Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1982 Wrestling All Stars auctions on EBAY

Hey guys I thought I would alert you to some nice BGS auctions of the 1982 Wrestling All Stars on EBAY. A FLair 9.5, Hogan 8.5, and an Andre 8.

Starting to catch a nice bid if you care to follow them.

Comments

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Ah hell. Not more wrastlin threads.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you guys would enjoy watching some explosive auctions. Or perhaps giving some bidding lessons while you are at it.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    RIC FLAIR SAID..................OH HELL NO
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • This is like deja vu all over again and stuff.

• << <i>This is like deja vu all over again and stuff. >>

This place has been such a ghost town I thought I would give you something to talk about.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This place has been such a ghost town I thought I would give you something to talk about. >>

Who are you, Bonnie Raitt?
    Nope, just thought you boys would like to see some auctions with real action. Search for Wrestling All Stars on EBAY and you will see the demand has not slowed a bit and instead has continued to pick up. In the recent issue of SMR they have started covering them a little and I have been told they will increase coverage over time. The population reports are starting to get much bigger which is a good sign.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope, just thought you boys would like to see some auctions with real action. Search for Wrestling All Stars on EBAY and you will see the demand has not slowed a bit and instead has continued to pick up. In the recent issue of SMR they have started covering them a little and I have been told they will increase coverage over time. The population reports are starting to get much bigger which is a good sign. >>

Bigger pops will result in lower prices. If we've learned anything, we've learned this to be true.

And don't tell me about their scarcity. Pops going up, even on scarce items, means prices drop. Ex: 1977 Topps Mexican Football.

I certainly would not disagree that if a certain card becomes more common in high graded prices are going down and it obvioulsy depends on how much supply comes online to know how much price damage will occurr.

The nice thing about a growing population is that it means there are more collectors getting them graded and the chance for others to want to put together sets increases a great deal. If this happens commons that are hard to find in high grade and other lower level cards go up in value.

If you look at the raw cards they are selling for prices similar to some of the cards you guys talk about on here.

<< <i>I certainly would not disagree that if a certain card becomes more common in high graded prices are going down and it obvioulsy depends on how much supply comes online to know how much price damage will occurr.

The nice thing about a growing population is that it means there are more collectors getting them graded and the chance for others to want to put together sets increases a great deal. If this happens commons that are hard to find in high grade and other lower level cards go up in value.

If you look at the raw cards they are selling for prices similar to some of the cards you guys talk about on here. >>

What's next? POGS? Comic books? Maybe Beanie Babies?

Yes, there's a market for wrestling cards, but that is a thin market that is currently being inflated by the typical lemming-like attitude of card dealers and collectors. The profit takers are doing the typical chumming for buyers, casting the bait and will churn and burn and leave the carcasses in the wake.
    So a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan has sold for $200,000. You think these prices are crazy for Hogan, Flair, and Andre???

There are less then 2000 of each of these and many estimates are drastically lower then that. You don't need anywhere near the number of people to want these cards for the prices to stay up.

I compare this set to the type of collector who collects Three Stooges cards. They are not a major sport and are still quite valuable.

You could only get this in a mail away. They were wrapped very tightly with cellophane. There are not a lot of these in legit high grade.

The real question here is if more collectors end up wanting the cards. There are severall key buyers who have shown up that are not traditional wrestling or non sport buyers.

If more start wanting these cards they will stay strong for a while.
  • Quick note version...Hogan, Flair, Andre equals Moe, Larry, Curly.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>So a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan has sold for $200,000. You think these prices are crazy for Hogan, Flair, and Andre???

There are less then 2000 of each of these and many estimates are drastically lower then that. You don't need anywhere near the number of people to want these cards for the prices to stay up.

I compare this set to the type of collector who collects Three Stooges cards. They are not a major sport and are still quite valuable.

You could only get this in a mail away. They were wrapped very tightly with cellophane. There are not a lot of these in legit high grade.

The real question here is if more collectors end up wanting the cards. There are severall key buyers who have shown up that are not traditional wrestling or non sport buyers.

