Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sold Out BBCE DECEMBER 1975 Topps Mini Baseball Box Rip

2»

Comments

• Options
    Next time there is a rip proposed, and I want to participate, someone slap me and tell me NO!! Worst rip I've participated in. The centering was BRUTAL!! And literally my best card was #194 Mantle/Newcombe MVP card. Nothing submittable. I think I may have learned my lesson. Thanks for the rip.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That stinks.

All the 75 mini's I bought from Steve as of late have been pretty nice in terms of clean and centered cards with no gum bleeding at all. This was a year or so ago and the boxes/packs
    came from the Conlon collection that REA auctioned. I guess these were from there and just a bad luck box.

aconte
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Uggggg.....maybe I should just get mine slabbed and sell it....how did the packs themselves look? Pretty decent?
  • Options

<< <i>Uggggg.....maybe I should just get mine slabbed and sell it....how did the packs themselves look? Pretty decent? >>

Pretty rough, actually. image The corners weren't pretty.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I have never known Gumby to cry about things. Imagine that!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Every '75 Mini pack I've ever opened has a 1:10 ratio of centered cards, if not worse. You shouldn't expect much with these packs. Like any vintage pack bust, it's like playing the lottery. Lower your expectations.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like this box wasn't stored properly if there's gum damage like that...doesn't sound like these came from the REA sealed cases that Aconte was referring to..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Steve made it seem like these where the last of the REA cases.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Brutal centering here too, really all these cards could go to Barfvader. This one really sucks . Sorry for the bad scan, just got a new PC with Win 7 and my old all-in-one is not happy.

Edited to add I decided to go ahead and open all 4 packs, just couldn't see selling them someday knowing they were gonna be so o/c.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    That Yount is not OC. That's MC.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Yount is not OC. That's MC. >>

Barf collects MC.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    that is unfortunately so common on the yount card , too bad.
  • Options
    Like I said on page ONE of this thread...if any of you guys have cards that you do not plan to submit for grading, I might be interested in them to complete my set.

Click on 1975 Mini's in my signature and help me out if you choose to....

Tom
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    if anyone has nicely centerd 75 minis from BBCE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM.....

not sure they exist
  • Options

<< <i>Uggggg.....maybe I should just get mine slabbed and sell it....how did the packs themselves look? Pretty decent? >>

PSA site states they do not slab the Mini's
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

PSA site states they do not slab the Mini's >>

Is that a recent change? I have PSA slabbed '75 mini packs.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Here is the best from my two packs:

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭
    3 packs, and this is the best, both player and centering. Hope that the 72 Football is better. Next rip I and going to decide what I want, and take the $$ amount and head to ebay to buy graded cards from the potential rip with the $$.

$100 for:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is that a recent change? I have PSA slabbed '75 mini packs. >>

Here is the link. LINK GOTO BOTTOM

Here is the wording:

An Important Note About Available Pack Holders

Prior to submitting packs to PSA, please check the list below for the most up-to-date list of available holder sizes. This list will contain the types of packs and sizes that the PSA pack holder can currently accommodate. Keep in mind that PSA is in the process of creating several new holders so checking the list prior to submission is of the utmost importance.

The following packs can be graded by PSA at this time:

Baseball Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello regular issue/size.

Basketball Packs: 1957/58 Topps, 1961/62 Fleer and 1972-present issues. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boys such as 1969/70 or 1976/77 Topps issues.

Football Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boys such as the 1965 Topps issue.

Hockey Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boys such as the 1964/65 Topps issue.

Miscellaneous Sports/Non-Sports Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boy issues, which there are many in this category.

Additional Note: Oddball-sized packs, such as 1975 Minis, cannot be graded at the present time. Please continue to check this page for updates.

Please keep in mind that this list is subject to change as PSA develops new holder sizes.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    I've submitted to PSA and had holdered dozens of both 1975 mini wax and cello packs..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is that a recent change? I have PSA slabbed '75 mini packs. >>

Here is the link. LINK GOTO BOTTOM

Here is the wording:

An Important Note About Available Pack Holders

Prior to submitting packs to PSA, please check the list below for the most up-to-date list of available holder sizes. This list will contain the types of packs and sizes that the PSA pack holder can currently accommodate. Keep in mind that PSA is in the process of creating several new holders so checking the list prior to submission is of the utmost importance.

The following packs can be graded by PSA at this time:

Baseball Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello regular issue/size.

