Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA 10 Wrestling All Stars Heating Up

Comments

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    The 1982 Wrestling All Stars are RED HOT!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how these finish. WCSports auctions always do well and they are a real class act seller.

The pop report shows three Ric Flair PSA 10's but it is really two as one is in a BGS 9.5 holder. I don't know what this will fetch but it should go for a nice amount.

• Options
    Is it just me or does this seller seem to have a never ending supply of these "rare" cards?
  • Options
    This is the second batch he has sold. I am not certain how that is a never ending supply.

There is another seller who sells BGS graded one's.

PSA is much stricter on centering and surface flaws. This PSA 10 Ric Flair is a very nice card. As you are all aware I own the other one.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    It takes one big find to make these worthless, regardless of how "rare" they are.
  • Options

<< <i>It takes one big find to make these worthless, regardless of how "rare" they are. >>

Isn't that a true statement with anything?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It takes one big find to make these worthless, regardless of how "rare" they are. >>

Isn't that a true statement with anything? >>

Not with hookers and blow. Those will always hold a certain value no matter how many or much more comes on the market. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not with hookers and blow. Those will always hold a certain value no matter how many or much more comes on the market. image >>

Well, I will agree with hookers, but the price history of blow says otherwise.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    As I have said from day one, there is barely any sealed sets left. The last sealed set on EBAY sold about a month ago for $1,050.

I know the guy who sold his sets to WCSports out in California.

There was a great thread I was reading earlier where a guy a pulled some very nice Jordan cards. You can buy sealed packs at a price for almost any modern sets.

A box of sealed Topps sold yesterday for $350 and you can find Hogan's all over the place in NM condition.

These don't exist. In time you will understand.

I have emailed with Dave from WC and trust me he realizes you can't find a Hogan in Gem Mint nor an Andre.

It is true that Flair in great condition is less rare then some in the set due to his postioning in the sealed sets.

In time as more cards are subbed the harder to find cards will stand out. You will see.

• Options
    Just got back from the GYM, already $800!!!

This could get very interesting folks if two more bidders show up.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Just got back from the GYM, already $800!!!

This could get very interesting folks if two more bidders show up. >>

Did you capitalize gym because you meant to type OBGYN? And, I don't think there's anyway the auction gets interesting.....
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't think so. A big '52 find will not make the Mantle worthless but an '82 Wrestling find will.
  • Options

<< <i>As I have said from day one, there is barely any sealed sets left. >>

How do you know this for fact? How do you know there are not 100 sealed sets sitting in a box in someone's garage? How do you know that these are not easily counterfeited?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think so. A big '52 find will not make the Mantle worthless but an '82 Wrestling find will. >>

Except that the 1952 Mantle is not considered rare.

A real life example would be, like 1977 Topps Mexican Football. A big find of these would crash the value, as part of the problem about being "rare", is that generally, there are few collectors, such as for the football cards noted.

However, a big 1952 Topps find could very well lower the value on all it's cards. It would not make them "worthless", but finding 1100 of the 1982 Wrestling All-Star sets in the original distrubuters estate would not make these "worthless" either.

The cards are highly overpriced, and do have a limited market, which is it's weakest point. 2 main sellers and 3-4 main buyers is hardly a market.
  • Options
    The guy who created the sets in 1982 sold all of the remaining stock to Brian at www.Wrestleprints.com, I bought his last Hogan and two awesome Andre cards.

I purchased a sealed set from a guy in Minn who had a number of them. He had them stored away becuase at the shows in the 1980's no body wanted them and he got insulted on the low ball offers. Last year he sold three of the ofur sets he had left. I bought his last one about 7 months ago.

There are less then 2000 of these sets made, I have done a ton of research on these and have a large collection. I tracked Norman Keitzer down in Minn as he was the editor of the Wrestling News where these came from. I will post some of the adds. You could only get them from one magazine. He got put out of business by Vince Jr. and had unsold magazines and undistributed cards laying around and sold them about five years ago.

