Options

PSA 10 Wrestling All Stars Heating Up

13»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>100 >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a bidding strategy that works for me. If I over pay by a few bucks for a card I really want and win it, I really don't care.

I have a certain amount I am willing to bid at anytime for every single one of these cards and that is why I bid on most. >>

So why not just set the snipe at your max bid? If you win it, odds are you will win it for less than your max and you will not alert the seller or other bidders to your intentions of being a bidder on the card until it is too late for them to act.

Bidding your max has no bearing on whether the card is hot or not. If you are going to be outbid, it is best to be outbid by a snipe rather than by running numerous topping bids and alerting others that there is competition.

I've found that I've saved more by sniping. And also that I've won some "hot" items at prices less than one would've expected. >>

We have been telling him this for months but obviously common sense was not a class at Rollins.
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

When last 82A sealed sold for $1,050 the two top bidders had no wrestling bids. Same thing here. They outbid me by $450 becuase I had a floor at $600 and they obvioulsy felt a sense of urgency to get the cards. >>

Wouldn't that be your ceiling, not your floor?

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys make DPeck leave again I swear that I will find every single one of you.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

When last 82A sealed sold for $1,050 the two top bidders had no wrestling bids. Same thing here. They outbid me by $450 becuase I had a floor at $600 and they obvioulsy felt a sense of urgency to get the cards. >>

Wouldn't that be your ceiling, not your floor? >>

i think you guys found your answer....it appears to me that DPeck has been bidding upside-down.
  • Options
    I can't believe that Dpeck exposed the secret upside down bidding theory to everyone. I was so raking in the bids with that. Now, everyone will know about it.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    This guy's been doing it for years......

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny pic there.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Has no one set the poll up yet? Dpeck is a numbers guy and I want him to see how the votes shake out on his sniping theory...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Oh don't worry I am sure it will be 100 to 1 against me
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The poll is on like donkey kong, b*tches. Go check it out.

Dpeck- If you haven't been persuaded by the arguments posted so far, perhaps you will be persuaded by the mounting poll numbers that support sniping. I know you're a smart guy, so ask yourself this- Is it more likely that you are right and everyone else is wrong....or vice versa?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Ric Flair PSA 10 on the move!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Wrestling is fake. Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan are fake. Does anyone know another pair that are fake?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wrestling is fake. Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan are fake. Does anyone know another pair that are fake? >>

lmao
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wrestling is fake. Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan are fake. Does anyone know another pair that are fake? >>

The demand and the investment opportunity that are wrestling cards.
  • Options

Would this be the correct answer?

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Yep just like that.....
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    If you can touch them, they are not fake. just enhanced.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    The key words are if you can touch them, and lets face it he can't.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. Don't worry about the Hatters out there.

• Options
    Sniping was set up so you can place a bid without being there last minute.

If you place a max bid on an item that you are willing to pay, there is no need to snipe.

Only problem is you will have people bid up the item to see what your max is and make you pay it.

If you're willing to pay a certain price for something and it goes $2.00 below it, then all is well.

If you want to try to get something cheap, then throw a snipe bid at it.

I don't snipe, but I do throw up a max bid I'm willing to pay for an item on the last day, and I never overpay.
  • Options
    What a novel concept!!! You simply have to be willing to honor your bid and you are good. Big deal......
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    There is absolutely NO REASON that this thread should be delegated to Page 2 . . .

There, that's better!
  • Options
    Hogan PSA 8 really heating up big time. This is going to finish for a lot.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't snipe, but I do throw up a max bid I'm willing to pay for an item on the last day, and I never overpay. >>

True, but you could have paid less.

