Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What would you do?

As a collector I have also been on the selling side of the table a few times. Most recently at the Chantilly show in early March of this year. In one of my cases was a 1968 Ryan Rookie psa 8 (nice one well centered) that i purchased on Ebay5-6 years ago. Being that I might do 1 show a year this cards get seen by the public 5-6 times since I have owned it. Lots of interest in the card every show with several dealers looking at it wondering if it would bump up. Had offers but none at the price I was trying to get for it. Since the market had soften some on the 68s and my customer offered me about what I paid figured sell and move on. (Now it gets good) So at the National this year my customer takes the card to PSA trying to get the bump and they tell him the case has been tamped with the card inside looks suspicious, they take pictures of the card in the holder then crack it out and tell him the card has been altered the case had been cracked and more than likely the card had been switched. I talk to PSA they tell me it is a problem that has happened before where people are able to crack cases switch cards and glue them back so you cant tell. So now the buyer wants full refund on the card, giving me the card back(OF course with out holder PSA confiscated that) Not one dealer over the years that looked at the card noticed any problem Including myself Yet the buyer seems like an honest guy. What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    wow - tough one...

this is the kinda stuff you cant make up...

dont know what I would do...

I would question why he "let" PSA keep the holder...

it is not their property...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    do you have before and after scans?
  • Options
    Sadly 5 or 6 years ago there were a couple of sellers on Ebay that were very good at exchanging cards within the holders. It is very possible you got that card from one of them.
  • Options
    will try to post the Email pic Psa sent me of the card before they took it out of the case.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough situation. Unfortunately you will probably have to provide a refund. You said they took pictures. No one noticed anything before with multiple dealers looking at the card? I would like to see the pictures from PSA. Have you asked for pictures? Your customer may have switched the card. Was this a non paypal transaction?

This could actually involve some legal advice from an attorney.

My advice would be to get the pictures from PSA and if the holder tampering is obvious then your customer did it and then get legal advice.
  • Options
    Not an Ebay case was sold at the show will try to post photos Psa took may take a bit it on my email trying to get it to attach file not working so well.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Can you find the original purchase in your paypal account? I'm curious who the seller was.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    You're stuck
    You'll have to refund his $, and PSA won't do anything for you in terms of compensation, and of course they shouldn't cuz it's an altered slab

I'm wondering how PSA knew with absolute certainty that the slab was tampered with, especially if no one else noticed anything strange with it over the years? We've seen real slabs that are a little frosty or have marks on the edge, doesn't always indicate tampering. PSA had to be pretty damn certain to ruin someone's $1000. What if they cracked the slab and found the card was a genuine, unaltered 8?
  • Options
    so PSA said the Ryan was real, just not gradable because of EOT ect ect?
    I would say if you know the buyer and believe him to be honest, a refund is in order.
    sorry, this happened to you.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Legally you do not have to refund the money.

The buyer could have switched the card.

The buyer also assumed the risk of the bump. Every time you bring a card to PSA for review the owner risks this sort of thing.

A refund is up to you, but you are not legally obligated to give him the money back.

Patrick
  • Options
    PSA claimed it was a problem they had seen before , and yes the card was real they said it looked like it had been altered, and they supposedly new their was a problem before they took the card out. wish I could find a quick way to post pic might take a bit. Also card was purchased by me on the Bay about 5-6 years ago out of Texas I believe. I dont think EBAY has records kept that last that long. (could be wrong let me know if true). Case looked normal to everyone that saw it.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA claimed it was a problem they had seen before , and yes the card was real they said it looked like it had been altered, and they supposedly new their was a problem before they took the card out. wish I could find a quick way to post pic might take a bit. Also card was purchased by me on the Bay about 5-6 years ago out of Texas I believe. I dont think EBAY has records kept that last that long. (could be wrong let me know if true). Case looked normal to everyone that saw it. >>

Check your paypal records, maybe they go back that far?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What if they cracked the slab and found the card was a genuine, unaltered 8? >>

My guess is that they would re slab it. Using the same cert.

