Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are SAE's real coins....???

...are they real coins or are they Bullion or just ..Fantasy pieces...???..They aren't a circulated issue series ..so..just what are they..??
......Larry........image
«1

Comments

  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭
    NCLT, non-circulating legal tender.

    -Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are "collector" coins IF and only IF....they are burnished and display the 'W' mintmark!!!
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver eagles are real coins. It is legal to spend them at their face value of $1 if you wish to.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.

    image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna shop where you shop!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Yea they are real. I have a friend that works in a bank close to here and she says that she has seen about 10 or 15 come in at different times from business deposits
    COINHUNTER
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are nominally coins in that they are given a legal tender face value; however this is done for collector and marketing purposes. They are not intended to be used for commerce or exchange at face value because the face value they are given is far less than their bullion value, by design. When they are being used at face value, someone is losing a lot of money due to lack of knowledge

    So they are legal tender but not designed for commerce. Some definitions of "coin" require the item to be intended for commerce, so there has been some debate on this.
  • Options


    << <i> Some definitions of "coin" require the item to be intended for commerce, so there has been some debate on this.
    >>


    There hase been alot of that lately....!!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondering if you just want to start arguments/debates or are actually wondering.
    If the former, then I guess that is par for course for the forum in lately.
    If the latter, then they are coins sold based on bullion value, though, I think you know this already. As Paul says, they are NCLT (ie....their intrinsic bullion value is higher than the authorized denomination that they are issued as, and, as they put out by the USMint, and monetized, they are legal tender (ie....coins).

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    HotLink

    scroll down mid page, see TITLE II - LIBERTY COINS, by law, they are coins.
    Chat Board Lingo

    "Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    If a coin or paper money is not available originally at face, but only at a premium, then it is not real money (medium of excange) to me.
    This rules out practially all NCLT.
    But I am a little puzzled on how to treat escaped proof coins received in change at face.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If a coin or paper money is not available originally at face, but only at a premium, then it is not real money (medium of excange) to me.
    This rules out practially all NCLT.
    But I am a little puzzled on how to treat escaped proof coins received in change at face. >>

    For your reasoning, you can treat escaped proofs using your first definition and ask whether the proofs originally available at face value? I assume it would probably be good to use the general distribution method as opposed to special circumstances (e.g. escaping). Is there a reason that wouldn't work?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If a coin or paper money is not available originally at face, but only at a premium, then it is not real money (medium of excange) to me.
    This rules out practially all NCLT.
    But I am a little puzzled on how to treat escaped proof coins received in change at face. >>



    The neat thing about the hobby is that you can treat it how you want. By and large, however, most others WILL accept NCLT as coins.

    "Real money" to you, sounds like only coinage actually released into circulation. Not even proofs, much less "escaped" proofs, since proofs weren't released at "face value".
    So, you prefer to collect, and consider, only coinage released into circulation. More power to you image

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,786 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Some definitions of "coin" require the item to be intended for commerce, ........... >>



    So, I guess commemoratives aren't coins.image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think once the metal value far exceeds the denominated value at the time of issue, by intention, the piece is not a coin.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,786 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think once the metal value far exceeds the denominated value at the time of issue, by intention, the piece is not a coin. >>



    If it's issued by a government authority, it has a denomination, and it's legal tender by law, then it's a coin irrespective of its initial issue price.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Are SAE's real coins....??? >>

    Maybe your are confusing what is a coin and what is considered money?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As is evident in most pursuits, you are entitled to believe what you like, regardless of facts that belie such beliefs. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.

    image >>


    All The Time?? I would be curious as to what you mean as getting them all the time. I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe.
  • Options
    It is a bullion coin.
  • Options


    << <i>Wondering if you just want to start arguments/debates or are actually wondering.
    If the former, then I guess that is par for course for the forum in lately.
    If the latter, then they are coins sold based on bullion value, though, I think you know this already. As Paul says, they are NCLT (ie....their intrinsic bullion value is higher than the authorized denomination that they are issued as, and, as they put out by the USMint, and monetized, they are legal tender (ie....coins). >>


    I think you answered my question and the answer to the entire Debate......they are Monetized which is the key word..
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps a duel with loaded pistols at 10 paces would settle this question.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.


    All The Time?? I would be curious as to what you mean as getting them all the time. I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. >>



    ...i was wondering when this question would be asked. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Perhaps a duel with loaded pistols at 10 paces would settle this question. >>

    Yes, but are dueling pistol considered real pistols?imageimage
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,524 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Some definitions of "coin" require the item to be intended for commerce, ........... >>



    So, I guess commemoratives aren't coins.image >>

    Boo-ya!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.



    The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,524 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.

    image >>


    All The Time?? I would be curious as to what you mean as getting them all the time. I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. >>

    I think he's just showing folks his pocket piece.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.



    The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Medium of exchange" is not the only defining characteristic of coins. There is also "store of value."

    Bullion coins such as American Eagles are clearly stores of value, but not (as a practical matter) mediums of exchange.

    Circulating coins are clearly mediums of exchange, but not typically stores of value (although in these inflationary times cents and nickels partially qualify).

  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.

    image >>


    All The Time?? I would be curious as to what you mean as getting them all the time. I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. >>

    I think he's just showing folks his pocket piece. >>



    Guess that just flew over my head. lol Thanks!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>"Medium of exchange" is not the only defining characteristic of coins. There is also "store of value."

    Bullion coins such as American Eagles are clearly stores of value, but not (as a practical matter) mediums of exchange.

