Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oregon Trail Commemorative

Is there a preferred collectible year or mint mark for the OTC? I didn't realize they were minted with some many dates.

John
Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1933D would appear to be the most valued specimen - first commemorative struck at the Denver mint. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The 1933D would appear to be the most valued specimen - first commemorative struck at the Denver mint. Cheers, RickO >>



    The 28-P and 34-D are also better dates, personally I also like the 36-S which isn't seen very often.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options


    Heck I like the coin maybe best of all. Has a real story behind it as do most of
    Early Commemoratives. The making of America Commemoratives are our True
    History. Any year is fine with me. I may just start putting that set together.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    I don't think this is a "preferred year" but I like it anyhow.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

    How about the 1939 P, D, and S?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For type, I would get a 1937-D. They usually have booming luster, and nice ones with original skin can be had at very good prices in MS65 and MS66.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Is there a preferred collectible year or mint mark for the OTC? I didn't realize they were minted with some many dates.

    John >>

    If you're looking for one, don't worry about what date it is - let the coin come to you, based on how it looks.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its something to work for isint it image. a so called short set
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>image

    I don't think this is a "preferred year" but I like it anyhow. >>




    Based on how it looks I'd let that coin come to me lcoopie. image

    (hat tip to cg1)

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>image

    I don't think this is a "preferred year" but I like it anyhow. >>




    Based on how it looks I'd let that coin come to me lcoopie. image

    (hat tip to cg1) >>

    That's what I was talking about. If/when you see a coin like that, if it is priced reasonably, who cares what date it is? image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you get for bang for your money with 37-D. Most come nice. However, with Oregons you can be patient and just grab the best piece regardless of year or mint mark when in rolls around. JMHO. MJ

    image

    image
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Man Mj..What a great lookin coin!
    Oregon Trails are sure are pretty..
    Nothing like the coinage of today.
    Bruce
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Trail comes through the last few acres of my ranch on the north. Actually labeled on the 7.5 and 15 Minute Maps as "Oregon/California Trail". Man, what fun just strolling down those two-tracks now thinking about how that would be taking a wagon over the brush up to the saddle, then down the other side to what is now (near) Evanston, WY.

    I have started to put together a full set of Oregons. Have about half the issues. Looking for original skin . . . that 'pewter' look they come with so often when un-messed with. Before I die I want to take a full set up there on the Trail and get a photo . . .when done, I'll post.

    Great commem . . . .

    Drunner
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Is there a preferred collectible year or mint mark for the OTC? I didn't realize they were minted with some many dates.

    John >>

    If you're looking for one, don't worry about what date it is - let the coin come to you, based on how it looks. >>

    image

    The most interesting Oregons have a great look to them. Go for the look, not the date / mm.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW nice. Here is one of mine not as nice as yours.



    imageimage


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭
    The very first commem of any kind that I bought was a 1928 Oregon. That was around 1980. If I ever see that baby again.
  • Options
    Todd brought out the color in these.
    image
    image
    image
    image
    image
  • Options
    I also agree with MJ that's it's nice to have a toned reverse. What's cooler that a rainbow covered wagon staring at you!
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭✭
    I just look for ones I like. Here's a tab toner in a rattler:

    image


    ==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades



    Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I dont own one, as far as classic commem's go, its a must have. I really love the design. Wish the mint would resurrect it on the dollar coin.
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    The only 2 of my Oregons that I have a picture.

    Ron

    image


    image
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I also agree with MJ that's it's nice to have a toned reverse. What's cooler that a rainbow covered wagon staring at you! >>



    Hello my friend! Here's your pic and welcome to the boards dude............. MJ

    image
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a '26P "matte proof" (NGC holder?) that's appeared in auction more than once.

    Being present, my impression was that it didn't sell. Having inspected it, I was quite confused at to why the strike was weak and wasn't crazy about the "look", but few if any of the few other matte proofs have the "look" other than the clearly official Hawaiian issues.

    The rest is OT.

    The Columbians are brilliants. I've seen more than one '93 that many, as do I, believe is a proof, but the services take Swiatek's stance that only one '93 was made and Tony has scholarship on his side.

    Many disagree about current attributions of Isabellas

    BTW Breen's attributions of various proof and/or specimen commems hold little to no currency among many current aficionados/experts.

    Rumor has it the Stacks' Baltimore sale will have two Boone matte proofs. The proof classic commems should be a separate thread. There are more. Mr. Sinnock sure had fun. What I have to say about the holdered Sesqui $2 1/2 may be legally actionable.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Is there a preferred collectible year or mint mark for the OTC? I didn't realize they were minted with some many dates.

    John >>

    If you're looking for one, don't worry about what date it is - let the coin come to you, based on how it looks. >>



    Yes, buy the coin not the date and mint mark. Most commemorative coin type collectors (looking to do a 50 piece set) don't care about the rarity as much as they do the eye appeal. In fact they would prefer to buy a nice looking coin for less, than a more expensive scarcer date.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per BillJ's advice, image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think you get for bang for your money with 37-D. Most come nice. However, with Oregons you can be patient and just grab the best piece regardless of year or mint mark when in rolls around. JMHO. MJ

    image

    image >>



    Hey MJ, that is one super duper piece you have there, show off!! Love the color and the strike is over the top!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I liked the skin on this one .Out of focusimage
    image
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Mine's not as nice as some of the great ones in this thread but I still like it.

    image
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, some nice toning in this thread
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're into die varieties ALL specimens of the 1933-D and 1934-D show Class II multiple hubbings (at least a quad die) on HALF DOLLAR and USA on the obverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file