If you meant "what if they ruined it" Then they would have to pay.

Not sure what I'd do in this situation.

Too much time has elapsed from when it was bought, all I can say is, sorry that this happened to you.

Hopefully someone may chime in that has had this happen to them and can give you some advice.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    You sold the card in March and heard about this in August on a bump attempt? I don't like this scenerio at all. Did the buyer flip out when he contacted you?

I just don't like the fact that no one noticed this after many looks and PSA was absolutely sure and cracked the card out. Also, if folks were looking at this cards' bump potential---they were looking fairly hard.

If people can crack out high dollar cards and make the holder look perfect we are all in trouble.

Do you have receipt of the original purchase when you bought it...it's probably a PAYPAL purchase. They might be able to help out because in that case you were the buyer.

Proceed with caution. Until you gather all of the facts and do your homework you should not refund anything.

Mickey71
  • Options

<< <i>find a quick way to post pic might take a bit. >>

Leo

If you have a photobucket account you can upload it there and then copy and paste the url here in the message area.

If you do not have one they are free.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Legally you do not have to refund the money.

The buyer also assumed the risk of the bump. Every time you bring a card to PSA for review the owner risks this sort of thing.

A refund is up to you, but you are not legally obligated to give him the money back.

Patrick >>

Since when did you garner a law degree...

Speaking in such specifics without FACTUAL knowledge is dangerous.

In many states, this would be fraud REGARDLESS of whether the seller knew the item was tampered with or not. Accordingly, such blanket statements are foolish and misleading.

The seller would be best served to speak with legal council to determine his rights and obligations to the buyer in the matter rather than relying on the free legal advice of an uninformed message board poster.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Paypal records go back that far. Just do an advanced search for the time period where you think you bought it and go from there.
  • Options

<< <i>

Patrick >>

In many states, this would be fraud REGARDLESS of whether the seller knew the item was tampered with or not. Accordingly, such blanket statements are foolish and misleading.

The seller would be best served to speak with legal council to determine his rights and obligations to the buyer in the matter rather than relying on the free legal advice of an uninformed message board poster. >>

I don't have a law degree, but have two sisters and three brother-in-laws who do. I've been around this stuff too much.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

There was an implied warranty of authenticity when the OP
    sold the card. That warranty appears to have been met by
    the OP. There was no warranty by the OP of the validity of
    PSA's grade.

Liability for the fact that the card is "altered" - whether PSA
    missed it the first time OR the card was switched after being
    graded - falls on the OP as the seller of the altered card.

PSA is not liable for the misuse/abuse of their product; though
    the slabs are not as "secure" as they could be.

As disgusting as it is, the OP is liable for the refund, IF there is no
    valid defense that the buyer himself tampered the case and switched
    the card BEFORE he submitted the slab to PSA for a possible bump.

It is almost never possible to pass a glued slab onto a sophisticated
    buyer. A slab with a defective seal can sometimes be opened with
    lateral pressure and a cautious thumbnail; it can then be resealed
    without glue and with no trace of tampering.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA claimed it was a problem they had seen before , and yes the card was real they said it looked like it had been altered, and they supposedly new their was a problem before they took the card out. wish I could find a quick way to post pic might take a bit. Also card was purchased by me on the Bay about 5-6 years ago out of Texas I believe. I dont think EBAY has records kept that last that long. (could be wrong let me know if true). Case looked normal to everyone that saw it. >>

open a photobucket acct upload to photobucket and the link it from photobucket using that little thing that looks like a photo on the tab above. if not email me a pic and I will post it for you also turn on your (private message) PM and I will send you my email addy or just check my sunglasses out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Patrick >>

The seller would be best served to speak with legal council to determine his rights and obligations to the buyer in the matter rather than relying on the free legal advice of an uninformed message board poster. >>

I don't have a law degree, but have two sisters and three brother-in-laws who do. I've been around this stuff too much. >>

So that qualifies you to give legal advise that may, in fact, be incorrect and leave the seller at risk of legal action? My cousin is a cardiac surgeon, but that doesn't mean I can perform open heart surgery!