    Circulating coins are clearly mediums of exchange, but not typically stores of value (although in these inflationary times cents and nickels partially qualify). >>

    Gold bars are also stores of value.

    As mentioned above, ASE's are legally considered coins in the US. How collectors consider them seems to differ.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,280 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.

    image >>


    All The Time?? I would be curious as to what you mean as getting them all the time. I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. >>

    I think he's just showing folks his pocket piece. >>



    Guess that just flew over my head. lol Thanks! >>



    i think you had it right the first time bsshog. thats the way it read. maybe just a typo
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If silver were ever to drop below $1 they would very quickly become "spending coins." So yes, they are coins.

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    Bullion coin....but still a coin
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,524 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Receive these in my change all the time, of course they're real image
    Still weighs 31.1 grams.

    image >>


    All The Time?? I would be curious as to what you mean as getting them all the time. I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. >>

    I think he's just showing folks his pocket piece. >>



    Guess that just flew over my head. lol Thanks! >>



    i think you had it right the first time bsshog. thats the way it read. maybe just a typo >>

    Actually, I was going to expound upon the appearance of the coin since "pocket wear" gets imparted with what the Silver Eagle is displaying. Lots of hits and nicks where it looks like metal is being pushed around but not a lot of actual wear. I've obververed the same appearance with some 40% Silver Ikes and to a lessor degree with the Copper Nickel clad coins due to the hardness of the alloy.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.



    The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    Eagles are, by definition, tokens. Tokens are a symbol or facsimile of a coin but not used in commerce that can, but not necessarily, be made by private industry but can also be produced by governments. Although these "tokens" are monetized, they are not used in commerce, hence they would have to be tokens.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,786 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Eagles are, by definition, tokens. Tokens are a symbol or facsimile of a coin but not used in commerce that can, but not necessarily, be made by private industry but can also be produced by governments. Although these "tokens" are monetized, they are not used in commerce, hence they would have to be tokens. >>



    ASE = Legal tender = coin
    token = NOT legal tender = Not a coin
    Therefore, ASE = NOT a token


    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>ASE = Legal tender = coin
    token = NOT legal tender = Not a coin
    Therefore, ASE = NOT a token >>


    If you give one away, couldn't it be considered a token of your esteem? image

  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804 ✭
    I am willing to pay ONE THOUSAND PERCENT more than face for every one you wish to ship to me. C.O.D.s cheerfully accepted. image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I think he's just showing folks his pocket piece.>>

    You nailed it 19Lyds, my 6 pocket pieces go everywhere I go, never leave home without emimage

    image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is an ASE a real coin? i dunno... is Pluto a real planet? Is a virus alive or not? (the biological kind, not the computer kind. )

    Am I a Real Conservative, a Real Liberal, or a Real Moderate? trying to decide which label to categorize some of this stuff keeps me up at night...


    not.

    An ASE is what it is. humans are free to percieve it in whatever way pleases them (or challenges them, or makes them angry, or baffles them)

    damn, now I've wasted another two of my precious minutes. and you've wasted the seconds you spent reading this. I apologize.

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    I always have my '99 with me.

    I wonder, has anyone ever tried to pay for a coffee or burger with ASE's? What kind of response do you think you'd get? I think the majority of businesses would NOT except them. JMO
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I always have my '99 with me.

    I wonder, has anyone ever tried to pay for a coffee or burger with ASE's? What kind of response do you think you'd get? I think the majority of businesses would NOT except them. JMO >>

    Try it and let us know how it works! image
  • Options
    correction... acceptimage
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they are TONED they are...... at least this person thinks so (That Braddict sure likes them red ones) TONED
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>When they are TONED they are...... at least this person thinks so (That Braddict sure likes them red ones) TONED >>

    Anyone know how to get colors like that? I've been wondering this for a while since there seem to be a lot of ASEs with strong colors.

    I also think there's a certain amount of symmetry that both Morgan and ASE dollars tone with monster colors.

    image
  • Options


    << <i>

    ASE = Legal tender = coin
    token = NOT legal tender = Not a coin
    Therefore, ASE = NOT a token >>



    ASE's are monetized, I'll give you that, but they're certainly NOT legal tender. Legal tender is a item used for all debts, public and private. ASE's are not used for debts nor are they used in commerce, they are anything BUT a coin, therefore, they must be tokens.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>When they are TONED they are...... at least this person thinks so (That Braddict sure likes them red ones) TONED >>

    Anyone know how to get colors like that? I've been wondering this for a while since there seem to be a lot of ASEs with strong colors.

    I also think there's a certain amount of symmetry that both Morgan and ASE dollars tone with monster colors.

    image >>




    I dunno, but since this one sold for 1009.00 perhaps some folks are working on a duplicate?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>ASE's are monetized, I'll give you that, but they're certainly NOT legal tender. Legal tender is a item used for all debts, public and private. ASE's are not used for debts nor are they used in commerce, they are anything BUT a coin, therefore, they must be tokens. >>


    Pre-1965 silver dimes, quarters, halves and dollars are not used for debts nor are they used in commerce, they are anything BUT a coin, therefore, they must be tokens.

  • Options
    Juicy Juice...

    But I'm sure Pat Accepts Returns...

    My Ebay Auctions

    Currently Listed: Nothing

    Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Can't say NO loud enough!!!!!
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408 ✭
    I guess ASEs are legally/technically coins by definition but I consider American Silver Eagles just nice collectibles much like Precious Moments Figurines and Pogs.
    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file