real. I don't think you could stage those kind of f__k ups.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree, id love to see them hit the mother lode as well. best wishes to them
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Here's some Alaskan gold ...

Bought, then sold, this nugget a while back. Did very well on it though, so no regrets.