Sometimes, it is best to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Patrick >>

I don't have a law degree, but have two sisters and three brother-in-laws who do. I've been around this stuff too much. >>

So that qualifies you to give legal advise that may, in fact, be incorrect and leave the seller at risk of legal action? My cousin is a cardiac surgeon, but that doesn't mean I can perform open heart surgery!

Sometimes, it is best to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! >>

lighten up man, legally he doesn't have to issue the refund, despite what many posters here have said. The buyer purchased a PSA 8 and it was a PSA 8 until he decided to take a gamble on his purchase and resubmit the card.

What's the harm if he followed the advice of not refunding the money? What's the harm if you performed open heart surgey? Big difference.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Patrick >>

Sometimes, it is best to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! >>

lighten up man, legally he doesn't have to issue the refund, despite what many posters here have said. The buyer purchased a PSA 8 and it was a PSA 8 until he decided to take a gamble on his purchase and resubmit the card.

What's the harm if he followed the advice of not refunding the money? What's the harm if you performed open heart surgey? Big difference. >>

I guess you weren't invited to the MENSA meeting again...

Given both scenarios, there is the possibility of being sued. The seller, potentially, for fraud and me, potentially, for practicing medicine without a license. Just like you are playing lawyer without knowing the law.

I give up, though. You obviously have all the answers . . . even if they are WRONG!
  • Options
    This would be more of a civil matter than criminal. In most states to prove fraud you have to prove intent as well beyond any doubt.
  • Options

<< <i>This would be more of a civil matter than criminal. In most states to prove fraud you have to prove intent as well beyond any doubt. >>

True. The point being, such a blanket statement made by Patrick could put the seller at risk. Depending upon the state, the seller may be at risk as he may have an obligation to make the buyer whole and should not just ignore the situation.
  • Options
    pm turned on
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>. >>

such a blanket statement >>

it's called common sense...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>. >>

such a blanket statement >>

it's called common sense... >>

Great! When you get some, please let us know. Until then, try speaking in specifics about only things you know for fact...

End of conversation!
  • Options

"..."What's the harm if he followed the advice of not refunding the money?..."

////////////////////////

If the buyer is not a crook, the "harm" could be:

1. A damaged reputation as a seller.

2. A small-claims action to recover the purchase price.

3. A fraud allegation filed with a LEO.

The time lag seems somewhat compelling at first glance,
    but it really is not.

Many collectors toss items in a safe and don't look at them
    again for years.

The "fraud" element does not come into play until it is discovered.
    The SOL then starts ticking; years after the sale of expensive
    collectibles, an aggressive/sophisticated buyer still has recourse if
    he can convince a judge that he was cheated AND discovered the
    fraud much later.

As I noted, if there is some "valid" notion that the complaining
    buyer switched the card it is a defense, but the burden is on
    the OP to prove that theory. That would be tough to do in the
    instant circumstance.

• Options
    It sounds like you have the card now? If so, I guess I would give a refund. If not, I would likely give a refund,, but if I took the card back...then he would kinda be stupid to take it back from me, as that makes his civil case simple...I would think.

Tough deal. It is getting harder and harder to be seller.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Do not have the card yet, I agree, sell a card graded from a notable grading company only to find that their are ways to switch cards with out people who deal all day with this kind of merchandise knowing that the card has been switched. Makes you think that raw might be a safer as way to sell. You buy what you see with know guarantees. Sent scan to Diamondman from email hopefully he will post!
  • Options

<< <i>The buyer purchased a PSA 8 and it was a PSA 8 until he decided to take a gamble on his purchase and resubmit the card. >>

Patrick you don't really believe that do you? It was never a PSA 8 since when taken to be reviewed/bumped it was found to be altered.

It was only a PSA 8 in theory, and only during the time Leo had it.

