Home Precious Metals

Silver better long term metal ?

Would like your thoughts!

Comments

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I like silver better than gold but they may because I cant afford to play with the big boys.......I.m cool with thatimage
  • i think so.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both. Talk about "Sophie's Choice".image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like both. Talk about "Sophie's Choice".image >>

Yes. I'm glad the metals aren't my children though...

I, too, like both. Copper is fine as well. Any of the PMs, too.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yes It Will."

"Yes It Has", since...
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like silver, gold and copper and I will explain why:

1. Copper I can get at fv through copper pennies. Now when i get change I look for the copper pennies and put them aside. Non copper pennies go into my change jar. I've probably got 300 copper pennies now. Not a lot but just started a few months ago and got them from change. If copper prices ever go up, maybe copper pennies will be traded heavily like 90% silver is. Also its something fun to do and the kids enjoy it.

2. Silver is great because even with 10 bucks in my wallet I can stack some silver. I especially like 90% because its recognizable and the fact that its not being made anymore. Plus its neat to show children a benjamin franklin half dollar and see their eye light up when you tell them how much its worth and that this kind of coin was being used many years ago.

3. Gold is shiny and I like it ahhaha. Awesome because its in big demand, look at how many cash for gold places at the malls and businesses like Western Union putting cash for gold signs are sprouting up. Granted they want to rip you off and make money but gold is looked at in awe so I want some of that metal! Plus in many asian countries, gold is highly favored.

Can't go wrong getting all 3!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No preference here. I am buying as much of each as I can afford. They can fight it out. image
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Yes, if you started stacking @ 15,12,10,8, & 5$ +/- a ounce and still have it allimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Excellent points Mike! image

I do prefer gold in the long run, I think it is more known by the average people.

I find silver more fun. You can buy more and enjoy bigger quantities even with a low budget.
    However, it swings too much but that's fun when you buy it to make some profit on the short term.

Copper? No please. It's too heavy. (though, that copper Panda is one of my favorite coins)

Pd and Pt? Same as silver with less fun due to their high prices.

I am stuck mainly with gold because it will be easier to carry (or ship) whenever I will go back home.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver in the long run. Unlike gold, industrial consumption of silver dwindles world supply. Eventually we will hit peak silver and see total supply start to decline.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Ciccio, copper panda? Pls elaborate!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>Ciccio, copper panda? Pls elaborate! >>

It's a 1993 copper Panda. I think it's pretty common.
    I have 2 but since you don't trust chinese coins I can't sell on to you! image

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Copper is good to keep locked in your safe, while you stash your gold and silver elsewhere--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So, where does my 6 foot ball of tin foil stand?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Is it aluminum foil or tin foil? Not sure which makes a better hat for some people around here---BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is an investment which might go up or down but will do exceedingly well in the long term.

Gold is insurance and protects against inflation. It will assuredly do well in the short term but
    will definitely do poorly if held too long. A wise investor will try to always have at least 5% of
    his wealth in gold and try to stay under 20%. Now is a good time for it to be close to the high
    side but it should have gotten there by the increase in gold price. If you don't have gold then
    now is a good time to get your feet wet.

As soon as an end is seen to inflation it will be too late to sell gold. Try to get out early. Keep
    enough for insurance and trade the rest for silver.
    Tempus fugit.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No preference here. I am buying as much of each as I can afford. They can fight it out. image >>

PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • For the general public, if Silver goes above $ 50 I think this is what will happen...

- Morgans and Peace $ will be too expensive for the "avg" person to buy....
    - They will instead buy 90% Halves......
    - If silver goes crazy, 90% will become too expensive to own and the 40% market will explode...

Gold can only be had by the rich in volume.... the "every day person" is the one who will drive silver instead of gold as it is more affordable.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had no precious metals at all, I would begin with silver and build towards a 50:50 ratio (in dollar terms) of silver:gold. Silver can be more volatile and rewarding, but it can also be unforgiving at the most inconvenient times. I've had great luck with silver, but my holdings are very long term and will continue to be very long term. Silver has the advantage if divisibility. Gold has the advantage of portability.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The average person doesnt have any savings or credit nowadays ...they simply can not see the advantage of silver over a new iphone.

why do people believe that the average joe will buy any silver?

Silver has done nothing but loose ground to gold over the last 50 years.

Some silver its fine and it its surely a good alternative to fiat ...but silver its not money ...GOLD is.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx

• << <i>So, where does my 6 foot ball of tin foil stand? >>

I sure hope it stands in the garage; otherwise, it will take up too much room in the living room and there will be no room for the Christmas tree.image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The average person doesnt have any savings or credit nowadays ...they simply can not see the advantage of silver over a new iphone.

Some silver its fine and it its surely a good alternative to fiat ...but silver its not money ...GOLD is. >>

The average joe will not be responsible for silver's climb. Serious investors/speculators who lose faith in other investment classes will drive silver up. PMs are the investment class of last resort to the mainstream investor/speculator.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The average person doesnt have any savings or credit nowadays ...they simply can not see the advantage of silver over a new iphone.

Some silver its fine and it its surely a good alternative to fiat ...but silver its not money ...GOLD is. >>

The average joe will not be responsible for silver's climb. Serious investors/speculators who lose faith in other investment classes will drive silver up. PMs are the investment class of last resort to the mainstream investor/speculator. >>

Historically, silver is prolly fully valued as is gold. The push from here will be speculative as an industrial boom pushing silver isn't likely. Keep in mind that in most developed countries there is a VAT tax attached to physical ownership of silver, not so with gold.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>why do people believe that the average joe will buy any silver? >>

Don't know...but who purchased approx 60 million ASE's in the last 2 years, along with all sorts of silver coin options offered by the Mint. In addition, million's of ounces from various bullion dealers such as APMEX. Let me guess: "The Tooth Ferry."

You are underestimating J6P

BTW Silver closed up 3.61% today.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Silver over $29 today. Will it reach$30 before close?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver over $29 today. Will it reach$30 before close? >>

I hope so so the Aussie stuff I bought the other day becomes relatively 'cheaper'.