Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The best looking raw 1959 Proof Franklin (DCAM) I have ever seen is for sale on EBay.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just checked Franklin listings and saw this coin. Multiple high quality pictures of both sides of the coin show it off nicely. Why it was not slabbed before being listed I do not know.

A little over 1 day is left on the auction. Five bids for the coin so far, with $30.00 being the high bid. Of course the reserve on the coin has not been met yet (Duhhhhhhhhhhh).

I wonder what the high bid will turn out to be and I wonder if the reserve will be met [I suspect that the reserve is in the mid four figures and that it will not be met].

Comments

• Options
    Linkage? image
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Maybe someone with computer skills can post a link.

If not, just go to EBay coins and click to US/Halves/Franklins and search for "1959 Cameo". There are only a few listed and the one I mentioned just leaps of the page at you.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white balance is quite poor on the images, but the cameo does look very good.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomB says:

"but the cameo does look very good".

If the image of the coin is accurate, TomB is a master of the understatementimage
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid of monsters
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    White balance is way off.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it really look like what I edited?

• Options
    That coin sure does look like a monster coin.
    The shipping is kinda high though!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine! Everybody else should stay away. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    So now that this auction has been brought to the attention of the forums, does anyone think it will meet the reserve and actually sell?

I think that this coin was listed in a prior auction, with a reserve, and that it did not sell.

I still scratch my head as to why a coin of this quality and rarity would be auctioned raw. If it were slabbed by PCGS and received a DCAM grade it would be a much easier sell.
  • Options
    the feller that has this '59 up for auction sells many raw CAM/DCAM Franklins that he states he bought some 20 years ago ......... he has hada lot of dates he has sold raw.

I gotta think if he needs money - getting a coin like that slabbed , in his grade of PR-68 DCAM @ PCGS would net him tens of thousands of dollars .

Even a PR-67 DCAM is worth mega bucks
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin slabbed as a DCAM 68 would be very very easy to sell I imagine. Unslabbed....a bit more difficult. My guess is that it does not sell...although I will watch with interest.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    many of his Cameo Franklins have sold in the past , for strong money - but no where near what PCGS graded Cameo's bring
  • Options
    I have been looking for a raw 1959 half like the one pictured in the EBay auction for over 10 years. Never have found one.

The closest I came was finding a 1959 set in OGP that contained a 1959 half with obverse frost that is not quite as nice as the obverse frost on the pictured coin and reverse frost that is moderate/heavy at best. When I first saw the half in the set I saw the obverse. My pulse went up about 20 beats per minute and I turned the set over to look at the reverse hoping it had the same level of frost as the obverse. Alas, no such luck. I bought the set to get the half anyway and paid about $25.00 for the set.

That half is still my best 1959.

I have also found some other 1959 halves with moderate frost on both sides. Very nice coins, but not close to the two sided DCAM monster I would like to find.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am skeptical
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    No way PR68

I would say 62-63.

That scrape on the cheek is going to weigh heavily on the grade
  • Options
    Reserve has been met.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Wow....did the seller cut you in on the action becuase you single handedly made sure this coin hit the reserve image

To me it looks too good to be true but it may be just too good of an opportunity to pass up as well image

I say good luck to whoever wins it image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say 62-63. >>

Harsh.
  • Options
    Maybe my posting this thread gave the coin up for auction some "forum exposure" that resulted in a frenzy of bidding up to and beyond the seller's reserve.

The current bid is just under $400.00. I wonder how high the bidding will go during the remaining 10 hours of the auction. If the coin in hand looks like it does in the pictures, the winning bidder will have done very well, particularly if the coin sells below $1,000.00.

If anyone here on the forums wins the coin, let us know and post you own pics when you receive the coin.

Now as far as my commission goes..................................image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am bidding on this coin and plan on winning it. Thanks SanctionII.
  • Options
    there is a return policy. image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>White balance is way off. >>

image Some coins really need to be slabbed, this is one of them! I'm sure this is a nice coin, and a rare cameo, but why isn't this piece slabbed?image I agree with the McMorrisine who said " I'm afraid of monsters" especially when their not slabbed!! I don't know that this is a problem coin, but it makes me wonder.... But surely NOT a proof-68!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That coin will not be nearly as contrasted in-hand. Might be a cameo, but it is not a deep cameo.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    just an fyi: he sold one awhile back and it almost hit $1k at the end of the auction and apparently the buyer was satisfied according to the feedback.
  • Options
    130435430957 Check this one out!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>130435430957 Check this one out!!! >>

The obverse and reverse cameo images in that listing were stolen from R&I Coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Buying RAW proof Franklin half dollars from pictures on the internet is really dicey. A very delicate handling is required to keep this coin pristine, all it takes is one little scratch and this coin is toast!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>Buying RAW proof Franklin half dollars from pictures on the internet is really dicey. A very delicate handling is required to keep this coin pristine, all it takes is one little scratch and this coin is toast! >>

I agree, a seller can really make a raw coin look really nice! And even image a completey different coin and use it as the real deal.....
  • Options
    I do like the photograph anyway

as far as I am concerned, some coins are best by the pics I can download from the internet

must have a black background with angled lighting to get that pic

I am in the PCGS CAM camp - whats a 66 CAM worth?

and after checking my COINFACTS, the PCGS pic of a PR67 (no designationa at all)
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably just a cameo and a low grade at that.
    hes not stupid- if the coin was what he claims he would have it certified.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe my posting this thread gave the coin up for auction some "forum exposure" that resulted in a frenzy of bidding up to and beyond the seller's reserve.

