Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Please help me fight cancer and win a Lance Armstrong auto! *Hit $3K! jeffcbay is the winner*

Friends of CU:

Formal letter is below but an added and EXCLUSIVE benefit for members of CU. For each person that donates, I'll put their name into a randomizer (or whatever it's called) for this prize:

Please note: This is not the book I personally saw autographed at Mellow Johnny's. After the signing, MJ had a couple extras for sale, which is where this came from. So while I cannot absolutely, positively state that it's 100% authentic, I can say that I have absolutely, positively 100% faith in it's authenticity. I will ship it Priority, in the MJ bag, with bubble wrap. EDITED TO CLARIFY - Mellow Johnny's is Lance Armstrong's bike shop in Austin -> MJ's website

RULES: You can donate as many times as you want but only one entry per person for the book. Minimum donation is $5, which is less than a value meal at McDonald's. While bribery is highly encouraged, it won't make a difference with your odds of winning. I'll post a video of the drawing on youtube or something comparable so everyone knows this is completely legit. (edited to add new "rule") - If you put up an item to intice a donation, you're automatically entered into the drawing.

Anyway, if you make a donation, please let me know so I can add your name/alias to the following list. If you rather send a check, please PM me for a pledge form since I'm unable to attach it here.

Note: If you donated and don't see your name below, PLEASE contact me and I apologize in advance for missing it.

DONATIONS FROM CU MEMEBERS

1) Nightcrawler
2) soflphillyfan
3) WinPitcher
4) Jmhockey23
5) MeteoriteGuy
6) HeritageAddict
7) zep33
8) pdub1819
9) dontippet
10) jeffcbay
11) goose3
12) Autos4Alex
13) msohn
14) morgoth
15) thunderdan
16) daddymc
17) tugboat2648

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Family and Friends,

I hope all is well.

This is my second LIVESTRONG Challenge (http://austin2010.livestrong.org/barryslsc) and will ride the 90-mile route, one of Lance's favorite local training rides, through the "Texas Hill Country" of West Austin.

I've joined Team LIVESTRONG because after fighting cancer for years, both of my Grandfathers lost their lives to this deadly disease. This year, cancer became the number one cause of death on this planet and one in three people will be diagnosed with cancer during their lifetime. Today, an estimated 28 MILLION people are battling this disease and they need our help. Corporate philanthropy has been significantly reduced and non-profit foundations are counting on generous individual donations to make a difference.

My 2010 fundraising goal is $3,000 after we successfully raised $3,132 last year. As my previous supporters know, your participation does not end with a generous donation. I send updates before/during/after the ride so you can be a part of this amazing experience without breaking a sweat. For a sample, please feel free to visit my photobucket from last year's ride:

Photobucket Link

Please consider helping a cause very close to my heart. To donate, please visit my personal webpage:

http://austin2010.livestrong.org/barryslsc

I greatly appreciate your time and support.

Sincerely,

Barry (aka stown)
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I made a donation of $30 recently to this cause. In return, I was ridiculed by the OP. Very poor experience indeed!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    How about I offer this to the next board member to donate $30?

A cool 5x7 Whitaker auto with a rare nickname signature. (Terrible scan...not sure I let that make it).

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'll be that board member. Send it to the first tiger fan that PM's you.

Barry Pm me the info.

Steve

Never mind Barry lol I see the link. Damn dyslexia.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks Steve and Mark!

As for gecko's claim, I'll glady set the record straight. He and Bill made an agreement for the Wilt auto, which Bill decided afterward not to destroy. I offered gecko a FULL refund, out of my pocket and even though I had nothing to do with it, which he declined several times. I gave him some grief because rather than easily putting any issues aside for a good cause, he decided to take the low road.

So yeah, he had a bad experience due to his own actions.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol that's the donation he is talking about? Figures.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>I made a donation of $30 recently to this cause. In return, I was ridiculed by the OP. Very poor experience indeed! >>

Gecko is a d-bag. He's just upset that someone pointed out that he's a cancer on this site and is too dumb to realize that the cancer that Barry's worthwhile cause is fighting isn't cancerous d-bags like gecko.