Leo your PM's are not turned on btw.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Take two, PM on!
  • Options
    After reading hundreds of posts about resubbing cards that were at first given EOT and then getting a grade on the 2nd attempt I think that once you get the card back you could send it in and have a good chance of them slabbing it.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Since you talked to PSA and they confirmed the story, doesn't sound like the buyer is trying to scam you. I guess it's all about personal integrity. The fact that you didn't know the item was bad prior to the sale does not excuse you from the fact that you passed a bad product. Even though you may not have bad intentions you are now fully aware the item was not as advertised. And it's really unfortunate you fell victim to someone else's scam.

No different than that guy the other day who sold a trimmed card, and claims he knew nothing about it. But of course he also claims he chose not to send it to PSA, despite it being of the biggest names in the sport and appearing to be a sharp card....
  • Options
    Patrick, I should add that my above statement is valid only if the buyer has done no wrong.

Of course if he is pulling a fast one then it had been a PSA 8 all along.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    does the serial numbers match, hypithetical= buyer bought it and took his fraud card to psa got the word it was bad, kept the card you sold him then returned the results from his junk, thus giving him a free high grade card,, just a thought, if the serial numbers match from what psa has to what you sold then its on you i guess,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I think the real question is not whether you have to refund the seller, but rather should you refund him. The fact that the card left the seller's possession, and for several months at that, would make it difficult for the buyer to bring an a successful allegation of fraud/contract breach against the seller. The first question/defense from the seller would concern whether the buyer altered the card - which is certainly a possibility as someone apparently did. Personally, I don't think that the buyer did it, but I also would not refund the money without a lot more facts, discussion with PSA, and certainly the card as well. The real problem I see here for the seller is that AFTER the sale there were a lot of decisions and events that took place w/o his input that he is now being asked to own/be stuck with. If I'm going to have to eat some loss or costs I want to at least be able to have had some control over the situation. Depending on the facts, I would offer to split it with the buyer and/or ask PSA for some help too in the resolution (vouchers maybe for both parties - this episode isn't good for them either). Good luck.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the real question is not whether you have to refund the seller, but rather should you refund him. The fact that the card left the seller's possession, and for several months at that, would make it difficult for the buyer to bring an a successful allegation of fraud/contract breach against the seller. The first question/defense from the seller would concern whether the buyer altered the card - which is certainly a possibility as someone apparently did. Personally, I don't think that the buyer did it, but I also would not refund the money without a lot more facts, discussion with PSA, and certainly the card as well. The real problem I see here for the seller is that AFTER the sale there were a lot of decisions and events that took place w/o his input that he is now being asked to own/be stuck with. If I'm going to have to eat some loss or costs I want to at least be able to have had some control over the situation. Depending on the facts, I would offer to split it with the buyer and/or ask PSA for some help too in the resolution (vouchers maybe for both parties - this episode isn't good for them either). Good luck. >>

I like this solution best, especially if the buyer is reasonable and has as much faith in you as you do in him.
    Although you as the seller are ultimately responsible for the slab, the buyer also has to know that if you chose to be a hard*ss about this, it could cost him more in time, headaches and legal costs than the card is worth.
    I don't see PSA issuing vouchers here, though.
  • Options
    Where's the scan? Let's quit the legal bull. The holder was not even frosted?

Whoever wants any legal advice I will give it for free...I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Scott, do you need any legal advice?image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the real question is not whether you have to refund the seller, but rather should you refund him. The fact that the card left the seller's possession, and for several months at that, would make it difficult for the buyer to bring an a successful allegation of fraud/contract breach against the seller. The first question/defense from the seller would concern whether the buyer altered the card - which is certainly a possibility as someone apparently did. Personally, I don't think that the buyer did it, but I also would not refund the money without a lot more facts, discussion with PSA, and certainly the card as well. The real problem I see here for the seller is that AFTER the sale there were a lot of decisions and events that took place w/o his input that he is now being asked to own/be stuck with. If I'm going to have to eat some loss or costs I want to at least be able to have had some control over the situation. Depending on the facts, I would offer to split it with the buyer and/or ask PSA for some help too in the resolution (vouchers maybe for both parties - this episode isn't good for them either). Good luck. >>