Basketball Packs: 1957/58 Topps, 1961/62 Fleer and 1972-present issues. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boys such as 1969/70 or 1976/77 Topps issues.

Football Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boys such as the 1965 Topps issue.

Hockey Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boys such as the 1964/65 Topps issue.

Miscellaneous Sports/Non-Sports Packs: 1957-present - both Wax and Cello. Note - PSA cannot grade Tall Boy issues, which there are many in this category.

Additional Note: Oddball-sized packs, such as 1975 Minis, cannot be graded at the present time. Please continue to check this page for updates.

Please keep in mind that this list is subject to change as PSA develops new holder sizes. >>

Cory, that wording hasn't changed since the day PSA decided to grade packs. They now grade the 75 mini's as well as 1951 thru 1956 Topps packs. John

Edit, as well as late 40's, early 50's Bowman packs.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Steve will stop by this thread...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    From two pack, this is the best of the litter. Not sure which will work so trying two methods.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/GooshA/img015.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/GooshA/img016.jpg

Very fun. I went back 35 years in my life opening these. Could care less if all off center, just as I could care less, or probably did not even notice, when I was a kid.

thanks dudes.

• Options
    Uggg!! I had the card above Yount on the sheet (one number off)...mine was miscut as well....horrible horrible!!! Next time someone wants to rip, please talk me out of it!
  • Options
    Ripping '75 mini packs is not for the faint of heart.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe Steve will stop by this thread... >>

And say what ? Refunds for everyone ??? Or I'm not selling for group rips anymore ???

• Options
    Yea..I concur...he has no way of knowing how the cards are in the packs.....
  • Options
    From what I remember of past rips, 75's have ALWAYS been bad. When keep going to the well ?
  • Options
    I didn't participate in this '75 mini rip, but I have several times in the past. I've had sup par results most of the time, but I keep coming back because it's fun. I pay more for the fun experience than for the cards themselves.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe Steve will stop by this thread... >>

And say what ? >>

Thanks...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    From what I remember of past rips, 75's have ALWAYS been bad. When keep going to the well ?

Incorrect. Right after the REA auctions, we had a group rip of 75 minis from Steve and those packs yielded among the best centered and quality cards I've ever seen in 75 mini packs. This issue is NOTORIOUS for OC cards, and that is why PSA 9 low pop commons go for $500+.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Incorrect. Right after the REA auctions, we had a group rip of 75 minis from Steve and those packs yielded among the best centered and quality cards I've ever seen in 75 mini packs. This issue is NOTORIOUS for OC cards, and that is why PSA 9 low pop commons go for $500+. >>

Tim , is correct. these cards go in runs , the runs also differ even within the case as 1/2 the boxes could be well centered and some be way off . the norw is that a case would go one way or the other. The case codes don't tell you anything either as I had 2 cases with the same codes yield completely opposite results.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Not that the cards aren't cool...and not that it isn't fun to rip 70's vintage packs....but.....

Personally, after seeing this thread, I'll probably never open '75 Topps packs. I expect a bare minimum of 60/40 centering on everything in the pack every time I open anything. It should be RARE that anything is in really messed-up shape. MAYBE one card or two. Maybe.

That's just way too scary to me. Every pack of anything should yield zero miscuts, and very few cards that are way off-center.

I've never seen anything like that even with cracking boxes or racks of '77, '78, or '79 Topps (and the latter is usually worse).

-- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    You don't even get that high of quality from 2010 Topps packs, so I'm not sure why you would hold such high standards for the mid-70s. The late 70s yield a lot less miscuts, but they still have their centering issues. This is why we pay so much for PSA 9s and 10s. It's rare to find centered cards.
  • Options
    Not that the cards aren't cool...and not that it isn't fun to rip 70's vintage packs....but.....

Personally, after seeing this thread, I'll probably never open '75 Topps packs. I expect a bare minimum of 60/40 centering on everything in the pack every time I open anything. It should be RARE that anything is in really messed-up shape. MAYBE one card or two. Maybe.

That's just way too scary to me. Every pack of anything should yield zero miscuts, and very few cards that are way off-center.

I've never seen anything like that even with cracking boxes or racks of '77, '78, or '79 Topps (and the latter is usually worse).

A minimum of 60/40 centering on everything in the pack? Are you serious? LOL...If that were the case PSA 10 commons would go for the price of grading instead of $500++

And though centering is particularly tough on the 75 minis, I have opened up a boatload of late 70s unopened (1978, 1979) and have found the same OC issues in those years, as well. maybe not as dramatic as you find with the 75 minis, but if the card is OC, it's OC...and you can buy PSA 10s from 1979 for ten bucks, too..