If more start wanting these cards they will stay strong for a while. >>

Economics 101 . . .

And the person that bought that Jordan BGS 10, would lose at least $150,000 if he were to ever sell it. Sounds like great investment strategy. Again, revert to Economics 101...
    I happen to be an economist by trade.

The Jordan at $200,000 that is now worth $50,000 in your example raw is worth $1,000.

The 82A is a special set and over time you will realize. This set has stars from the 50's, 60's, 70's and the 80's in it.

There are a lot of people that have fond memories about a certain wrestler or wrestling in general.

There are tons of people that love Dick The Bruiser, or Terry Funk, The Chrusher, Bruiser Brody, and Dusty Rhodes. This set has almost everyone from the old school in it.

You can laugh all you want, that is how it started when a raw Hogan sold for $50.

<< <i>I happen to be an economist by trade.

The Jordan at $200,000 that is now worth $50,000 in your example raw is worth $1,000.

The 82A is a special set and over time you will realize. This set has stars from the 50's, 60's, 70's and the 80's in it.

There are a lot of people that have fond memories about a certain wrestler or wrestling in general.

There are tons of people that love Dick The Bruiser, or Terry Funk, The Chrusher, Bruiser Brody, and Dusty Rhodes. This set has almost everyone from the old school in it.

You can laugh all you want, that is how it started when a raw Hogan sold for $50. >>

Hype! And a series of suckers with more money than brains.

Congrats on being an economist by trade. You obviously should have enough background to comprehend unless your passion for the issue clouds your judgment.

Time will tell, but I'll say that the wrestling cards will fall by the wayside once their "dot com" hype session has run its course. Yes, they'll still have value, but noting matching what they are today (or may continue to run up to before they crash). It's all a game of "hot potato." Even a first year economic student should understand that.
  • First, there is a nice thread on the BST board to keep me entertained.

Second, the Jordan BGS 10 sold for $82,000

My understanding is there are two and I know for fact one sold for $200,000. The point was that at $705 for a Ric Flair is not that expensive.

• << <i>My understanding is there are two and I know for fact one sold for $200,000. The point was that at $705 for a Ric Flair is not that expensive. >>

Gonna need some proof on that one. I know for fact you are a douche and I at least have the pics to prove it.

The $705 Ric Flair is outrageous considering it will be worth about $15 in 2 years.
    That is a very amusing comment. Three Years ago a Ric Flair was $50 raw and today it has touched $200. The idea it will be $15 is laughable becuase I will buy everyone that exists at $15 in Gem MInt. Sorry you missed with this one.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I thought about getting some cards but this stuff is WAY to hot now. Now is the time to SELL this stuff and buy it back in a few years.
    I am always willing to part ways with most of my cards, but I wont sell any of these. I have a good amount of these cards and just want to keep them.

• << <i>I thought about getting some cards but this stuff is WAY to hot now. Now is the time to SELL this stuff and buy it back in a few years. >>

That's what everyone keeps telling him but he is an economic supergenius (please see my sigline).
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck100, you might want to buy them all so you can corner the market! Or at least the super stars. ; )
    I have a nice hand in these cards. After this next submission comes back I will have over 300 of the graded cards. I am still tying to add in certain cards and get my sets up.
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a nice hand in these cards. After this next submission comes back I will have over 300 of the graded cards. I am still tying to add in certain cards and get my sets up. >>

So you admit you are pretty much pumping the shiat out of these and manipulating the markets trying to build up some hype for some cards that 99% of us will never be interested in? When does the dumping start?
    There is no pumping, I am not selling any.

I am holding these for me for a long time. The fact that the price is going up has been exciting but I just like the cards. These are all portaits from stock photos that were original photos used in the magazine and these are just awesome cards. The finish is almost like a portrait. It is a very unique card.

I have long believed these cards were investment worthy and that is what I have been doing. I won't sell a single card and continue to try and buy when I like a card.

• How many cards were in that set?

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
    There are three sets. The 82A, 82B and 83A. 36 cards in each set, total of 108 in all three
  • you have 300 graded. How many raw?

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
    It is about 800. I have a ton of these.

I really like the cards as I have said. I had to buy a lot of cards to find one's submission worthy.

I am a very strickt card grader and these are tough. I have 15 Andre cards and still only have a hand full of nice ones. Soon people will realize these are crazy in 9 or better. I got a ton of 9 OC simply for the top to bottom.

They look stunning but they are a fraction of an inch lower and get an OC. This is going to be super tough to get a full mint set.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I happen to be an economist by trade.

Just curious. Do you work for the Obama administration?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Hell no!!!
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck,

PM sent regarding an 82 Hogan.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    The raw Hogan just sold for $809.
    The Andre The Giant sold for $253
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    OK
    You have a pile of wrestling cards and you really like them a lot
    I think we got that in your first thread
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I happen to be an economist by trade. >>

Shirley, you can't be serious.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• << <i>

<< <i>I happen to be an economist by trade. >>

Shirley, you can't be serious. >>

He didn't say he was an employed economist.
    Degree in economics with a minor in business

high level producing stock broker

I am not winning a nobel prize in economics but trust me I can hold my own, to manage large client accounts you have to be tied in very close to what is going on in the economy

So Bill did you see the results of the Hogan and the two guys blow each other up with snipe bids? That $809 number is pretty impressive.

Have you seen my brother's new shirt?

We're twins . . .
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Why do all the good threads get locked?

and these get left alone?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< high level producing stock broker >>>

Lemme guess - your advice to clients is "buy low, sell high" LOL

BTW: any stockbroker has no more clue about picking winners than anybody else - that is a fact.
    No one can time the market day to day with great long term acuracy

using macro themes is how you pick winners over the longer term

right now I am doing alot more bonds then stocks and using covered calls for my equity plays.

not a buy low sell high guy, I have not heard that term in a long time, anyone in the upper tiers of production are dealing with sophisticated clients and that kind of garbage advice does not work

• << <i>Degree in economics with a minor in business

high level producing stock broker >>

And OJ was innocent.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one can time the market day to day with great long term acuracy

right now I am doing alot more bonds then stocks and using covered calls for my equity plays.

not a buy low sell high guy, I have not heard that term in a long time, anyone in the upper tiers of production are dealing with sophisticated clients and that kind of garbage advice does not work >>

Actually, that is good advice giving credit where credit is due...as I think you implied, and if you didn't I will - day trading stocks is for suckers. Between the per trade fees and the bid-ask differentials of the stock price...day trading stocks will eat a bankroll alive sooner or later...just a question of when. That being said...I think there is some interesting long term value in the market especially with a new Congress soon to be elected which will definitely be pro-business. I believe there is a bright future ahead for stocks and collectibles.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No one can time the market day to day with great long term acuracy

not a buy low sell high guy, I have not heard that term in a long time, anyone in the upper tiers of production are dealing with sophisticated clients and that kind of garbage advice does not work >>

Yawn....
    Right out of the Series 7 study guide
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Could this be a smaller version of the classic 'Pump and Dump' stock scam?

Am I the only one sniffing an upcoming Muni-bond bubble burst?

Two bits of unsolicitited advise,1. Sell your Wrastlin cards now, the time is right! 2. Stay away from Muni's.

I really believe that you could sell some of your higher end 82's at a premium now and rebuy them later at a lower cost.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

• << <i>Two bits of unsolicitited advise,1. Sell your Wrastlin cards now, the time is right! 2. Stay away from Muni's.

I really believe that you could sell some of your higher end 82's at a premium now and rebuy them later at a lower cost. >>

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, on this forum has been telling him that for months. He thinks since 2 or 3 guys out of the billion on ebay are fighting over these cards that the long term investment is still there.

He reminds me of the dealers in 1989 and 1990 saying how they were going to hold on to their cases of 1989 Donruss until Griffey was ready to retire.