When the next sealed set surfaces it will sell for huge money. You can find 83A sealed all over the place but the 82A and 82B good luck. Trust me.
  • Options

<< <i>The guy who created the sets in 1982 sold all of the remaining stock to Brian at www.Wrestleprints.com, I bought his last Hogan and two awesome Andre cards.

I purchased a sealed set from a guy in Minn who had a number of them. He had them stored away becuase at the shows in the 1980's no body wanted them and he got insulted on the low ball offers. Last year he sold three of the ofur sets he had left. I bought his last one about 7 months ago.

There are less then 2000 of these sets made, I have done a ton of research on these and have a large collection. I tracked Norman Keitzer down in Minn as he was the editor of the Wrestling News where these came from. I will post some of the adds. You could only get them from one magazine. He got put out of business by Vince Jr. and had unsold magazines and undistributed cards laying around and sold them about five years ago.

When the next sealed set surfaces it will sell for huge money. You can find 83A sealed all over the place but the 82A and 82B good luck. Trust me. >>

That's all I needed to read.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think so. A big '52 find will not make the Mantle worthless but an '82 Wrestling find will. >>

Except that the 1952 Mantle is not considered rare.

A real life example would be, like 1977 Topps Mexican Football. A big find of these would crash the value, as part of the problem about being "rare", is that generally, there are few collectors, such as for the football cards noted.

However, a big 1952 Topps find could very well lower the value on all it's cards. It would not make them "worthless", but finding 1100 of the 1982 Wrestling All-Star sets in the original distrubuters estate would not make these "worthless" either.

The cards are highly overpriced, and do have a limited market, which is it's weakest point. 2 main sellers and 3-4 main buyers is hardly a market. >>

very true, I see your point.
  • Options
    Is not your logic that there are less then 2000 sets made, based on the fact they didn't sell well? I thought we covered this illogical conclusion. "The guy that created the sets" did not print make 87 print runs to order on these cards. He would have printed them all at once.
  • Options

Here is how you coud buy these.
  • Options

If these pretty cheap sets were not selling, how did the guy afford a full page color ad every month?
  • Options
  • Options
    It was his magazine, that is how.

If anything he might have been losing money taking up a full page add.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Here is how you coud buy these. >>

Thanks for the pictures. One of the guys selling these keeps saying these sets were $50 back then and that's why they didn't sell but I knew that was BS as I had remembered seeing an ad at one time but couldn't find a pic.
  • Options
    That is the back cover of one of the mags. Here is the Hogan photo used in his card.

Iron Sheik pic used for his card.

• Options
    http://www.wrestleprints.com/zc/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=snmvrq0l564pqdlgnnokh22m60

When this dude sold out of Hogan and Andre is when the cards exploded. He was out of Flair and found this one. If you bought from him about a year or so ago you coud get really nice cards. Once more people found out about the site he ran through his good ones.

He bought the rights to all of the pics, magazines and cards from Norman Keitzer as I mentioned earlier.

There is no where else to find these on the web other then EBAY. Trust me I have tried and so have a few others.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the term heating up should be changed to oiled up for this thread.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is the back cover of one of the mags. Here is the Hogan photo used in his card.

I remember these cards being mixed up with garbage pail cards at our local shop in the 80's,seems
    like the guy had quit a few of these sets.You could buy them and get Kevin Sullivan's auto at the same
    flea market in Daytona Bch.
    Iron shiek cracks me up on Stern,talk about roid rage!

J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The guy who created the sets in 1982 sold all of the remaining stock to Brian at www.Wrestleprints.com, I bought his last Hogan and two awesome Andre cards.

When the next sealed set surfaces it will sell for huge money. You can find 83A sealed all over the place but the 82A and 82B good luck. Trust me. >>

That's all I needed to read. >>

Wow! Heck just froze over. I agree with Mullins.

The guy who CREATED the sets? Are you friggin serious?

This same seller happens to have an obviously unlimited supply of these in high grade when you told us they are rare in any grade higher than NM?

