Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Ikes in rattlers rare??

mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all, I stopped by a coin store locally and saw a Ike dollar in the old pcgs rattler holder. Are these rare? I've seen morgans and other coins in rattlers but not Ikes before.
It was a 1973S in PR67.

Thanks!
Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No not rare image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image with you Broadstruck.
    I own about 3 Ikes in rattlers.

mkman123....They are desirable though and usually sell real quick if the priced right. If you can buy it cheap, it could be a quick flip on the PCGS BST.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Proof and silver Ikes in rattler holders are not rare.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prior to Coinstar folks felt like sticking their Ike's in something! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prior to Coinstar folks felt like sticking their Ike's in something! image >>

Ouch!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    speaking of coinstar,you know I have never seen one...that mean i,m rural?
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>speaking of coinstar,you know I have never seen one...that mean i,m rural? >>

If you have to ask if you are rural....then you probably are rural.imageimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no rare anything with the ikes that i know of image
  • Options
    NPONPO Posts: 31 ✭✭

If anyone has any Rattler Ikes to offer I would be happy to have the opportunity to purchase them.
    Thanks,
    Nathan

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broadstruck probably won't be looking for them , for you. Unless maybe he saw an opportunity to seize, a decade ago, which I highly doubt. I'm not certain we will ever see one with a CAC sticker, either. Though times change.

Nobody's shown me one, yet.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NPO said:
    If anyone has any Rattler Ikes to offer I would be happy to have the opportunity to purchase them.
    Thanks,
    Nathan

They pop up on ebay semi-regularly. I've bought four there this year already.

Of note, they're usually the 40% variety.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not rare at all but they do have a following.
    If you buy it as stated above, list it on BST.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

I collected PCGS certified Ikes in the early 1990's. I remember few, if any, ms clad Ike's in rattlers. I owned several ms 40% coins. In the age of rattlers, minimum PCGS cert fee was $30. Clad coinage was dissed by the vast majority of dealers. PCGS began "modern service" in the early 1990's with $10 cert fee. I started submitting clad Ike's through an authorized dealer friend and owned a complete set and dupes in PCGs gen 3 holders.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WTCG said:

So then, would anything but a Blue or Brown Ike be rare in a rattler?

thefinn
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 11:45AM

I don’t think it would be super common. It was long before the advent of the PCGS Registry. I don’t think the coins carried much premium back then and there was little incentive to slab them in large numbers.

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 12:46PM

Not rare, but to get an Ike without the DCAM or CAM designation you need to find them in rattlers.
    I have completed the set in all designations (56 Coins) and it was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.
    Here is a link to my set.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/cameo-proofs/rjps-ike-dollar-ms-proof-cam-dcam-pcgs-coin-number-set/2281
    The set took 6 years to put together.

Bob

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 1:27PM

@bob48 said:
    Not rare, but to get an Ike without the DCAM or CAM designation you need to find them in rattlers.
    I have completed the set in all designations (56 Coins) and it was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.
    Here is a link to my set.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/cameo-proofs/rjps-ike-dollar-ms-proof-cam-dcam-pcgs-coin-number-set/2281
    The set took 6 years to put together.

That is a cool set for sure! The time to capture all of these in the wild is tough.
    Here is a possible "upgrade" you might find interesting (available on eBay right now... NOT my coin. . .)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/294172994903?hash=item447e13ad57:g:lX0AAOSwa-tgkstD

I won this auction a couple of weeks ago. I'm always a fan of these older PCGS slabbed Ikes:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334070778244?hash=item4dc82b8984:g:RJ0AAOSwVNtg6IAE&amp;nma=true&amp;si=jsaW%2BkCsB7E38oKtD8IyYIYXlsk%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

peacockcoins

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@WTCG said:

So then, would anything but a Blue or Brown Ike be rare in a rattler?

For the most part, yes.
    Most of the rattler Ikes will be 73-S proofs and 73-S UNC's.
    The proofs probably outnumber the UNC's 3-1 from what I have seen out there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file