Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1961 5C Jefferson.........grade opinions please

No steps but not bad I believe...............thanks in advance.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Not my series but im gonna say a 64.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-64 I was just looking at some rolls, image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 66 obverse, 65 reverse.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Often Jefferson's hair by his ear is not fully struck up." is what Bern Nagengast mentions numerous times from the Analyst concern the strikes from 1960 and up. Your coin is a typical example of this plus what appears to be a flat area on the cheek. I have two examples of this date pictured in the lower link for comparison. I can't grade it since the strike is incomplete.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

Leo,

I see what you mean about the hair on the ear, I have some other ones that are not as mark free from the same rolls that are better struck, I will try to post some of them here, thanks everyone for the opinions......
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as Leo said, the hair near the ear is the last portion of the die to fill. not only is that detail weak, the hair in the center of the portrait is also flat/unstruck as is the bottom of the Monticello. i see a very weak strike, the marks are unstruck planchet flaws.....................MS64 tops and that's hopeful/possible only because of the smoothness of the fields.
  • Options

<< <i>Leo,

I see what you mean about the hair on the ear, I have some other ones that are not as mark free from the same rolls that are better struck, I will try to post some of them here, thanks everyone for the opinions...... >>

The problems associated with the 1960's are difficult to avoid. It has taken me a few years to find 3 full quality examples with steps. One example not pictured with the other two has a few nasty hits on the cheek and steps but along with it's bold strike the planchet is PL. If I enjoy the eye appeal of a coin, this is usually the reason why it's a part of my collection. Same goes for your coin. I still have my very first 1961 coin but have since upgraded it.

Happy hunting,

Leo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63+..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To most of us this looks like an MS-64, but I've been surprised and disappointed with some of the certified modern coins I've seen. It seems like it doesn't take much to make MS-65. If you realy want a "nice one," you need to spring for an MS-66 or 67. At least that's what I saw when I looked at the certified State Quarters that some dealers were offering.

When it comes to modern Proof coins (from the 1930s and '40s), I've rarely seen one in less than PR-66 that pleased me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sumadora, I looked through rolls of early 60's Jeffs and that is a nice one. If the date was 1941 it might go 64, but I believe that PCGS will grade this one a 65. Nice find. Shag
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>as Leo said, the hair near the ear is the last portion of the die to fill. not only is that detail weak, the hair in the center of the portrait is also flat/unstruck as is the bottom of the Monticello. i see a very weak strike, the marks are unstruck planchet flaws.....................MS64 tops and that's hopeful/possible only because of the smoothness of the fields. >>

Keets said everything I was going to say, the marks on the cheek and jaw were on the planchet before the strike, they are still there because the strike was too weak to obliterate them. Technically I'd grade it a 64 but if the luster is strong and knowing it's from a year where weak strikes are the rule rather than the exception I could see it in a 65 holder.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    not gem...

my 2cents:

obverse: flat hair detail, incomplete planchet flow to high points- cheek and jaw bones... nice fields
    reverse: too much chatter on monticello entry above steps... chatter in upper fields...

agree, ms-64
  • Options
    MS65. Gotta watch the field above the dome of the Monticello. Looks like there's some chatter there on this coin that would hold it back from the coveted MS66. I've seen chatter above the Monticello spoil many otherwise high grade Jefferson Nickels from this era.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>not gem...

my 2cents:

obverse: flat hair detail, incomplete planchet flow to high points- cheek and jaw bones... nice fields
    reverse: too much chatter on monticello entry above steps... chatter in upper fields...

agree, ms-64 >>

Here's another with the same problems but with a deeper strike. A 3rd example that I have along with the PCGS MS65 and MS63. There's more ear and hair but with an ever so slightly flat cheek. Flatness can also be seen in the mid section of the hair. Nice steps can be seen on this one which helps fill out the strike.
    Like I've said, for many of the dates from 1946 and up, the grade/condition must be sacrificed if you want a coin with a full detailed strike. Coins that are mark free with a lot of luster are far more common than coins with a full strike. Combine the age of the master hubs and the very hard copper-nickel alloy, as the years progressed towards 1970, very few of those early strikes that came off those first working dies would escape the minting process mark free.

Leo

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    65 at best. Too much chatter on the reverse to go higher.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I'll say 65. Is it a roll find?
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one I had graded 3 or 4 months ago.

imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Ricc,

I like that one better and eventually, you will too. You have got to look past those marks and appreciate the strike. The survival rate for those early strikes in high grade are seldom encountered, IMO. This is the reason why the FS designation should be given to many dates with 4 steps and there are a few dates that are difficult to locate with 3 steps. But the strike must be full before receiving any designation.

Leo

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    MS65 Full Step!

That is a complete step right! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Leo hit it on the head- BN has alot of useful info in his Jefferson Nickel Analyst

did I mention I love these threadsimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

I haven't got the grade back yet on my 1961 Jefferson I sent up this week, but I have hope it will do well. Perhaps my pictures aren't as good, but hopefully you can see the quality well enough to see what you think.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

The coin above is a proof. Totally different.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

PR65

Leo ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 7:23PM

You sent that in? Oh well, consider it tuition.

Also, feel free to start your own threads instead of resurrecting 9 year old ones. ;)

• Options

I did start a new one, and thanks. Not a proof, it comes from the Philadelphia mint. But thanks I think, I'm very new, its actually my first submission, so forgive the newbie

• Options

Yeah. for the life of me, I can't remember what coin I was talking about 12 posts back.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    I did start a new one, and thanks. Not a proof, it comes from the Philadelphia mint. But thanks I think, I'm very new, its actually my first submission, so forgive the newbie

Proofs of that era were struck in Philadelphia....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file