I understand what DPeck is saying (I think). His opinion is that since the set is hot (at the moment) and the item has only 2 known examples

it may be better to bid. One reason I can think of is if no one bids and the seller gets cold feet he may end the auction early figuring he

is going to lose on the auction, also, if he does not bid someone else might contact the seller and buy it offline, thus ending his chances

at getting the item himself. He has already stated that he understands the snipe concept, he simply is of the opinion that since it is a

rare item (rare meaning only 2 PSA 10's exist at the present) that sniping is NOT the strategy for him. He can correct me if I am wrong.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Only problem is you will have people bid up the item to see what your max is and make you pay it. >>

Only a loser would do such a thing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't snipe, but I do throw up a max bid I'm willing to pay for an item on the last day, and I never overpay. >>

True, but you could have paid less. >>

I agree with that. If you give your opponent time to think about his lower bid, he just might go higher than if he didn't see you coming.
  • Options
    According to Dpeck sniping does not work on any of the wrestling cards, because they are too rare.

Reportedly less then 2,000...although common sense should have anyone conclude he made more then that. You likely would not run a year of full page color ads, only sell a couple thousand $5 sets....and then make more sets.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Steve you hit the nail on the head. The auction process is meant to find the highest buyer for an item and give the seller a chance to realize a price hopefully higher then they would normally achieve. It is also meant to give all market participants a chance to win the item.

I have witnessed tons of auctions with out comes where the seller gets cold feet or the item is ended early and sold away from EBAY just like you mentioned.

My point is that when you have a rising market or at least a strong market it is hard to know who else wants the item. For instance the Hogan PSA 8 I mentioned is a fresh bidder I have never seen that has now taken the lead and he has bid on nine other items. What keeps happening with these cards is new buyers are stepping into the mix and they don't have any so they will pay a great deal more then me. I have for instance 16 Andre The Giant cards, unless a perfect one comes along someone else who doesn't have any may want it more then me.

I have always made it clear there are not thousands of buyers for these cards like Michael Jordan or some other mega star. What people have to realize though is that rare sports cards have elastic demand. In normal terms that means the price change is greater then the change in the number of items demanded. So if five new buyers step into the mix the price can soar for a rare item.

To win by a snipe you must accurately predict a price higher then anyone else. I like to bid and test out the market and see if people follow. If they do that means the item is going to go for a lot. If I am the top bidder within a few hours of the end of the auction I win a large number of those. The auctions where the snipe really comes in is when the auction gains steam throughout and the number of bidders expand as the price is rising and then it really pops at the end.

Look there are a lot of grey areas in this world. People approach things differently. I have never once tried to say that snipe bidders were stupid or wasting their time and so on. I can say with 100% certainty that every snipe bidder on any item I have bid on has paid much more then I would have. I would admit there may have been times I have paid more becuase I showed my hand as they would say but I enjoy the auction process and I like to see what other buyers are willing to pay to help me make a final decision on what I am willing to pay.

If this was a card with thousands of graded examples I am sure you could get it lower in some cases by coming in at the end. You just can't know with any level of certainty what others will bid for a nearly one of a kind item. None of us are that smart becuase human emotion is involved in not only the bidding leading up the last second but also the other snipe bids.
  • Options
    Like Dpeck said, if the item is indeed a rare one and it is hard to predict the market...and you REALLY want it, then 'guessing' your snipe, means you are risking missing out. If you are bidding on a 1982 cal ripken, that is not big deal, because there are a million more to choose from if you don't guess the snipe right. But if it is something you really want, his style may work to his goal. Plus you may scare a few bidders away by bidding harder early!

You could set a $10k snipe to assure you get it...but if somebody else has the same idea with their snipe...ouch!

Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    Saberman,

I have won a lot of items showing a strong hand early. They will never believe this but it is true. There are a lot of casual bidders who want only to win if it is a steal. Once they see someone else is serious they give up early. That does not happen to many of these anymore but it used to all the time. Every item is different and supply in the end is what rules.

If you don't think you can locate it easily again then the buyers in many cases will pay through the nose and unless you want to throw out a huge snipe as you say, no such luck.

The Hogan that went the other night for $410 had two snipe bidders, only one won the card and both bid more then twice what I did.

