Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876 Double Eagle on Necklace Bezel. Paid $10

mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was at a yard sale a few hours ago and a guy had an 1876 Double in a Necklace Bezel. It was heavily polished and grades VG/F12 on detail alone. So, I saw the jewelry/coin at his table and I figured this guy was gonna say it was like $1000. So I asked him and he said $10. I'm thinking about going to a jewelers to have it weighed and tested for gold. See pics:

Obverse

Reverse

Comments

  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    if its real maybe go back and give him a little more.......???
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

    Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>if its real maybe go back and give him a little more.......??? >>



    I took is business card, so if it turns out to be real I would make sure to do that.

    Thanks for the pics
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Why, is it very valuable.......sorry for the gold content not the numismatic content ....i got it nowimage >>



    yeah, an UNC. piece is almost an ounce of gold, but in this VG/F condition, I would suspect it has 3/4 of an ounce. (if its real)
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    great to hear that you would go back and give him a little more if its real. Keep us updated image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

    Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... but not sure it is real... of course, the picture is not really good enough. I hope it is real... good luck. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". H.L. Mencken
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that much extreme wear and polish, I doubt that coin could ever be authenticated. Hopefully it's made of 900 fine gold so it's worth at least melt value.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Less than face! image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is OK to rip a dealer, but not OK to rip a collector?
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    I got the same coin and bezel in a box at an auction....turned out to be a fake so check it
  • Options
    that doesn't look real to me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file