I also donated to this very worthy cause and it was a very fulfilling experience.

Again, gecko is a d-bag.

Now go help Barry fight cancer.
  • Options
    Nice...thx Steve.

How about I try one more....any Phillie fans? A rare Paul Owens signature....card size. I had this priced at $59.99 on eBay and it had like 20 watchers. I think it is around $49.99 in my CU store. I will go $30 on this one as well.

Former professional baseball front office executive and manager Paul Francis Owens was born February 7, 1924 in Salamanca, New York. Owens attended St. Bonaventure and served in World War II as an Army sergeant in an engineering company. He spent over 40 years in the Philadelphia Phillies organization as a player, manager, scout, and General Manager. He was the General Manager for two National League Championship, including the first Phillies team ever to win a World Series (1980). General Manager from early June 1972 though the end of 1984, he twice (1972; 1983-84) added the title of field manager to his job description. In 1983 he took the managerial reins of the Phillies in midyear and led them to their fourth pennant, but lost to the Baltimore Orioles in the 1983 World Series. Owens signed and helped develop some of the team's major stars of the 1970's and 1980's, including the Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt, Bob Boone and Greg Luzinski. Paul Owens passed away December 26, 2003 in Woodbury, New Jersey after a lengthy illness. The Phillies have honored him by creating the annual Paul Owens award, first awarded in 1986, for the best player and pitcher in their minor league system.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I made a donation of $30 recently to this cause. In return, I was ridiculed by the OP. Very poor experience indeed! >>

Gecko is a d-bag. He's just upset that someone pointed out that he's a cancer on this site and is too dumb to realize that the cancer that Barry's worthwhile cause is fighting isn't cancerous d-bags like gecko.

I also donated to this very worthy cause and it was a very fulfilling experience.

Again, gecko is a d-bag.

Now go help Barry fight cancer. >>

Christmas babies rockimage
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

Now pardon me while I go to my spin class.

What?!? Don't look at me like that!!

Just so y'all know, I use a bike in the back. That way, I get a great view of the ladies' back sides.

• Options

You were awarded DBOTW in return so take the honor and quit complaining.

If it bothers you so much then cough up some more bucks.

I gave $100.

How big are you now?

Put your money where your hose is.
  • Options
    Donation sent! Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you Jmhockey for your generous donation.

Also, please note that I'm adding a new "rule". Due to Mark's generosity, if you put up an item to intice a donation, you're entered into the book drawing as well.

• Options
    Next person to donate $20 or more gets this Bobby Doerr custom cut auto.

• Options
    Mucho gracias!

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'll donate $20 for the Bobby Doerr - then I'll have a matching pair image

• Options
    And the next $20 donation becomes the proud owner of this:

• Options
    Who's the man?!?

Thank you, Zep!
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    $20 to the cause. Good luck on your goal!
  • Options
    Thank you very much, pdub1819!

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    Donation made! Thank you for organizing this! Come on guys, let's keep this going.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Barry, I want to thank you for doing so much in the fight against cancer. It's really awesome to see everyone come together like this for such a worthy cause.

As some of you might remember, earlier this year my Uncle WON a two year battle against colon and kidney cancer. At one point (November 2008) the doctors had decided to stop treatment because they felt his body wouldn't take any more chemotherapy, and they placed him under Hospice care at home. At that point he was down under 90 lbs (he was normally about 160 lbs). That November I went to visit him in Maryland because I felt it would be the last time I would see him. During that visit, he not only promised he would get better, but he also said he would make the trip to Ohio for my wedding the following February. Not only did he make the trip to my wedding on February 14, 2009, but he also continued to kick cancer's ass that year and as of February 4, 2010 he is officially cancer free! He even got to hold his very first granddaughter on May 11, 2010!

imageimage

I got to visit my Uncle along with the rest of my family in Maryland during my trip to the National this month. He didn't realize I was into sports memorabilia so much, and he said he would send me some old autographs that he had acquired over the years. They arrived last week, here is his letter:

He sent me the following items, along with a couple other items that were signed "To Roger" that I plan to keep. One of the personalized autos is an 8x10 of Bowie Kuhn, former MLB Commissioner! The only autograph that I don't think is authentic is a signed picture of Earl Weaver (not pictured). The rest look good to me.