• Options

<< <i>To win by a snipe you must accurately predict a price higher then anyone else.

You just can't know with any level of certainty what others will bid for a nearly one of a kind item. None of us are that smart becuase human emotion is involved in not only the bidding leading up the last second but also the other snipe bids. >>

What others will eventually bid is not important with regard to what your ceiling is on any given card. If you have a ceiling, snipe it. If the item exceeds your ceiling, you wouldn't have bid more. If it doesn't reach your ceiling, you will almost certainly save at least one topping bid if not more. So, in winning via sniping, you can only save money. You won't lose anything. What is so hard to understand about this?

Example: If a 1948 Leaf #1 Sid Luckman in PSA 8 were offered for sale, and I was willing to spend $75,000 on it, I would set a snipe at that level. If the item exceeds that price point, my snipe will not be executed. If it does not, and my snipe is executed, I will win the item and the other bidder will not have the opportunity to top my bid or exceed my ceiling. This will save me at least one bidding increment (as much as 10% in some auctions)
  • Options
    Dpeck,

I understand what you mean.

As a side note, I never saw those wrestling cards before. Sometimes one gets sick of seeing all the same baseball cards over and over again, and those wrestling cards are actually like some 'fresh' meat. You almost have me interested in buying some. I think that fresh meat aspect could signal some sustained growth.

Some have been saying all along that your goal is exactly that(to promote and jack prices up)...and then some of the same people are questioning your smarts. LOL. It can't be both ways, because if that indeed was your goal, then it sure as heck worked...and your smarts are pretty darn good! Actually, bringing stuff to the forefront that many have never known to exist, is, or should be, a welcome thing in the collecting hobby.

By the way, beautiful wife...you guys look happy together too.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words.

I got tired of collecting baseball and basketball cards. I stumbled accross these about 18 months ago and when I got them in the mail I was hooked. I have done my research on these. I have nearly 1200 now of all three sets and trust me the high grade stuff is not out there. I get cards all the time that if graded would be a 4 or 5. Many raw cards on EBAY advertised as NM-MT would be lucky to get a 5 with a crease or heavily damaged corner and so on.

Once I bought a few sets and saw how hard these were to find in great condition I decided to take on the sets and build the best ones I could. If you have a moment go check the registry and you will see my sets. I have some very nice BGS cards too but I think PSA is a better grader so that is the direction I went for my submissions.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Only problem is you will have people bid up the item to see what your max is and make you pay it. >>

Only a loser would do such a thing.

Steve >>

Yes.

Hi Steve!
  • Options
    Stupid double post. I blame Steve.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    funny wrestling clip

I'm not a MMA fan but thought this was kind of funny, if not weird. Watch the Undertaker video, at first he seems disappointed that Lesner didn't win, then Lesner walks by and stares him down, so Undertaker calls him out (granted the guy just fought), then he seems a little shaken (or really pissed) about Lesner. Gotta say he's a interview professional though.
  • Options
    I did a search for wrestling threads to add a post to and I went back and read through this one and had to smile.

Anyway some new cards hit today on EBAY from 4SC. I have two comments. One I love seeing them get cards that grade a PSA 7. And two it is pretty wild how they have some of the cards priced.

This is one of the PSA 10's I need for my second set but I will pass on it at this price.

PSA10 Baron Von Raschke

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are some "healthy" prices that they are trying to achieve. "Interesting".
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I did a search for wrestling threads to add a post to and I went back and read through this one and had to smile.

Anyway some new cards hit today on EBAY from 4SC. I have two comments. One I love seeing them get cards that grade a PSA 7. And two it is pretty wild how they have some of the cards priced.

This is one of the PSA 10's I need for my second set but I will pass on it at this price.

PSA10 Baron Von Raschke >>

More and more often I am saying the same thing when looking on 4SC prices. Not quite vintagesnowmobiles yet but getting there.