Wow! Please do a little research on Star basketball cards from the mid-80's.
  • Options
    Norman Keitzer has nothing to do with the wrestling business at all. He sold the remaining cards, magazines and photos to that company. Go check the site, he is out of the good stuff.

• Options

<< <i>Norman Keitzer has nothing to do with the wrestling business at all. He sold the remaining cards, magazines and photos to that company. Go check the site, he is out of the good stuff. >>

Again, please do a little research on Star basketball cards form the mid-80s. Same scenario except Star had cards of real athletes.
  • Options
    Bill,

Lets face it, it is killing you that there is another PSA 10 Ric Flair at $800 and it is not me. That is what is going on here.
  • Options

<< <i>Bill,

Lets face it, it is killing you that there is another PSA 10 Ric Flair at $800 and it is not me. That is what is going on here. >>

You are absolutely correct. I am ashamed I did not shill that one yet since I do not collect cards of non-athletes.

I can not wait until this time next year when these are selling for $10 in PSA 10 slabs.
  • Options

You seem to know a little bit too much about this to be taken seriously now.

• Options
    OT- but could WWF wraslin' be the gheyest thing in the closet?
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>OT- but could WWF wraslin' be the gheyest thing in the closet? >>

It appears you might be on to something...

• Options
    How did you get pic of DPecks gym workout from today?
  • Options
    I'd like to point out that saying anything is limited in the 80's and 90's isn't saying much. Especially in sets that sell for $5 each, it's hard for me to believe they produced only 2000 sets.
  • Options
    Bill there is no chance a PSA 10 will be selling for $10 any time soon for any semi star let alone a mega star.

These have a finish like no other card I own. I have a large baseball collection like most from the 80's. These do not have a glossy finish and have a very grainy finish almost like a painting. This will be impossible to counterfit. As for your Star comparison I have a Jordan reprint from Star and trust me a glossy finish like that with normal card stock would not be too difficult. These are larger, thicker paper stock and as stated before are not a smooth finish where the portrait is.

As for knowing too much to be taken seriously, that is just plain stupid. I would not have gotten interested in these a year and a half ago without doing a great deal of research. Much of my research was done to try and buy more cards off EBAY. I was succesful at that. I have spent a greal deal of time, money, and effort hunting for my cards. There is not one webiste that has any of these for sale so a great deal of time is needed to constantly aquire them. My time is more valuable then the money I have spent and I would not have invested as much if these were run of the mill. If I am going to put effort into something and financial resources I am going to do some research; period.

In 1982 a pack of Topps was $0.35, you got 15 cards, you could have bought 14.28 packs and gotten 214 cards vs 36 cards in one of these sets. In January of 1982 when these came out wrestling was no where near as popular as it was in 1984 and 1985. The reason these did not sell well was non major sports cards did not do well and the basbeball card boom was building a lot of steam.

If these are so comon in high grade, explain this, why is it that many have no PSA 10's and others I have the only PSA 10's graded? You can't becuase you know nothing about the cards. Just like many other older sets these have printing issues, centering issues, surface wrinkles and of course corner damage. If this set ever gets more interest from PSA Registry collectors the sky is the limit. Many BGS 9's have been selling for $100+, not even 10's. There has been very little PSA turn over becuase only a few dealers have gotten them graded and I own over 50% of the graded cards.

If you want to make the case that the 1985 Topps cards of plentiful and high prices cause packs to get opened and can increase the high grade population a great deal I would agree. These are different.

Bill you mentioned you earned less then $4 of EBAY bucks, have fun trying to sell your $4 Greg Maddox cards that get no bids. Jealousy is not attractive.
  • Options
    I know this is going to be difficult for you to understand, but please give it a shot.

Click on the link Jeff provided in the 1st post. Then go to each auction and check the bid history. Counting your bids, there are a total of 5 bidders for ALL of the cards listed. Most of the bids are from 2 bidders.