Anyway, I would like to donate these autographed photos to the cause. I know it's not that much, but it's something, and my Uncle would be very proud if these items went towards raising money for a cure. He is currently doing his own fund raising for a walk on September 19th. By the way, I am only posting that link to show his efforts, I do not want to take donations away from Barry.

I have no way of knowing if these are authentic, without sending them to PSA/DNA. I feel all of these that I'm listing are authentic, but I would love to hear anyone else's comments or concerns.

I'm not looking for a ton of money for these, but I would love to see these pull at least a TOTAL of $100 for Barry's fund.

Please post which photo you would like (first come/first served) and PM me with your address. I will ship them to you (no extra shipping charge).

Roger Staubach - 5" x 6-1/2"
    Signed in pen, looks authentic in comparison PSA/DNA sigs online.

Earl Campbell - 8" x 10"
    Signed in pen, looks authentic in comparison PSA/DNA sigs online.

Steve Grogan - 3-3/4" x 5-3/4"
    Signed in sharpie, I have nothing to compare it to.

Pete Rose - 3-1/4" x 5-1/2"
    Signed in blue thin sharpie. It looks real, and it reflects in the light like it's real. That's all the proof I have.

Johnny Bench - 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" postcard
    Signed in black thin sharpie. Here is one just like it that's signed in a different area. Looks real in person.

Don Baylor - 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" postcard
    Signed in blue marker, appears to be real.

Benny Ayala - 3-1/2" x 5-1/4"
    Signed in blue pen, appears to be real.

Ken Singleton - 3-1/2" x 5-1/4"
    Signed in black pen, appears to be real.

This post took me over two hours to put together, so I'm going to bed now. Thank you for reading! image
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Great post Jeff, a victory for your uncle and a kind donation. image

Dibs on the Steve Grogan. image
  • Options
    From the letter and photos, your uncle appears to be a pretty cool family member, Jeff.

Thanks for the post you BFCRC (or whatever the correct acronym is). image

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    Thank you Don for your donation!

Jeff - Great news about your uncle and thank you so much for putting up those items! I remember you discussing him in last year's LSC thread. Cancer is a pretty effed up disease. My grandfather on my father's side lived less than 1.5 years after he was first diagnosed. The doctors thought they had it under control but it went from his stomach and spread quickly.

On the other hand, my grandfather on my mother's side was first diagnosed with colon cancer. Within a couple months it spread throughout his entire body and doctors gave him about a 10% survival rate. Against all odds, he finally lost his fight with cancer 35 years later.

LIVESTRONG!
  • Options
    Page 1!
  • Options

Wow, this is really going well. Cheers guys. image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Stown...

PM me with your name and address.

Our 9 year old Katie actually saves some of her money to donate for cancer, etc. She shows the intelligence and compassion of a mature adult at times. She's a great kid. She keeps 2 separate monies in her room. One for her and one for donating.

Anywho, I told her about this and she said she will donate! LOL. I will toss something in too.

Short story, my Father in law was diagnosed with a tumor last June, the week before father's day. He went in for surgery that Monday. yep, Cancer. He died 12/09/09. It has been VERY hard on my wife. I let her take a leave from work and basically live with him for the last 3 months of his life and take care of him. The kids have handled it a lot better but our Katie is the sensitive one. About once a week she'll be in her bed crying about grandpa.

Just wanted you to know why she gives. Here's a pic of them from Father's Day 2009.

• Options
    Goose,

PM sent and thank you for sharing your story. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

• Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Hey great cause! I put in $25 for your fundraising. My Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a few years back, went through all the treatments and has won the battle! It was pretty rough treatment though and I'm all for supporting better cures/treatments.

I might be interested in riding as well. When/How far is this ride? Is there a minimum fundraising requirement? I did the MS-150 a few months back with ease though I haven't been training much since then. How does this ride compare?

