Home Precious Metals
Options

Face value help...from the mathematically impaired

percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
I can't figure out fair value on Face value silver.
IE. $100 face of 90% silver... --says it's mix of Halves--Walkers, Barbers, Kennedys-- How much is it worth?--

What happens when the ad reads $100 face value of mixed coins...dimes and quarters and halves....this is really tricky to me? How much is fair value?

I just don't get face value.. I can figure out weights better.
Thanks in advance!!
"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Comments

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    multiply face value by .715 to get the silver weight in troy ounces.
    Zach
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have two dimes, a nickel and three quarters thats $1.00 face value.
    Just add up the coins. 25 half dollar, 31 quarters and 27 dimes is $22.95 face value.

Now if they want FV x 18.5 just multiply the two. 22.95 x 18.5 = $424.575

hope that helps.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    as in $100 face of silver? what's not to get?
    200 dimes are $20
    200 quarters are $50
    60 halves are $30

you didn't really want me to do this did you?
    but i know you are a brighter bulb than that.image

i personally still like the 90% to be in one denomination. i guess a mix might be more fun to peruse through for a cherrypick or something like that.

and i like Bob's answer above

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    coinflation.com is the easiest way image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Try this one.

AUandAG has a jar that contains 51 coins.
    They are all either 90% quarters or war nickels.
    The total value of the coins in the jar is $ 8.55
    How many of each coin does he have and what is the total melt value?
    Show all your work.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

coinflation shows the Morgan's and Peace Dollars as having slightly more silver than $1 worth of 90% silver dimes, quarters, and half dollars.

» There are 0.7735 troy ounces of silver in 1 silver Peace dollar(s).
    » There are 0.7735 troy ounces of silver in 1 silver Morgan dollar(s).

» There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 10 silver Mercury dime(s).
    » There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 10 silver Roosevelt dime(s).
    » There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 4 silver Washington quarter(s).
    » There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 2 silver Walking Liberty half dollar(s).
    » There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 2 silver Franklin half dollar(s).
    » There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 2 silver 1964 Kennedy half dollar(s).

What you are missing is that, despite it being technologically inferior than today, the US Gov't had standards and made sure that $1 worth of silver coin was worth $1 no matter which coins were chosen to make the dollar.

Which is why the higher silver content for the $1 coins is puzzling to me.

Does coinflation have it wrong?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try this one.

Show all your work. >>

Impossible to answer! I'm not allowed to have glass (could hurt myself)!

bobimage

Oh, can't show my work as it was in my head: 30 quarters and 21 nickels.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting.

coinflation shows the Morgan's and Peace Dollars as having slightly more silver than $1 worth of 90% silver dimes, quarters, and half dollars.

» There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 2 silver Walking Liberty half dollar(s).
    » There are 0.7234 troy ounces of silver in 2 silver 1964 Kennedy half dollar(s).

What you are missing is that, despite it being technologically inferior than today, the US Gov't had standards and made sure that $1 worth of silver coin was worth $1 no matter which coins were chosen to make the dollar.

Does coinflation have it wrong? >>

Coinflation has it right. A US silver dollar has a higher ASW than 2 halves, 4 quarters, etc. . . . Politics ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Thanks and bless all here!

These various approaches help!!
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting.

Does coinflation have it wrong? >>

Thanks. I wasn't sure of the weight of the various coins. They're the same.. ,7234 for all but the dollars...which are .7735.

So if the ad reads various (no dollars though) mulitple the face times .7234?
  • Options

<< <i>as in $100 face of silver? what's not to get?
    200 dimes are $20
    200 quarters are $50
    60 halves are $30

you didn't really want me to do this did you?
    but i know you are a brighter bulb than that.image

i personally still like the 90% to be in one denomination. i guess a mix might be more fun to peruse through for a cherrypick or something like that.

and i like Bob's answer above >>

I guess I meant the silver value of the face value... Like $20 worth of dimes equals how much silver... but MsM has posted the weights. I didn't realize the quarters and dimes and halves all had the same weight of silver.
  • Options

<< <i>coinflation.com is the easiest way image >>

Easiest, maybe. But let me be quite frank here for a moment. If you are the type of person who can only "calculate" price conversions through a website, and dont have any interest in learning how to do it yourself with a calculator....then buying precious metals is something you may want to reconsider as a hobby or investment.

Sorry, but thats how I really feel.
  • Options
    Oh, and percyb...before I dismount from my soapbox, the following will help you to always know how to calculate FV on U.S. 90% (non-dollars):

If you want to know the multiplier (I.E. what is the melt value as expressed "xFace") all you do is take silver spot price and multiply that by .715. So if silver is currently at $26.50/oz and you want to know what your Franklin half melts at......just take $26.50 x .715 = 18.95x Face. So 18.95 x .50 cents = $9.48.

If you want to know how much actual silver is contained in a group of halves, quarters, and dimes.....just get the actual face value....lets say $22.85 total....and multiply that by .715. That will result in actual silver as expressed in ozt. $22.85 x .715 = 16.34 ozt silver.

Hope this helps......its nice to be able to make these calculations WITHOUT the crutch of a website....especially one that calculates the above based on UNCs, which we all know isnt the real world.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and percyb...before I dismount from my soapbox, the following will help you to always know how to calculate FV on U.S. 90% (non-dollars):

If you want to know the multiplier (I.E. what is the melt value as expressed "xFace") all you do is take silver spot price and multiply that by .715. So if silver is currently at $26.50/oz and you want to know what your Franklin half melts at......just take $26.50 x .715 = 18.95x Face. So 18.95 x .50 cents = $9.48.

If you want to know how much actual silver is contained in a group of halves, quarters, and dimes.....just get the actual face value....lets say $22.85 total....and multiply that by .715. That will result in actual silver as expressed in ozt. $22.85 x .715 = 16.34 ozt silver.

Hope this helps......its nice to be able to make these calculations WITHOUT the crutch of a website....especially one that calculates the above based on UNCs, which we all know isnt the real world. >>

Hi Geck--Thanks for the multipliers. I use to be good at math until I....I forget .

I will cut, paste, and save this and a few of the other threads above.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The multiplier for unworn 90% is .7234, but since alot of 90% is circulated a practical multiplier is .715 x face = silver wt.

An unworn silver half has 0.36169 oz.

I used to know why silver dollars had a disproportionately higher amount of silver as compared to other 90%, but I forget too!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>
    Hi Geck--Thanks for the multipliers. I use to be good at math until I....I forget .

I will cut, paste, and save this and a few of the other threads above. >>

I did the same and started a word file with these notes.
    I am not sure if I should name it "The Bible" or "The Survivor Manual"! image

Of course, thanks everyone for the info! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I will cut, paste, and save this and a few of the other threads above. >>

I did the same and started a word file with these notes.
    I am not sure if I should name it "The Bible" or "The Survivor Manual"! image

Of course, thanks everyone for the info! image >>

You could name it The Suvivor Manual Bible image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try this one.

Show all your work. >>

30 quarters and 21 nickels. Piss on showing my work.
  • Options
    The reason that $1 of 90% halves, quarters and dimes contain less silver than the $1 90% coin is due to seigniorage.

It basically covered the cost of minting the coins.
  • Options

<< <i>The reason that $1 of 90% halves, quarters and dimes contain less silver than the $1 90% coin is due to seigniorage.

It basically covered the cost of minting the coins. >>

Although im not doubting your reasoning, i'd like to ask why the mint only applied lower seigniorage on the $1 coins? Since its obvious that making 2 half dollars takes more effort than making one $1 coin, why is it then that 5 dimes contains the same amount of silver as 2 halves?
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    why is it then that 5 dimes contains the same amount of silver as 2 halves

And all these years I thought 10 dimes had the same amount of silver as 2 halves............image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i think it was more of a "tax" than a marginal economic cost, gecko. at least that's what i got out of reading the wikipedia link.
  • Options
    Gecko, you seem to be applying logic to an action taken by the government. That never ends well...

I honestly don't know why, but it does make it much easier to buy and sell "fractional" 90%. We get to use .715 as the multipler for dimes, quarters, and halves instead of a different one for each denomination.
  • Options

<< <i>multiply face value by .715 to get the silver weight in troy ounces. >>

Thanks.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or divide the price of silver by 1.4 to obtain the *approximate* multiple of face value for 90% coins.

Example: $29.38 / 1.4 = 20.98, meaning each 90% silver (dime,quarter,half) contains about 21 times its face value in silver. Sellers of these coins will typically receive a bit less, due to buyer overhead and/or melting costs.

For Morgan and Peace silver dollars, divide the price of silver by 1.3 instead of 1.4. Example: $29.38 / 1.3 = 22.60, meaning each 90% silver dollar contains about 22.6 times its face value in silver.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)