I like this solution best, especially if the buyer is reasonable and has as much faith in you as you do in him.
    Although you as the seller are ultimately responsible for the slab, the buyer also has to know that if you chose to be a hard*ss about this, it could cost him more in time, headaches and legal costs than the card is worth.
    I don't see PSA issuing vouchers here, though. >>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1. PSA has ZERO liability here.

2. An implied warranty on a collectible can be "forever."

3. The OP's buyer has NO further obligation to the OP.
    Expecting him to "share" the damages is an optimistic
    stretch. He was under no obligation to tell the OP what
    action he was going to take with the card or when he
    was going to take such action.

4. The person who harmed the OP was the EBAYer who
    sold the OP the altered card; UNLESS, the current buyer
    did a switcheroo. In theory, the OP could chase the EBAY
    seller.

5. "Time and headaches" are slight in Small Claims, assuming
    the OP sold the card to a buyer in the OP's home state.

WE have NO way to know if the buyer switched the card.
    My best WAG is that the EBAYer switched the card or
    knew it was bad when he sold it to the OP.

There is close to ZERO way to prove the OP's buyer was
    the switcher. IF the OP has a history of being a scammer,
    the judge might be convinced. Otherwise, NO WAY.

If the card is returned to the OP, getting it back into a PSA
    slab - at some point - may not be impossible.

There are other TPGs that might also slab it.

Thus, the card may have some future "value."

Some folks are easy to burn. They just give up and move
    on. Others are MUCH more difficult.

If the complaining buyer is a bulldog, it may be MUCH easier
    for the OP to simply refund the money.

• Options
    Hey Mike tried to e-mail you the photos a couple of times last night the Hotmail address would not take. Is it still active? Mark
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Given the amount of time it was in the buyer's possession, it seems like it would be difficult for the buyer to prove that the card was in the original condition in which he bought it. It would be a very different story if, right after the Chantilly show, the card was shipped via Registered Mail to PSA for Review. This was not the case, and many, many months passed whilst in the buyer's possession.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>This would be more of a civil matter than criminal. In most states to prove fraud you have to prove intent as well beyond any doubt. >>

Yep. If taken to small claims court, the buyer would have a slim chance to win.

To the OP..Do not give the buyer a refund. He took the risk and was only trying to make a fast buck. And no way to know if he switched or altered the card himself

If the buyer did indeed do nothing wrong, he could file a case against PSA with the better business bureau.
  • Options
    Small claims, which this is, is not "well beyond any doubt." In small claims you just have to show it is reasonable, such in the case of OJ. The judge is more a moderator. (Or at least that is my understanding.)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Ah, When It Was A Game...........
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, When It Was A Game........... >>

It still sort of is....just a crappy game. Like Monopoly travel...it's not like the original.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

The standard of proof in Small Claims is "preponderance of evidence."
    That means "more likely than not." It is an ever so slight burden;
    51/49 wins.

The amount of time that passed between the sale and the claim -
    provided the SOL is met - is NEVER dispositive on its own, but
    may be cumulative to disposition.

Raising the notion that the OP's buyer switched the card is fun,
    but the judge wants the OP to "prove it." That the buyer "might"
    have switched the card, is no proof at all.

Nobody knows for sure what will happen in ANY court proceeding,
    unless the judge is a crook. BUT, in the instant case, my money
    would be on the buyer; and, it's not even a close call.

• Options
    You know what I'm having a problem with---------we're talking about a $1000 card from a dealer who can't scan or post a picture. MLRMLEO...have you ever sold on EBAY? When we do see these pictures some century--what are we going to see?---The card in the holder with the cert clearly visible, card broken out of holder, and raw card and most importantly the edges of the holder before crack out.

Mickey71