Thanks!
    Alex
  • Options

<< <i>Hey great cause! I put in $25 for your fundraising. My Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a few years back, went through all the treatments and has won the battle! It was pretty rough treatment though and I'm all for supporting better cures/treatments.

I might be interested in riding as well. When/How far is this ride? Is there a minimum fundraising requirement? I did the MS-150 a few months back with ease though I haven't been training much since then. How does this ride compare?

Thanks!
    Alex >>

Alex,

Thank you so much for your generous donation and great news about your mom.

As for the ride, you can still register here. $50 entry and $250 minimum donation. Rides range from 10 miles to 90. Congrats on the MS150! I rode with the Saint Arnold team, good times. The 90 miler is like Day 2 of the MS150 and going through the park, but on steroids. If you haven't rode since, I would strongly suggest you get on your bike post haste.

For example, I went out today and rode 74 miles in 4:20

• Options

These autos are still available to anyone who wants to donate! Alex, did you want any of these?

Earl Campbell - 8" x 10"
  • Options
    Supporter list updated.

With a couple of checks received yesterday, my fundraising is currently at $1,850!

A huge thank you to those who donated.
  • Options
    Jeff,

I have interest in a few of the photos. Since I have interest in more than one, let's wait and see if they help spark anyone else's interest first. I'll post back in a few days to bump the thread back up if they are still available.

Thanks!
    Alex
  • Options
    Sounds good, Alex.

Do we have any more takers? I'll be in COLUMBUS tomorrow for some football game or something, but I'll be back on here Friday to answer any PMs.
  • Options
    So, I have a spin class this morning. Crawl out of bed and check my crackberry to see someone made a dontation. The generic emails only show the person's name, not a donation amount. I was unfamiliar with the individual and since I was still 3/4 asleep, went to grab some coffee (from Juan Peltoa image ). Turned on the TV, computer, and slowly started to wake up. Logged onto LIVESTRONG and noticed my fundrasing jumped. Couldn't believe what I saw, so scratched my eyes and looked again. My sleepy eyes were not deceiving me, it really did get a healthy bump.

Friends of CU, msohn is a very generous person and I cannot put into words how much I appreciate this board's support.

Thank you!!

• Options
    Great to see everyone giving so generously. Keep it up guys

Got my card in today from Doran -and he threw in a couple of his other custom cards of some old Red Sox scrub. So Glad he ended up with the Yankees. He never would have amounted to anything in Boston

These cards are so amazing. The quality is fantastic:

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Bump to help Barry fight cancer and gecko is a d-bag.

Carry on.
  • Options
    Happy Labor Day Weekend! Last official get drunk at the lake holiday.

For the next $25 (or more) donation...

• Options
    Thank you so much guys and list updated.

Just as a reminder, if you donated and don't see your name above, please let me know.

Thanks again!

• Options
    With 6 weeks to go, I'm only $200 away from hitting $3,000.

Edited because it's really early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet image
  • Options
    Great news!!

I woke up this morning to find out I was out of coffee - hate when that happens

Just ran out and got one from Dunkin Donuts though image
  • Options
    Woohoo! $3,000!

To everyone that donated, thank you so much for your generosity.

While I still encourage donations (every dollar counts), I'm going to close the contest on Sep 30th. Please let me know if you made a donation but don't see your name listed.

Thanks again!

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I lost two of my grandparents to cancer, so I definitely appreciate your passion for the cause.

I chipped in a few bucks.

Live (and Ride) Strong, Barry!

• Options
    Thank you so much for your generous donation, Dan. I sincerely appreciate it.

• Options

Great work Barry, and good goin everyone. image
  • Options
    Jeff, I will take the Earl Campbell if no one else is interested in it. I will pm you my address.

Thanks!
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Just made a donation Barry in honor of my mother who was diagnosed with breast cancer just a few months ago and is still recovering from surgery. Sounds like she is going to be fine. Luckily they caught it in the early stages.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Thank you so much! Early detection is the key, glad to hear she's being treated and wishing you and your family the best.

• Options
    daddymc, would you like one of my autos for your donation? Here is what's left:

Let me know, thanks!