Common sense check, if there are only 5 guys out of the millions on eBay that actually want these cards, they are not that popular. A handful of guys jacking up the price because they are not smart enough to snipe does not make the cards valuable. What happens to the prices when 1 or 2 of these guys quit buying?
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    A friend of mine used to go to all the wrestling events and sell t shirts and other items.. she got to know the wrestlers and had that entire set autographed.. actually 2 of them.. all autographed in person..... she gave them to me.. any idea of value?? thanks
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know this is going to be difficult for you to understand, but please give it a shot.

Click on the link Jeff provided in the 1st post. Then go to each auction and check the bid history. Counting your bids, there are a total of 5 bidders for ALL of the cards listed. Most of the bids are from 2 bidders.

Common sense check, if there are only 5 guys out of the millions on eBay that actually want these cards, they are not that popular. A handful of guys jacking up the price because they are not smart enough to snipe does not make the cards valuable. What happens to the prices when 1 or 2 of these guys quit buying? >>

Wow - I don't know who the bidders are, but that is a great way to cost yourself some unnecessary coin on ebay - perhaps they are in it for the ebay bucks?
    pete
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    market value is approx eleventy-hundred, but Dpeck will pay you eleventy-thousand

<< <i>A friend of mine used to go to all the wrestling events and sell t shirts and other items.. she got to know the wrestlers and had that entire set autographed.. actually 2 of them.. all autographed in person..... she gave them to me.. any idea of value?? thanks >>

---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • Options
    Nice math.

I doubt he is telling the truth but if so the Andre The Giant, Brusier Brody and a few others would bring huge cash.

What is so amusing here is as Bill and others continue to say these cards are over valued and they keep getting more over valued.

Check out the PSA 8's and where the PSA 10's are now.

Bill get a better job and maybe you can afford to buy some nice cards instead of trying to peddle $4 cards with no luck.
  • Options

<< <i>What is so amusing here is as Bill and others continue to say these cards are over valued and they keep getting more over valued.

Check out the PSA 8's and where the PSA 10's are now.
    >>

Not nearly as amusing as you ignoring the fact that there are a total of 4 people in the entire world that keep bidding each other up. Oops! Forgot about that one other guy that always bids but never wins.

BTW, I make more than enough money to buy these cards. I just prefer to buy cards of athletes. I also prefer not to try and live vicariously through my siblings.
  • Options
    This is the first time I've heard someone say that poor quality cards are more difficult to reproduce.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These have a finish like no other card I own. I have a large baseball collection like most from the 80's. These do not have a glossy finish and have a very grainy finish almost like a painting. This will be impossible to counterfit. >>

Well guess the ones I have must be fakes because I compared them to some 82/83 Fleer and Donruss cards and the card stock is extremely similar. Mine also most certainly do have a gloss to them that is exactly like the mentioned cards do and the backs are also similar. Thickness of the card stock is a little thicker compared to the Donruss but pretty much the same compared to Fleer and Topps from the same years. I don't see the wrestling cards I own as having a finish almost like a painting. The grainy appearance is in my opinion just a low quality printing process (we are talking about $5 wrestling sets).

As for being impossible to counterfeit, well I am sure these could be counterfeited and whose to say they haven't been already.

And as far as 2,000 sets being made. Who knows? I do know that 2,000 isn't exactly rare and seeing how as has been pointed out before it's not like a lot of people are chasing these cards down. Are high grade ones rare? Well if your going to play the numbers game then 10's probably are harder to come by but isn't that a given in most cards anyway do to manufacturing, selling methods, storing, how they've been handled, etc.

In the end it really doesn't matter. They are interesting cards from a time when the sport of wrestling was certainly fun to watch (many good memories of watching these guys with my buddies) and if someone wants to pay these prices and can afford to push them up, well go to it and have fun because that's what the hobby is supposed to be about.
  • Options
    Wrestling thread + Dbag100 = Trainwreck!
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    is this a spoof thread?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I love this pic!! I love how he's wearing a full robe, but he has it parted just enough to show his package!!

WRESTLING RULES!!