Home U.S. Coin Forum

Removing Gunk... Question for the board

OK, I've got a common date, circ Morgan, grading between VF and XF. Lots of black gunk in the devices. Not a valuable coin by any stretch. Being anal retentive, I can not bring myself to not figure out the VAM attribution; however, the gunk makes it very difficult. Ruled out any valuable VAMs; the ones left as possibilities are all R3, I1/2 VAMs.

I know that acetone is good for soaking off the gunk, but I do not have any and really don't want to buy any to have in the house given that I've got very young kids. Given the fact that this coin is essentially worth melt anyway, would there be any harm in using something like Goo-Gone to remove the gunk? Would that even work and would it damage the coin?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a good coin to experment with!
    Good Luck
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you'd want to be sure that "Goo-Gone" or whatever evaporates 100%.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot soapy water and some cotton balls.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's coin doctoring!!!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I've tried very hot soapy water and got nowhere. Since I usually don't pick up coins with this type of gunk, I never really had to deal with this. This coin was a freebee. Still, I don't want to screw it up by using something that will replace one problem with another.

Perry: No this is not coin doctoring... the MS63 details whizzed Morgan that I've had sitting wrapped up in a Taco Bell napkin since last October is coin doctoring.... guess I should try to remember where I put that and see what happened to that puppy.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perry was joking.

you could always go the acetone route, and donate the extra acetone to a local painter.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Nail polish remover? junk silver anyway.

<< <i>Perry was joking. >>

You are correct. That's why I had a winky there.image

I know Perry was joking... my comment about my little TBN experiment was mostly tongue in cheek. I still need to figure out where the heck I put that puppy... its probably an ugly black by now!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not try MS-70 ? It is far more effective than a mild dishwashing detergent.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I also was going to suggest using some of the household nail polish remover (watered down acetone). BTW, the winky was too far down to be considered, something like below the fold in a newspaper.imageimage.
    Paul
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the black gunk is residue from tape adhesive, or is active PVC, a strong surfactant such as MS-70 will be much more effective for removal of the grime/gunk you have described.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the acetone and when you are done, send it to a painter or hobbyist with a workshop and no kids. Cheers, RickO
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use acetone and store it safely. It's not difficult. Kids are great but you can't live your life without carving knives, paint, and drain cleaner. Get some childproof locks for cabinet doors and drawers.
    Lance.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    if you have a lawnmower, try gasoline and Q-tip type things with wooden sticks (or cotton ball with something that won't dissolve in gas)
    gasoline has coloring in it.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you don't want to buy acetone, and it may not work well anyway for heavy "gunk" ... here's a few household items you might have that will (or could) work

General cleaning ammonia ... I do know this works as I have experimented

Okay, now I've never tried this one, but I believe it will work based on some conversations I've had ... lighter fluid

Finally, I've never tried this one either, but heard a couple guys talking about it ... simple green

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

<< <i>Okay, now I've never tried this one, but I believe it will work based on some conversations I've had ... lighter fluid >>

Are you saying that he could burn all the gunk off? It might also create some colorful toning.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that he could burn all the gunk off? It might also create some colorful toning.

LOL ... oh my ...

no, all of these are for soaking in ...

regular grocery-store grade "sudsy lemon amonia" is the best I have ever used for removing "gunk"

I typically do not soak coins in anything other than acetone however, if neccessary

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
    Thanks, all!
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    WD-40! Good for most anything ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>WD-40! Good for most anything ! ! ! image

HH >>

No,no,no..Windeximage
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to know the nature of the gunk. Is it entrenched in the design details not to be budged by a soak? If so, get a rose thorn and use that to clean the gunk from said nooks and/or crannies. This is best done under magnification (stereoscope if you have one), and you'll need to wipe the gunk off the thorn frequently to keep the loosened gunk from scratching the coin.

Of course, seeing the WD-40 quip made me wonder if duct tape could be used to rip the gunk from the depths of the coin kind of like those pore cleansing strips. After using the duct tape, you can use WD-40 to clean off the residue.
    I'd be afraid the tape would leave glue residue and further gunk up the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file