The current bid is just under $400.00. I wonder how high the bidding will go during the remaining 10 hours of the auction. If the coin in hand looks like it does in the pictures, the winning bidder will have done very well, particularly if the coin sells below $1,000.00.

If anyone here on the forums wins the coin, let us know and post you own pics when you receive the coin.

Now as far as my commission goes..................................image >>

There is no maybe about it.
  • Options

<< <i>probably just a cameo and a low grade at that.
    hes not stupid- if the coin was what he claims he would have it certified. >>

image.....100% RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be a PR67 or PR68CAM based on those pics...
  • Options
    Proof coins can look real good in pics and once in hand those hair lines can just appear like magic. There is only 1 seller i trust for proof coins on ebay and that is jwcameo. He is always honest when selling raw proofs.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>probably just a cameo and a low grade at that.
    hes not stupid- if the coin was what he claims he would have it certified. >>

and with the others who have mentioned a coin like this being slabbed.

what could he get for a slabbed CAM MS64-5? and i do not know which TPG is toughest on these, if there is one.
    that might sway someone savvy to snatch it up??
    edit i see sinin1 asked this? already, sorry
  • Options
    I bid and got outbid a little later already today. Hey, there is a return policy. image
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    I buy lots of Franklins off of EBay and what I learned (the hard way) is
    most coins that are pictured using either filters or distorted settings that result in colored coins
    is intentional. The Franklins have a tendency to look unblemished using light that colorizes them.

In hand I found they are usually dissapointments.

There is no way I would invest this many dollars in a raw coin advertised
    intemntionally with a different color.

May want to think twice before bidding this one up.
    Coiny
  • Options
    This coin has garnered lots of attention, multiple bids on EBay and multiple posts to this thread.

Oh the excitementimage

I wonder how many bids and posts this coin will generate by the time the auction closes.

If a forumite wins the coin I hope they get a winner and that they post pics of same after the receive it.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin will not be nearly as contrasted in-hand. Might be a cameo, but it is not a deep cameo. >>

This comment from fellow board member Russ is enough to make me not bid on that coin. Russ has the best eye and feel for Franklin and Kennedy halves in CAM/DCAM than ANY other PCGS board member.
    I was going for the DCAM designation shot.
  • Options
    Interesting how this coin and this thread has drawn Russ out of the bushes to chime in.

He does not post much anymore [compared to years ago]. He must be busy with his net sales.
  • Options
    The coin was shot using very low light. This method forces the camera lens to focus on the lighter areas, (devices), at the expense of the darker areas, (fields). This results in enhanced contrast, and is also what accounts for the screwed up white balance.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    In 05, I won a PCGS DCAM 68 Frankie in a live internet ANR(now Stacks) auction for $500. It had no pics but it came with two other coins as well. That was my best rip ever-made $2500 in pure profit after I held for several years. I did snipe it at the last possible moment though and there were floor bidders and still the coin was totally ignored.
    Unless it is slabbed I will never buy raw on ebay.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin was shot using very low light. This method forces the camera lens to focus on the lighter areas, (devices), at the expense of the darker areas, (fields). This results in enhanced contrast, and is also what accounts for the screwed up white balance.

Russ, NCNE >>

I'm agreeing with Russ, it's a CAM at best.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW !!! image The bids on this proof frankie is higher than the cost of a 1950 proof set.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin was shot using very low light. This method forces the camera lens to focus on the lighter areas, (devices), at the expense of the darker areas, (fields). This results in enhanced contrast, and is also what accounts for the screwed up white balance.

my first impression was the "lampshade" technique, but i guess the result is close to the same with either method.
  • Options
    The last bid for $710.00 was made between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon PDT. None since then.

I wonder if anyone else will bid prior to the last minute of the auction?

Will anyone place snipe bids through a sniping program?

I wonder how many forumites have bid on the coin [29 bids, with multiple bids placed by more than one bidder so far]?

I wonder if comments contained in this thread have caused bidders to take a deep breath and think twice before bidding above $710.00?

Such "coin drama" being played out right before our eyes. Quick. someone should start a "You Tube" video clip on this "coin drama"; should tweet about this "coin drama" on Twitter; should post on Facebook walls about this "coin drama"; should pitch a Reality TV show about this "coin drama"; and should seek a guest appearance on Oprah about this "coin drama"image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It just doesn't make sense to sell it raw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file