Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

That was quick ... Friday night's NEWP ... an 1897-S Barber Quarter

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
I really didn't have to think about this one very long.

As those who collect the series know, this date is elusive. For me it has been impossible until now. I have never had a chance to own one in the grade I wanted ... at any price. I just don't see them for sale. It was the right grade, had a good look and wasn't priced to the moon and beyond (actually, I felt it was reasonably priced for the grade and issue). It took me a few minutes to process what I was seeing.

A rare case where I was at the right place at the right time ... and when I saw it, I knew it would be right ... and I could afford to pick her up. A perfect strom so to speak.

I'm glad I pulled the trigger image

The color is a little off becuase I can never make white plastic show the colors right with my point and shoot. It's close. Surfaces are very nice ... just a few whispy's. The luster is nice for the grade, and the strike is outstanding.

What do you think?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! I also like the feeling of knowing you beat everyone else to the market for a great coin! image
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin! 58???
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a beast of an issue.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    Since you did everything but tell us the grade ..........

I will guess VF-35 image
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beauty.
  • Options
    Since you did everything but tell us the grade ..........

I will guess VF-35 image

I think you need to sell me all of your VF35 quarters, right now! image ... heck, if they are good matches for this one I'll even pay strong EF-40 money image

on that note, if we want to play guess the grade ... have at it ... it's in an NGC holder ...

I'll check back a little later

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice au55
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    o.k , o.k .......i thought that low grade would get you to post the true grade ..........

I say MS 63
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only peculiar thing about this coin to me is how far to the rt. of center the mint mark is located. I've never seen one this far off center before.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The position of the mintmark is fine for the 1897-S Barber quarter; it is the center mintmark that is quite scarce for this issue.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Todd - I commented elsewhere - but I have to congratulate you
    on even finding this coin - let alone be able to actually purchase it.

Great job !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That mm position is quite far right and I've never noticed them like that before on any S mint Barber quarter. Learn something new every day.

Coin is no less than AU58+ and does look mint state. The issue gets easier the higher up you go. MS63's and up can be found somewhat readily. But in the Fine to AU range the issue seems quite underrated.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Tom. Almost all mintmarked Barber Quarters I've seen have the mm either centered or slightly to the rt. This is a tough date and I haven't seen many of them. However, almost all of the S mint Barber Quarters I've seen have a mm described as stated in my first sentence.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this coin is MS 63.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread ... that was power nap after dinner if there ever was one. Actually we'll have to call it a full night's sleep because I'm awake, and won't have time to get back to bed now.

First, thank you all for the comments.

For those who collect the series, and can not afford the big three in any grade approaching this coin, this is probably the one.

I would say it is one of the next big three definitely. It has a low mintage for the series at just 542,229 pieces, making it 5th overall. It is rarely seen at all, much less above F/VF, and is estimated to be an R7 in this grade.

Am I happy? You bet I am! This is what it's all about. This is why we continue to look and search and hope that the next table, page, search, call ... will produce a coin that has eluded us. A coin that we know we want, and that we can purchase, and can afford to keep.

Next, a quick address of Mintmark positions for the Barber Quarters in the early years.

In the issues of 1892, the MM can be found directly above the "R" and mostly centered under the tail-feathers. This is the only year that has that MM position (as far as I know), however there is a 1893-O position that is much more like this position than any other. It is not centered under the tail, but is still partially over the "R".

Between 1893 and 1895, the MM position varies between two basic positions. The "far right mintmark" (above the "D"), and what is most commonly seen on all issues thereafter (except for the 97-S) being between the "R" and "D". This is often then considered the "normal" position, however for the years of 1893-1895 that is not truly the case.

The degrees to which the MM is centered between the "R" and "D" and what is "far right" also varies. My experience suggests that the San Francisco issues are more common "far right", and even "far-far right" (almost touching the arrows), especially for the 1894-S and 1895-S issues. The New Orleans issues are more of a toss-up, with both general positions seen.