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I buy brand new stuff that have dinged corners and are OC as well. It's a lotto ticket, otherwise there would be no premium for 9's and 10's. I'd love to bust a pile of 75 minins where the the centering was primo and the corners were sharp as glass but it dosen't always happen, it dosen't happen with 2010 stuff either. If you want mint cards, buy them. it's speculating, nothing more nothing less. The thrill of opening stuff from 30+ years ago is figured into the price. The second best thing to gambling and winning is gambling and losing.
  • Options

<< <i>Not that the cards aren't cool...and not that it isn't fun to rip 70's vintage packs....but.....

A minimum of 60/40 centering on everything in the pack? Are you serious? LOL...If that were the case PSA 10 commons would go for the price of grading instead of $500++

And though centering is particularly tough on the 75 minis, I have opened up a boatload of late 70s unopened (1978, 1979) and have found the same OC issues in those years, as well. maybe not as dramatic as you find with the 75 minis, but if the card is OC, it's OC...and you can buy PSA 10s from 1979 for ten bucks, too.. >>

I haven't had that same experience. I guess I've had VERY, VERY good luck then on my '77-'79 rips. Not many off-centered more than 60/40 or so. But the whole idea of finding one or two centered cards in several packs is just BS. Never doing that. haha.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options

And though centering is particularly tough on the 75 minis, I have opened up a boatload of late 70s unopened (1978, 1979) and have found the same OC issues in those years, as well. maybe not as dramatic as you find with the 75 minis, but if the card is OC, it's OC...and you can buy PSA 10s from 1979 for ten bucks, too.. >>

I haven't had that same experience. I guess I've had VERY, VERY good luck then on my '77-'79 rips. Not many off-centered more than 60/40 or so. But the whole idea of finding one or two centered cards in several packs is just BS. Never doing that. haha.

How many PSA 10s have you subbed from those rips? I'm going to bet not a lot, if any, as most people not familiar with the issue and unopened product in general tend to overestimate the condition of thir cards, particularly with regards to centering. And even if you do sub a few PSA 10s from 1978 or 1979, unless the card is a star card or RC or low pop common, you're looking at a card value of less than 20 bucks in most cases. Contrast that with a PSA 10 1975 mini which commands at least a couple hundred dollars, and in many cases much more, and you can maybe understand why opening those packs is as exciting as it is. And if you get a run of well-centered cards, it's better than winning the lottery, LOL..

• Options
    That does make sense. That'd be a lot of fun (running across a very centered, non-tilted box of '75 Topps).

In regards to my comment on late 70's (77-79) rips, don't misunderstand me...I'm not saying I pull a ton of PSA 9s and 10s. LOL. I'm saying that I've pulled far less junk than it looks like are housed in the '75 rips I've seen. image That's all. It seems "safer" based on my experience.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Missed on the rip.. did the last one and it was cool to open cards from 35 yrs ago...

I'm working on a graded set looking for well centered cards. LMK if you have any to sell / trade. Thanks!

Want list:

1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 12, 15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 30, 37, 38, 41, 50, 53, 54, 56, 61, 62, 66, 70, 73, 74, 77, 80, 84, 86, 94, 96, 97

100, 101, 105, 106, 107, 116, 117, 121, 126, 128, 130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 140, 141, 142, 144, 145, 146, 150, 152, 157, 158, 160, 168, 172, 173, 177, 178, 180, 186, 194, 195

209, 210, 212, 215, 216, 218, 219, 220, 222, 228, 230, 237, 243, 245, 246, 257, 259, 260, 261, 268, 269, 271, 275, 276, 277, 289, 297

300, 301, 302, 304, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 314, 315, 317, 322, 330, 331, 339, 245, 361, 270, 371, 376, 380, 384, 390

401, 405, 407, 408, 417, 429, 433, 434, 442, 444, 453, 458, 481, 483, 485, 493, 494, 497, 499

502, 507, 508, 509, 512, 513, 514, 515, 519, 520, 524, 525, 526, 527, 530, 532, 537, 541, 545, 549, 561, 562, 564, 565, 580, 583, 596, 599

600, 603, 611, 612, 616, 617, 618, 620, 634, 637, 638, 640, 646, 649, 650
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks