Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type 2 Gold Dollars for a Boring Sunday~~~~

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Type 2 Gold dollar was a beautiful, but doomed, design. The relief was too high, the date on the reverse often failed to strike up well, as did the lettering on the obverse. But...the portrait....I feel that is by far the most beautiful rendition of Liberty that Longacre ever designed. The Indian Princess...

This coin in addition to being a perennial favorite (and need ) of type collectos, is a 3 year type, coined by five mints. The last year, 1856, is odd in that a coin of two different designs was stuck for the same denomination.

To complete this litte set, including the proofs, in high MS conditions, would cost over one million dollars. YIKES

Theodore Roosevelt felt it was the most beautiful American coin ever struck......no doubt young Teddy, born in 1858 , got more than his fair share of gold dollars as a child..they were a favorite gift at Christmas and other occasions. Some were thrown into the jewelry manufacture stream, and either holed, bound in a bezel, solder onto a loop, had the back shaved off and reengraved. soldered onto buttons, made into stickpins....

just about everything but used for money. They are not uncommon but nice specimens tend to bring MOON money. Worn coins have a wonderful patina and softening of the detail that looks good on the design.

So..as always, Post em if ya got eh!

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is never boring..... I was just looking at some of my gold and enjoying it's subtle glow and artistic beauty. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the TR was attracted to the Type III gold dollar, not the Type II.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple not shown yet:
    imageimage
    imageimage
    liefgold
  • Options
    Here's my Type II Gold dollar. I would have loved to have seen this one when it was new given the strike quality. It is an AU-55

imageimage

And here is my Type III, which I think is under graded as an MS-64.

imageimage

P.S. Halloween is never boring ...image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful strike on that T2!! Especially since virtually all T2's were weakly struck. Nicest AU55 I have seen.
    liefgold
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Gold Dollars. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 56-S/S. Bad picture but it is very clear in hand.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>That is a beautiful strike on that T2!! Especially since virtually all T2's were weakly struck. Nicest AU55 I have seen. >>

I have owned two examples of that variety of 1854 Type II gold dollar. Breen listed it as 1854 II-4, "Slender Obverse letters, rusty obverse die, date slants slightly down to the right." The one I did own is probably now in an MS-65 holder. It was one of the best examples that veteran dealer Cathern Bullowa had see. I traded it away almost 25 years ago.

I've been looking for an upgrade from my AU-55 piece, but have not seen anything I liked yet.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just struck me that we have done a complete date MM Variety set here, virtually...

1854 DDo
    1855 C
    1855 D
    1855 O
    1856 S
    1856 S/S

Amazing.....Covered them All! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file