In 1896 then, all MM's are "normal" with the "far right" only returning for the 1897-S (as far as I know). As TomB mentioned, the 1897-S is more common with the MM to the "far right". I have not seen one, but a "normal" MM position does exist for the 97-S.

Now, the find. Honestly a stroke of luck (as is often the case).

Last Friday night I ran some eBay searches about 6pm Pacific. This coin came up. It had been listed about six hours earlier with a BIN price.

As I originally stated, it took me a few minutes to process what I was seeing.

The coin looked good and was encapsulated by NGC, in the last version of holder prior to the "prongs". The pictures were good and showed the things I needed to see (obviously pictures can lie, but I recognized the seller as one who has straight-up pictures). The strike, the mintmark type and position, the luster, the surfaces ... it all looked good.

The price was right. Actually, as I also stated earlier, the price was low in my estimation. On that note, if this was any other issue the price was on the range of 10-15% back of FMV retail (as per my extensive spreadsheet), just right to move it. On this issue, I do not believe the price guides fully reflect the rarity, and so I would suggest it was lower than that, and would not have been priced as such had a Dealer more familiar with the series and the issue offered it for sale.

It may have went moon-money in a real auction.

I looked at the pictures seven times, and acted within five minutes.

And oh, did I want to post what was coming last weekend!!

But I wanted to have her in hand first.

The seller shipped Saturday morning, and it was with some surprise that the coin arrived at the PO yesterday (Tuesday). With errands to run Wednesday (new tires and a brake job, some bank business, etc), I swung by to pick her up, and shortly thereafter posted her here. Then I had to get back to working.

Okay, now the condition and the grade.

In my opinion, the coin grades middle AU58. No more no less. There is some slight rub on the cheek. There are some telltale signs of handling and the lightest of circulation on the cheek and in the right obverse fields.

She has very nice luster (for an AU), a great strike and no major distractions whatsoever. Her color is such that I do suspect she was dipped once.

Currently she resides in NGC AU55 plastic. She won't for long. She has a date, naked, with the other album girls.

And that's the story. Thanks for letting me share image

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Todd,

Congratulations on a great coin pick up. It makes it even sweeter that you are so oviously happy, maybe even estactic with the coin.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

That's one Dansco Album I'd like to see !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    That's one Dansco Album I'd like to see !!!

Actually, the collection is in a few Wayte Raymond boards. One of these days I'll take a pciture of the boards and show them on the big Barber thread. I know I always loved the updates on your Dansco Dime Album!

Thanks again for all the comments ... I am bumping this up for one pass by the weekend crowd and because I recieved my copy of the Numismatist yesterday, and low and behold there was a small article about the "Wandering Mintmarks" for Barber Quarters. It was a good quick read, and quite appropriate for my purchase ... looks like my post above was pretty accurate based on the authors finding as well, which is a nice plus for me as my experience is not as great as his.

Also, since I'm taking the floor ... with all the comments about fakes recently, and because I think at least one poster was initially concerned that my purchase may not have been right ...

As much as I think that PCGS and NGC have to figure out a way to foil the slab counterfieters, we as a community need to continue to educate ourselves as to what is genuine and what isn't ... starting with the coin. Diagnostics such as mintmark types and placements, much like lettering and device types and placements on earlier federal coinage has become more and more important in authentation.

I don't want the hobby and the marketplace to revert to a point where in-hand inspections by qualified authenticators are required for a purchase, or be ruined altogether by the counterfieters. It's very counter-productive to what PCGS and NGC established over the last 20 years. However, due to the money involved for the coins many of us buy, and the greed of criminals and unscrupulous entites around the country and the globe ... we had all better strive to be better at knowing an genuine coin when whe see it ... and knowing a fake as well.

To me this is much more important than real coins in fake slabs. After all, if we truely are buying the coin instead of the plastic ... at least we'll still have a real coin.

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Varieties: Two far right mint mark positions were identified in the First Edition. A third, in the center, has since been found. I have only seen one high grade specimen (a cleaned AU) of this die (plate coin). An EF has been reported to me."
    http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index.php/reference-books/the-complete-guide-to-barber-quarters/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file